1. Installation Problems with Slackware 2.2.0 & Goldstar gcd-540 cd-rom
hi, i'm a unix/linux newbie, in need of help please:
i am attempting to install the slackware distribution (2.2.0) on my machine,
and am experiencing problems.
o austin 75 mhz pentium, pci bus
o 8mb edo ram,
o 850mb eide hdd,
o 15" svga montitor with ati mach 64 graphics card, 1 mb dram
o 4x cd-rom (packaged by reveal) but is a goldstar(?) gcd-r540b.
i have the cd-rom drive connected directly to the secondary ide slot on my
motherboard, and it is set to master. according to the documentation, this
config then uses the following dma,irq: 170,15.
i have tried using the "idecd" boot disk. the cd-rom _seemed_ to be detected
at boot-up, but (following the readme file) when i logged in as root, and
tried to mount the cd-rom on /mnt2, i got:
"mount mount point does not exist" (i did mkdir /mnt2 first).
i then also tried to let the "setup" utility auto-detect my cd-rom, which it
seemed to do (it reported finding one), but when i then tried to install the
software, i received an error on every read/write attempt (too quick to read).
1. does anyone have any experience with this cd-rom (gcd-540)? is the idecd
boot image the appropriate one to use?
2. do i need to pass any extra parameters to the system at boot time (before
logging in as root)? if so, what? any parameters with the address/irq of the
i have checked the faq, "getting started & installation guide" from LDP, and
que's "using linux", and many other sources of doc, but am unable to find
reference to this.
many thanks in advance for any help/advice :)
2. POP filters in Kmail
3. PnP Linux Yggdrasil & Goldstar 540 CD?
4. Intel 2200 with Linux?
5. information on programming in C with Linux
6. Goldstar 540 CD won't work with SlakWare!!!!
7. Changing group membership
8. GoldStar CD-Rom Drive Setup
9. Problems with Goldstar 540 CDROM
10. RedHat 4.1: problems with GoldStar CD-ROM
11. Problem with GoldStar CD-ROM
12. IDE problem with Goldstar 8x CD-ROM