Sound recording

Post by Robe » Fri, 15 Jun 2001 22:01:20

My computer has Intel SE440BX mother board with Yamaha YMF740 PCI
onboard sound.
In RedHat 7.1 (kernel 2.4.2), sound recording doesn't work (using
GNOME sound recorder). When using 16-bit pcm, only silence is recorded
and in 8-bit, recorded sound quality is poor (noisy and interrupted).
It is the same when recording with dd command from /dev/dsp device.
However, playback works without problems. Mixer was correctly set to
microphone source.

I tried with newer kernel (2.4.5) and different configurations, but it
was always the same.
I'm using ymfpci kernel driver for sound card.

In windows, recording works fine and in good quality.

Can anyone help me?

Regards,
Robert

1. /dev/audio questions: sound recording?

Thanks to many who answered my questions regarding digital audio
extraction, CD-ROM writing, and the 4Front OSS drivers.  I now have a
working and reliable audio system in my FreeBSD box.  Just one more
question: I'd like to use my soundcard to sample old analog audio tracks
(tapes and vinyl LPs) and write the data onto an audio CD.  I tried things
like reading from /dev/audio and outputting to a file, and this does work
in some sense (i.e., some kind of sound gets recorded), but how is the data
formatted?  Is there a better way?

Procedures for line-in recording would be greatly appreciated.

-David

2. SLS 1.05 kernel build failed

3. Sound recording possible with RH 5.2?

4. Yamaha CD-RW IDE drive

5. Sound Recording Problems

6. 2.5.44-ac2 Make xconfig fails

7. Soundblaster sound recording...

8. split cache and swapcache statistics

9. kernel: Sound: Recording overrun

10. Sound Recording using ALSA?

11. linux sound recording sw

12. Correctly timing sound record/playback

13. Sound Record/Play for X