What hardware do I need for this??????

Post by Dale Weave » Wed, 17 Apr 1996 04:00:00

I would like to build a DNS using LINUX, but do not know exactly what
hardware configuration would be the best.  I have a 2gig drive, but
that's about it.  Could someone recommend a good setup for this?

thanx in advance

"There is a tendency throughout the universe for systems to become more
disordered, unless work is done to prevent it"
    -- ENTROPY
___

Wake Technical Community College          (919) 662-3506

What hardware do I need for this??????

Post by Mark Ha » Thu, 18 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> I would like to build a DNS using LINUX, but do not know exactly what
> hardware configuration would be the best.  I have a 2gig drive, but
> that's about it.  Could someone recommend a good setup for this?

DNS serving doesn't need much disk; 200M would be plenty.
the normal bind/named is annoyingly stupid about memory consumption,
so 16M is minimal.  lots of places (including my machines) actually
kill and restart the server regularly to keep it from getting huge
(12M is ludicrous!).  DNS won't really stress the net hardware much,
(lots of tiny datagrams) so even a cheapie ne2k should be fine.

regards, mark hahn.
--

                                        http://neurocog.lrdc.pitt.edu/~hahn/

1. DOS to Linux Upgrade: What hardware do I need?

: I have a 486/33 with 20MB RAM, with DOS/WIN 3.11 on it right now, and
: I am looking to upgrade the video card for when I Install Linux.  The
: video system right now:
:       Diamond Stealth VRAM (S3911 Chip) ISA - 1MB VRAM
:       NEC 3FGx 15" Monitor

: I know the Card will only do 800x600x256 on the 3FGx at around 60Hz,
: and that won't work for me, plus I don't think that old of a card is
: still supported..
It is to my knowledge.

: Anyway I am looking to find a good, fast ISA video card that will work
: in a machine with 20MB RAM.  (I have heard Mach64 Cards will not do
: this?)  I want to run an X-Server at 800x600, any advice/experience
: anyone has in these matters is greatly appriciated.
I am right now running 1280x1024 with a VIPER 9000. I have heard of others
have similar success with Diamond Stealth.

2. screwed up fstab

3. need to learn hardware troubleshooting - sound hardware conflict

4. Linux Mascott

5. Need advice on new Linux/*BSD-compatible hardware (and Linux Hardware Database is gone)

6. High Speed Serial (64K-256K) ?

7. Samba w/ DOS box - what does DOS need?

8. Scandinavian Chars

9. HARDWARE HARDWARE HARDWARE

10. HELP NEEDED: Need DOS emulator for WABI under Solaris

12. Hardware HOWTO maintenance done by Patrick Reijnen

13. Port of DOS hardware/software to SCO Unix