Multiple Graphics Cards & Monitors

Post by Stuart Poulto » Sun, 15 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Hi

I'm looking for information on how to go about running 2 or more
monitors on linux from within an x windows environment.

Preferably, this should be obtained by using 2 graphics cards.

Any ideas I'd be most interested, so far can't find any info on this
anywhere.

Obviously not looking in the right place

--
Stuart Poulton

Post by Clemens Oerte » Tue, 17 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> I'm looking for information on how to go about running 2 or more
> monitors on linux from within an x windows environment.

try the Metro-X server. It can address up to 4 graphic cards.

Don't know any www-sites, try e* or the likes.

TTYL
Clemens

- When posted in a newsgroup, please reply via pm as well. Thanx. -

Clemens Oertel, Schwabstrasse 7, 72074 Tuebingen, Germany

Post by J. S. Jens » Thu, 19 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> I'm looking for information on how to go about running 2 or more
> monitors on linux from within an x windows environment.

Using muli-headed displays is a little complicated.  I have been
unsuccessfully trying this for I can not tell you how long.  It depends
on what you want to do.  Do you want two DISPLAYS? or two SCREENS?  Two
DISPLAYs isn't too difficult.  I am under the assumption that you want
two screens addressed by one X server; if want two screens then, as the
previous followup states you can use Metro X, however you will be
restricted to using only particular cards, and usually, unless things
have changed lately, they are only 16 colors at best.

Am I wrong? :-/\ It has been a while.

J. S. Jensen

1. Multiple monitors & Multiple cards

I'm thinking of buying a new system, and something I'd really like is
multiple monitors. I understand Xfree86 supports dual head systems, and
I was wondering if this configuration would work: a GeForce2 Ultra AGP
card with a Voodoo5 PCI card. The Xfree86 FAQ currently does not list
either of these cards being supported, but I was wondering if anyone
has had any luck running the GeForce Ultra under the nv driver? What
about Voodoo5? Anyone know when this card will be supported?

Thanks.

-Jeff

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Cloning a drive under linux.

3. Multiple monitors on single graphics card

4. ned help with re grep

5. Opinions on good graphics card & monitor for X sought.

6. HTTP Web server for AIX 4.1.3

7. Graphic Card & Monitor Configuration

8. OS patches - where to find them?

9. Graphics card & Monitor

10. Can X-windows graphics be displayed on multiple monitors

11. Which graphics card & sound card would be recommended for a new pc

12. openGL Graphics card/all around graphics card recommendations?

13. Multiple Graphics cards in 1000 anyone?