1. Bootdisk fails on Qlogic Fast!SCSI VLB controller
[posted to: comp.os.linux.hardware, comp.os.linux.setup,
I'm trying to install Slackware 3.0 on a 486/66 with the following
QLogic Fast!SCSI-2 VLB controller
Micropolis 2217 1.7GB fast SCSI-2 HD
IBM 540MB fast SCSI-2 HD
Orchid Kelvin-64 VLB with 2MB
SoundBlaster 16 w/ASP chip
Matsushita-Kotobuki (sp) CD-ROM hooked to the SB16
VLB HD controller with I/O, VLB disabled (used only for I/O)
Zoom 28.8 v.34i internal modem
I'm using the sbpcd.s image for my 1.44MB boot disk and the color.gz
image for my root disk.
When I try to boot the sbpcd.s floppy, it goes through a bunch of
device loads like it should (I had linux installed on this machine a
LONG time ago and most of the peripherals have changed since then
including going from IDE to SCSI). When it gets to the SCSI adapter it
detects the host adapter, then fries when searching for the first
It obviously hits the HD because the light comes on and stays on, but
the drive doesn't thrash. The computer just hangs, kbd locks, etc.
What should I do next? All I have found so far in my documentation is
that the card is "explicitely supported" and has no command line
parameters for the device driver.
I've checked to make sure I didn't need external termination since in
Win95 I can get the machine to boot with and without external
termination (used to have a scanner on it, and put the scanner back on
it for external termination, same result).
Unfortunately I've butchered my installation of Win95 in this process
(I didn't touch the Win95 drive, but did empty out what I thought was
an unused second partition), so right now the poor thing is sitting in
DOS (actually, it's off right now)
ANY pointers would be helpful ... I'd really love to get this puppy
going with Linux so I have telnet access to my LAN from remote ...
something I SORELY miss under Win95 and NT4.
"Some call me Crazy,
Some politely call me Free." - John Popper
2. Apache 1.3.9 hangs once a week
3. **** Qlogic fast/wide PCI SCSI: the fastest controller? ****
4. WAN Management using Linux (like OpenView)?
5. Looking for a driver for the Qlogic Fast Scsi IQ PCI card.
6. lilo env variables not available in rc.local
7. OS5 driver for QLogic or Ultrastor SCSI controllers
8. Westell 6100 Modem driver
9. SCSI Orb drive with Qlogic FAST SCSI
10. QLogic Fast!SCSI adapter card and Solaris x86
11. Qlogic Fast!SCSI ISA Support?
12. Qlogic Fast!SCSI - IQ PCI
13. Install with a Qlogic ISA Fast FL SCSI Adapter