Please help CD-ROM with Media Vision Pro Audio Studio

Please help CD-ROM with Media Vision Pro Audio Studio

Post by Tim Dam » Tue, 09 May 1995 04:00:00

AARRGG!!

Now that I have that out of my system (not my Linux system... yet).   I have a
Pro Audio Studio sound card to which I have hooked a SCSI-2 complient CD-ROM
drive - a Toshiba 3601 which should be compatible with 3401.  The problem I am
having is that the kernel, on boot up, recognizes the interface and the drive,
but locks the system up when it tries to mount the CD.  I chose the PAS16
interface when I selected a boot disk, and tried every other one for SCSI as
well, but found nothing that will work.  I went ahead and installed from the
hard drive and tried to build a compatible kernel with that installation.  I
installed Slackware 2.2.0 from hard disk and rebuilt the kernel using some
configuration I pulled out of thin air - I really had no idea what I was
doing.  However, it worked!  I got a boot disk that would mount my CD.
Unfortunately, I had to do some other work with the kernel and installation
and lost that kernel in the process.  Now, I can't get a kernel built that
will recognize my CD!  I have tried many different combinations of SCSI
drivers and sound drivers, but have the same thing happen every time.  At boot
up, the kernel reports the interface as being a PAS16 and having a Toshiba
3601 drive connected to it, but when it goes to mount the disk, the CD spins a
bit, then the system locks up.  If I don't have a disk in the drive at boot
up, the system will boot properly, I just can't mount the CD.  Again, if I
try, the system locks up.  Has anyone had a similar experience with the PAS?
Does anyone have any advice as to an approach to solve this problem?  I would
greatly appreciate any advice.  Thanks,
                               Tim

1. Media Vision Pro 3D SCSI + CD-ROM?

I'm presently looking for a soundcard, and am considering the Media Vision
Pro 3D.  I see that there is now patch for the NCR 53c406a, and it mentions
support for the Pro 3D.

So, for anyone using that card and driver, any feedback?    I'm especially
interested in anyone using a CD-ROM attached on the SCSI.   Works?  Any
probems?

Thanks!

--

2. MuPad Fragen

3. installing Linux with Pro Audio Studio 16 CD-ROM

4. ANSI xterm

5. Help: Media Vision Pro Audio Spectrum 16

6. Problems after Glib & Gtklib upgrade

7. Media Vision + Sanyo H94A Cd-ROM

8. secure enough ?

9. Media Vision + Sanyo H94A CD-ROM

10. Media Vision CD-ROM

11. Installation problem with Media Vision SCSI CD-ROM

12. media vision pro audio 16 basic

13. Media Vision CD-ROM and sound card?