GoldStar 540 CD-Rom Setup Problems

Post by Nils Schulze-Halber » Sat, 09 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

I have a GoldStar 540 QuadSpeed CD-Rom and I won't get it to work under
Linux. I have tried the 470 Driver that comes with Slackware, but it
won't work. The CD-Rom is supposed to be a IDE CD-Rom, so I tried that
as well. Neither will it work.

Got any ideas?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Please mail replies to my email address, since I don't have frequent
access to a newsserver. Thanks again.

:Nils

Post by Datrix Solutio » Mon, 18 Nov 1996 04:00:00

: Hi,

: I have a GoldStar 540 QuadSpeed CD-Rom and I won't get it to work under
: Linux. I have tried the 470 Driver that comes with Slackware, but it
: won't work. The CD-Rom is supposed to be a IDE CD-Rom, so I tried that
: as well. Neither will it work.

: Got any ideas?

: Any help is greatly appreciated!

: Please mail replies to my email address, since I don't have frequent
: access to a newsserver. Thanks again.

: :Nils

How are you trying to install it? I have it working as master on second IDE
channel. Is it recognized on booting? Do you have IDE CD-ROM drivers installed?
If you get to see it on booting you are halfway there... I know this particular
drive has problems - you need to specify the blocksize when mounting: I don't
have the info here... mail me and I'll send it to you.

regards,
wayne

1. Installation Problems with Slackware 2.2.0 & Goldstar gcd-540 cd-rom

hi, i'm a unix/linux newbie, in need of help please:

i am attempting to install the slackware distribution (2.2.0) on my machine,
and am experiencing problems.

hardware:
o       austin 75 mhz pentium, pci bus
o       8mb edo ram,
o       850mb eide hdd,
o       15" svga montitor with ati mach 64 graphics card, 1 mb dram
o       4x cd-rom (packaged by reveal) but is a goldstar(?) gcd-r540b.

i have the cd-rom drive connected directly to the secondary ide slot on my
motherboard, and it is set to master. according to the documentation, this
config then uses the following dma,irq: 170,15.

i have tried using the "idecd" boot disk. the cd-rom _seemed_ to be detected
at boot-up, but (following the readme file) when i logged in as root, and
tried to mount the cd-rom on /mnt2, i got:

"mount mount point does not exist" (i did mkdir /mnt2 first).

i then also tried to let the "setup" utility auto-detect my cd-rom, which it
seemed to do (it reported finding one), but when i then tried to install the
software, i received an error on every read/write attempt (too quick to read).

questions:

1. does anyone have any experience with this cd-rom (gcd-540)? is the idecd
boot image the appropriate one to use?

2. do i need to pass any extra parameters to the system at boot time (before
logging in as root)? if so, what? any parameters with the address/irq of the
drive?

i have checked the faq, "getting started & installation guide" from LDP, and
que's "using linux", and many other sources of doc, but am unable to find
reference to this.

many thanks in advance for any help/advice :)

bruce.

2. POP filters in Kmail

3. PnP Linux Yggdrasil & Goldstar 540 CD?

4. Intel 2200 with Linux?

5. information on programming in C with Linux

6. Goldstar 540 CD won't work with SlakWare!!!!

7. Changing group membership

8. GoldStar CD-Rom Drive Setup

9. Problems with Goldstar 540 CDROM

10. RedHat 4.1: problems with GoldStar CD-ROM

11. Problem with GoldStar CD-ROM

12. IDE problem with Goldstar 8x CD-ROM