SMP on a Celebris DP133

Post by rasmus.langaar » Sun, 14 Jul 2002 07:01:34

Hi - I'm trying to install Linux (RH, Mandrake) on a DEC Celebris
dual Pentium 133. Everything works fine during the install, and
when rebooting with a uniprocessor kernel things look OK,
albeit slow. When I try to boot the SMP kernel things get much
worse: Booting takes in the order of tens of minutes, X is _very_
difficult (in terms of performance), and running top -d 10 consumes
about 10 percent CPU - this is worse than one of my old 386's.
I've tried upgrading NT4 to W2k once, and it too churned to a
near stand-still - NT4 is fine, though - thought then it was because
of a need for a fresh install (besides, it didn't have a driver for my
3com NIC). Does anyone have a clue about this particular machine
and SMP and Linux? I'd be happy for a reply by mail as I'm not
online on news all the time...

THANX!  -r  :-)

PS: reply-to: rasmus-dot-langaard-at-eunet-dot-no

SMP on a Celebris DP133

Post by Steve Wolf » Sun, 14 Jul 2002 07:31:07

Quote:> Hi - I'm trying to install Linux (RH, Mandrake) on a DEC Celebris
> dual Pentium 133.

  I happen to have a DEC Celebris at home with dual P133's, and so far,
it's been a really decent system!

Quote:> Everything works fine during the install, and
> when rebooting with a uniprocessor kernel things look OK,
> albeit slow. When I try to boot the SMP kernel things get much
> worse: Booting takes in the order of tens of minutes, X is _very_
> difficult (in terms of performance), and running top -d 10 consumes
> about 10 percent CPU - this is worse than one of my old 386's.

  Something definitely sounds wrong here.  Which kernel is getting
installed?  Try booting to a uniprocesser kernel, and
downloading/compiling a "vanilla" kernel with only the options you need,
and see if that changes anything.  Also, tell us more - how much memory
does it have, have you disabled devices in the BIOS, what /proc/cpuinfo
and /proc/meminfo say, all the regular stuff.

  Your description makes it sound like it's very far from the performance
I get from mine.  I did put NT4 on it once, and it was about as useable as
a P3-650 running Win98.  ; )

steve

1. SMP on a Celebris DP133

[...]

2. Setting time in LinuxPPC 2k

3. screen wobbling/DEC Celebris

4. SIGCHLD not being handled properly: defuncts

5. Digital Celebris GL 200 & DEC 21142

6. Online .hpasswd change?

7. DEC Celebris 6200 / PCI Fast Ethernet 21142

8. HELP: cannot determine ethernet address for PROXY ARP

9. Linux and Digital Celebris

10. trap: 4(4150): protection fault & DEC Celebris

11. SMP - zombie processes with SMP enabled ...

12. Linux on Digital Celebris, Venturis?

13. IDE-disk to large for Digital Celebris 590?