Problem setting up networking on 4CPU SMP box

Problem setting up networking on 4CPU SMP box

Post by Konrad Neuwirt » Wed, 04 Dec 2002 03:11:32

Hi everyone,

  I'm currently trying to get a 4 processor SMP box to work, but
apparently am failing on the networking aspect.  The networking card
in question is an Intel Etherexpress that's onboard with the Super
S2QR6 mainboard that the box is using.  I've been trying both the e100
and the eepro100 drivers, each with either a preassigned interrupt or
letting the system choose.  It always ends up losing quite a bit of
packets on the local network; dmesg keeps claiming that the network is
disconnected, immediately followed by the message that it's back to
full-duplex.

  The distribution I've been working on is SuSE 8.0, and I'm slowly
running out of good ideas.  Googling around also didn't turn up
anything.

  Has anybody gotten that setup to run and would be willing to share a
few pointers?

Thanks,
 Konrad

--
"There is a considerable overlap in intelligence between the smarter
perl scripts and the dumber users. "     (Wolfgang Rupprecht)

Problem setting up networking on 4CPU SMP box

Post by Steve Wolf » Wed, 04 Dec 2002 03:41:38

Quote:>   I'm currently trying to get a 4 processor SMP box to work, but
> apparently am failing on the networking aspect.  The networking card
> in question is an Intel Etherexpress that's onboard with the Super
> S2QR6 mainboard that the box is using.  I've been trying both the e100
> and the eepro100 drivers, each with either a preassigned interrupt or
> letting the system choose.  It always ends up losing quite a bit of
> packets on the local network; dmesg keeps claiming that the network is
> disconnected, immediately followed by the message that it's back to
> full-duplex.

>   Has anybody gotten that setup to run and would be willing to share a
> few pointers?

  It sounds like you should be looking outside of the box, so to speak.
The symptoms seem more like a faulty connection, flaky cable/hub, etc..
Also, for what it's worth, I've been using an S2QR6 (in an 8050
chassis/mobo combo) for a few years now, without any problems.  They're
solid, reliable machines.

steve

Problem setting up networking on 4CPU SMP box

Post by Konrad Neuwirt » Wed, 04 Dec 2002 03:42:57

Hi Steve,

Quote:>   It sounds like you should be looking outside of the box, so to speak.
> The symptoms seem more like a faulty connection, flaky cable/hub, etc..
> Also, for what it's worth, I've been using an S2QR6 (in an 8050
> chassis/mobo combo) for a few years now, without any problems.  They're
> solid, reliable machines.

Well, the exact same cable (connected to the exact same port of our
switch) works perfectly in two other machines.  I'm certain that this
is not the case.

  What distribution are you running?

Konrad

--

Post by Steve Wolf » Wed, 04 Dec 2002 04:33:45

Quote:> >   It sounds like you should be looking outside of the box, so to
speak.
> > The symptoms seem more like a faulty connection, flaky cable/hub,
etc..
> > Also, for what it's worth, I've been using an S2QR6 (in an 8050
> > chassis/mobo combo) for a few years now, without any problems.
They're
> > solid, reliable machines.

> Well, the exact same cable (connected to the exact same port of our
> switch) works perfectly in two other machines.  I'm certain that this
> is not the case.

>   What distribution are you running?

  RedHat, but the kernels (and hence, the drivers) are "vanilla" kernels,
not RedHat's versions.

steve

1. PROBLEM: SMP lock ups on Intel SCB2 (2.4.19-2.4.21-pre4)

I tried linux kernels from 2.4.19 to 2.4.21-pre4 and all of them lock
up my server under heavy CPU load if i enable SMP. And after lookup i
have If i disable SMP
all works fine.
I tried win2K & winXP too and under this OSes both processors worked
fine under heavy load, but i like linux very much and hate win on
servers.
Please help me.
My hardware:
Intel SCB2 board with latest BIOS
Two PIII-1266MHz stepping 01
kernel lock ups after 10-30 minutes of heavy load with no messages on
console or in logs :(
But BIOS event log before lock up contain a lot of messages: Critical
interrupt #07.
Maybe it's hardware problem? But why windows still working fine for
more than 48h under heavy load ? :(

Please CC to me because i am not list subscriber

--
Best regards,

-

2. unresolved symbols...makefile problems

3. network problem (good speed from box, bad to box)

4. Help with ATI XPERT 98D 8MB AGP card

5. Shape Ups,Men's Shape Ups,Men's Skechers Shape Ups - new styles!

6. printing pageheaders in netscape.

7. Problem w/ Red Hat 7.0 detecting NIC in SMP box

8. RSH using ROOT from HP to DEC ALPHA

9. Newbie - Caldera networking Box set

10. Setting up network to a win98 box

11. Need help setting up Linux box to print on Novell network

12. How can set up my linux box to use network printer?

13. setting up a linux box on a network