utmp not updating

Post by Paul Schillin » Thu, 15 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Greetings...

I recently updated to 2.0.8 and also updated gcc, libc, libg++ and
ld.so.  After doing this I noticed my utmp would not update the xterms I
closed until someone logged off my machine (or if I logged in on another
tty and logged off).  I am not certain when it started so I can't be
sure what made it start doing this but I am guessing it may have been
when I updated the libc.

An example of what happens...

I have 4 xterms open, a finger shows 5 logins (4 xterms and my tty1 to
go into X).  I close 3 xterms, finger still shows 5 logins.  I press
Ctrl+Alt+F2 and login on tty2, finger shows 6 logins.  I log off tty2
and go back into X, finger now shows 2 logins as it should.

I have tried getting a different color_xterm and the motif xterm and
both still gave me this problem.

Screen is not giving me this problem, only multiple xterms in X.

Please post or email a fix to this.

Thanks much.
Paul

1. utmp not updated after rsh

Sorry if this is a repost.  My first post appears to have been sent to
/dev/null.

My issue involves the updating of /etc/utmp.  When I do an rlogin from
a remote machine to my linux machine, then do a 'who -m', I get the
following:

linuxmachine!albonesi ttyp0    Dec 15 10:24 (remotemachine.domain)

However, when I use xrsh to connect to my linux machine
('xrsh linuxmachine xterm &'), which does the equivalent of
'rsh -n linuxmachine "setenv DISPLAY remotemachine:0;xterm" &',
and do a 'who -m' in the resulting xterm, I get:

linuxmachine!albonesi ttyp0    Dec 15 10:30 ( )

In other words, utmp doesn't get updated.  In other flavors of Unix
(Ultrix, OSF, HPUX, SunOS), utmp DOES get updated using rsh in this
way.  Does anyone know why it doesn't on linux?  Thanks.

Dave

---
Dave Albonesi

Knowles Engineering Building          phone: (413) 545-4492
University of Massachusetts           FAX:   (413) 545-4652
Amherst, MA  01003

2. Firewall and MSN Chat

3. /etc/utmp not updated, why ?

4. Interesting Route question

5. xterms not updating utmp

6. Why zap_page_ranges() not exported..?

7. How do I install a new driver? (3c59x)

8. xterm not updating utmp on exit

9. in.ttysnoopd not updating utmp on exit ?

10. utmp not getting updated correctly when a user logs out

11. utmp problem after libc update?

12. Problem updating utmp