? how make linux boot from pcmcia flash memory card.

? how make linux boot from pcmcia flash memory card.

Post by Luca Gor » Fri, 03 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Hi,
I'm developing an embedded system based on linux with:
486 + 8Mb+ custom A/D+ flash memory card and NO HD.
I don't know if is possible make linux boot from PCMCIA 2Mbyte flash
memory card and load a reduced kernel. Does anyone already solved this
problem?
Thanks for the answers.

Luca Gori.

Post by David Hin » Wed, 08 Oct 1997 04:00:00

: Hi,
: I'm developing an embedded system based on linux with:
: 486 + 8Mb+ custom A/D+ flash memory card and NO HD.
: I don't know if is possible make linux boot from PCMCIA 2Mbyte flash
: memory card and load a reduced kernel. Does anyone already solved this
: problem?

It depends.  In general, you can't.  You can only *boot* from a device
that your BIOS knows how to configure and communicate with.  In some
cases, the BIOS can configure and boot from a PCMCIA device.  In
general, you can't boot from "linear" flash memory cards (i.e., Intel
or similar cards).  You *may* be able to boot from an ATA/IDE flash
card (i.e., Sandisk), if your BIOS supports it.

Now... putting the root filesystem on a PCMCIA device is a separate
issue, and is covered in the PCMCIA-HOWTO.

-- Dave