How to setup Motorola SM56 modem in Redhat 7.2?

How to setup Motorola SM56 modem in Redhat 7.2?

Post by Georg » Sat, 26 Jan 2002 02:54:16

I am download Motorola SM56 Linux driver, and install the driver in Red Hat
7.2 using the following commands logged in as root:

#rpm -Uvh sm56-85.1-10.i386.rpm
#sm56setup

it is OK. But when using PPP dial configure, it can not found the modem!

it have /dev/modem -> /dev/sm56, but when I run setserial, the /dev/ttyS2
and /dev/ttyS3 port has none.

Please tell me how can I setup my modem?

Thanks

http://www.newsfeed.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----== 90,000 Groups! - 17 Servers! - Unlimited Download! =-----

How to setup Motorola SM56 modem in Redhat 7.2?

Post by Hh » Sat, 26 Jan 2002 20:23:38

i understand .because we have the same problem .

Quote:> *** post for FREE via your newsreader at post.newsfeed.com ***

> I am download Motorola SM56 Linux driver, and install the driver in Red
Hat
> 7.2 using the following commands logged in as root:

> #rpm -Uvh sm56-85.1-10.i386.rpm
> #sm56setup

> it is OK. But when using PPP dial configure, it can not found the modem!

> it have /dev/modem -> /dev/sm56, but when I run setserial, the /dev/ttyS2
> and /dev/ttyS3 port has none.

> Please tell me how can I setup my modem?

> Thanks

> http://www.newsfeed.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
> -----== 90,000 Groups! - 17 Servers! - Unlimited Download! =-----

How to setup Motorola SM56 modem in Redhat 7.2?

Post by Dennis Henrikse » Sun, 27 Jan 2002 21:20:26

The /dev/ttyS3 and /dev/ttysS2 are usually governed by the 'ordinary'
serial device driver and are therefore unrelated to the SM56 driver.

Which device name are you using, when activating the PPP ?

- does the SM56 driver load successfully ? Ie. does it show on the
output from lsmod(8) ? How about the contents of /proc/ioports and
/proc/devices do they show anything related to the SM56 ?

Btw. - where did you find the driver ?

/Dennis

> *** post for FREE via your newsreader at post.newsfeed.com ***

> I am download Motorola SM56 Linux driver, and install the driver in Red Hat
> 7.2 using the following commands logged in as root:

> #rpm -Uvh sm56-85.1-10.i386.rpm
> #sm56setup

> it is OK. But when using PPP dial configure, it can not found the modem!

> it have /dev/modem -> /dev/sm56, but when I run setserial, the /dev/ttyS2
> and /dev/ttyS3 port has none.

> Please tell me how can I setup my modem?

> Thanks

> http://www.newsfeed.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
> -----== 90,000 Groups! - 17 Servers! - Unlimited Download! =-----

How to setup Motorola SM56 modem in Redhat 7.2?

Post by Georg » Tue, 29 Jan 2002 02:53:26

The SM56 driver load successfully, it was download from Motorola SM56
download page.
After sm56 setup, I do not know how to setting something. The ppp dial
configure can search if there is modem but it do not found it. So After SM56
setup and before run the dial what can I do?

Thanks for still there are some guy in the world interesting about  Motorola
SM56 modem in Redhat Linux!

Post by zeljk » Tue, 29 Jan 2002 06:43:32

> Thanks for still there are some guy in the world interesting about?
> Motorola SM56 modem in Redhat Linux!

I'm interested,but I have to try it first...maybe tomorrow,did you properly
load motorola modules ?? What lsmod says ?
I think that in /dev directory must exist char file sm56 at which you have
to create symlink
ln -s /dev/sn56 /dev/modem
and then try with eg. minicom..if U can get any respond from modem.

1. Red Hat Linux 7.2 does not detect my Modem: Motorola SM56

Hi Vinay!

Make sure the modem is plugged in. If its not a soft-modem, you can go upto
the Dialup configuration(Red Hat Linux in GNOME Window Manager) and let the
modem tab autodetect for your modem. It worked for my internet Lucent
Winmodem, my Motorola BitSurfer ISDN "modem", and my TRON TTA120 ISDN
"modem".

-Nix

2. Shiva Network Modems & E-Mail Client

3. Modem not recognized Motorola SM56 Audio PCI (Red hat linux 7.2)

4. A graphics window and mouse widgets

5. modem Motorola SM56 PCI install problems on RedHat's Linux 6.1

6. 2.4.2 broke in-kernel ide_cs support

7. modem Motorola SM56 PCI internal 56K install problem in RedHat's Linux 6.1

8. RedHat docs

9. Instala??o Do Modem MOTOROLA SM56 Fax Modem no RH 8.0

10. sm56 work on redhat 7.2

11. Problemas con Sm56 con Redhat 7.2

12. motorla sm56 modem and RH 7.2

13. SM56 modem and RH 7.2