Linux 2.0.29 Kernel Support for SMP PPros

Linux 2.0.29 Kernel Support for SMP PPros

Post by Richard Hochro » Wed, 30 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Does anyone know how to recompile kernel ver 2.0.29 for SMP support?

Richard Hochron

Post by Frank Trietsc » Wed, 30 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> Does anyone know how to recompile kernel ver 2.0.29 for SMP support?

> Richard Hochron

Hi Richard,

you just have to enable the lines SMP and SMP_PROF  at the top of your
makefile in the src directory.

Much fun

 Frank

Post by Matt Kirsc » Wed, 30 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> Does anyone know how to recompile kernel ver 2.0.29 for SMP support?

Read /usr/src/linux/Documentation/SMP.txt

--
Mathew E. Kirsch, CLSE (Certifiable Linux Systems Engineer)
*Opinions expressed herein do not reflect those of my employer.

"If you don't have time to read the FAQ, I don't have time to read it to
you."

Post by Mike Meissne » Fri, 02 May 1997 04:00:00

> Does anyone know how to recompile kernel ver 2.0.29 for SMP support?

Sure, just edit the toplevel Makefile and remove the comment in front of the
'SMP = 1', reconfigure, clean, make from scratch, install.  I've been using
SMP 2.0.29 on this Dell Ppro for 1-2 weeks now.

Note, if you wish to install both a non SMP and SMP kernel with the same
version number and you use modules, it is best to also change the version
number (I changed mine to 2.0.29smp) by editing the SUBLEVEL variable.  This
way your modules for the SMP code will be installed in a different directory
than the modules for the non-SMP code.

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions (East Coast)
4th floor, 955 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA

Post by bill davids » Thu, 08 May 1997 04:00:00

| Note, if you wish to install both a non SMP and SMP kernel with the same
| version number and you use modules, it is best to also change the version
| number (I changed mine to 2.0.29smp) by editing the SUBLEVEL variable.  This
| way your modules for the SMP code will be installed in a different directory
| than the modules for the non-SMP code.

Wrong solution!! This will break the "LinuxVersionCode" macro in the
kernel, used in a number of places (SCSI drivers for sure, I was
bitten by this). Instead, add a leading zero so the value is still
numeric. No, it will not suddenly become octal.

The macro is used to compile code matching your kernel, and I
believe it is used in some network and filesystem stuff to detect
2.1.30 and later kernels, as well as in the SCSI drivers.

I'm running 2.0.30 (uni) and 2.0.030 (smp) doing this, and it works
as expected. As you say, change the sublevel variable, but leave it
numeric.
--

"As a software development model, Anarchy does not scale well."
                -Dave Welch