Kernel panic: aic7xxx: unrecoverable BRKADRINT...

Kernel panic: aic7xxx: unrecoverable BRKADRINT...

Post by Robert Banfil » Sat, 15 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hello,

I'm trying to install RedHat 6.1 on my Dell XPS-T450 computer.  This machine
has an older Adaptec AHA-2940 PCI SCSI host adapter in it.  Everything works
fine until the aic7xxx module loads.  At that point, the following messages
are displayed and the system hangs.  Been through all of the various setting
in the CMOS and so forth but I don't see any problems.  Here are the
details:

SCSI adapter BIOS version message at boot time:

   Adaptec AHA-2940 BIOS v1.11S

Boot messages:

   Everything looks normal up to here...

   (scsi0) <Adaptec AHA-294X SCSI host adapter> found at PCI 15/0
   (scsi0) Narrow Channel, SCSI ID=7, 16/255 SCBs
   scsi0 : Adaptec AHA274x/284x/294x (EISA/VLB/PCI-Fast SCSI) 5.1.20/3.2.4
          <Adaptec AHA-294X SCSI host adapter>
   scsi : 1 host.
   (scsi0) BRKADRINT error(0x48)
      Sequencer Ram Parity Error
      PCI Error detected
   (scsi0)   SEQADDR=0x17
   Kernel panic: aic7xxx: unrecoverable BRKADRINT.

   In interrupt handler - not syncing

At this point, the system is hung.  I've also seen the BRKADRINT error(0x8).
I think that is just the sequencer RAM parity error and no the PCI error.

This host adapter functions correctly under Windows 98SE so I don't think
that I believe that there is a hardware problem with the card or the basic
setup of the system.

Here's some vital statistics on the machine and OS:

RedHat 6.1 boxed CD (kernel 2.2.12-20)

Dell Dimension XPS-T450, BIOS version A04 (PhoenixBIOS 4.0 release 6.0).
Intel Pentium III 450 MHz.
128 MB SDRAM.
Diamond Viper 770D 16MB.
12 GB IDE disk, 40 CD-ROM, HP CDWriter 8100.
D-Link DFE-530TX PCI Ethernet controller.
Yamaha DS-XG PCI sound card.
ISA serial port board - 2 16550A UARTs, no parallel port.
3Com/USR PCI winmodem (I'm not expecting to use this under Linux but I
   do use it under Windows for now so I haven't pulled the card).

The additional serial ports are at 0x2F8/irq3 and 0x2E8/irq5.

I've been digging around on the net but I haven't been able to find anything
very helpful.  Any help or advise would be greatly apperciated.

Thanks in advance and best regards to all,

Kernel panic: aic7xxx: unrecoverable BRKADRINT...

Post by James A Wild » Tue, 18 Jul 2000 04:00:00

This is a bug in Linux, Robert.  See, for example, Red Hat bug report 10418.
I know that Doug Ledford was - hopefully still is - trying to fix it, and
had managed a fix for some variants.  I have also seen that some people can
make this adapter work with older versions of Linux - some people get it to
work with, for example, RH 6.0 or 6.1 but not 6.2 and so on.

The adapter works fine with Windows NT, FreeBSD and Solaris, so this is
definitely a Linux problem.  I don't see any activity from Adaptecs side,
either, but then Adaptec adapters are not the only ones with a problem - I
have the same problem (in the same machine) with a Tekram card which does
not, so far as I know, emulate Adaptec and does not use Adaptec drivers.

One thing I would appreciated knowing is how you make these messages
visible.  I see the long dmesg list flash past on the screen when the kernel
starts but as far as I know I have no means of saving the messages to file
for later analysis, and when it comes to the normal start-up procedures I
get a small window saying 'Loading aic7xxx drivers' which just sits there
till reboot, and have not found a way to see any panic messages.  How do you
do it?

James

Quote:> Hello,

> I'm trying to install RedHat 6.1 on my Dell XPS-T450 computer.  This
machine
> has an older Adaptec AHA-2940 PCI SCSI host adapter in it.  Everything
works
> fine until the aic7xxx module loads.  At that point, the following
messages
> are displayed and the system hangs.  Been through all of the various
setting
> in the CMOS and so forth but I don't see any problems.  Here are the
> details:

> SCSI adapter BIOS version message at boot time:

>    Adaptec AHA-2940 BIOS v1.11S

> Boot messages:

>    Everything looks normal up to here...

>    (scsi0) <Adaptec AHA-294X SCSI host adapter> found at PCI 15/0
>    (scsi0) Narrow Channel, SCSI ID=7, 16/255 SCBs
>    scsi0 : Adaptec AHA274x/284x/294x (EISA/VLB/PCI-Fast SCSI) 5.1.20/3.2.4
>           <Adaptec AHA-294X SCSI host adapter>
>    scsi : 1 host.
>    (scsi0) BRKADRINT error(0x48)
>       Sequencer Ram Parity Error
>       PCI Error detected
>    (scsi0)   SEQADDR=0x17
>    Kernel panic: aic7xxx: unrecoverable BRKADRINT.

>    In interrupt handler - not syncing

> At this point, the system is hung.  I've also seen the BRKADRINT
error(0x8).
> I think that is just the sequencer RAM parity error and no the PCI error.

Kernel panic: aic7xxx: unrecoverable BRKADRINT...

Post by Robert Banfil » Tue, 18 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi James,

Quote:> One thing I would appreciated knowing is how you make these messages
> visible.  I see the long dmesg list flash past on the screen when the
kernel
> starts but as far as I know I have no means of saving the messages to file
> for later analysis, and when it comes to the normal start-up procedures I
> get a small window saying 'Loading aic7xxx drivers' which just sits there
> till reboot, and have not found a way to see any panic messages.  How do
you
> do it?

I was booting off of the factory CD in expert mode.  I manually loaded the
module and watched the output on vitrual console 4 (by pressing Alt-F4).  I
had to get over there before the machine hung.  When I boot off of the hard
disk, I also see all of these messages on the console and because the
machine hangs, they stay on the display.  Once I had them on the display, I
just typed them into the message on another machine.  Sorry, no nifty tricks
here.

Regards,

Robert

Kernel panic: aic7xxx: unrecoverable BRKADRINT...

Post by Robert Banfil » Tue, 18 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Here's a bit of an update:

I looked into RedHat bug #10418 and downloaded the latest aic7xxx driver
(5.1.31) from Doug Ledfords web page
(http://people.redhat.com/dledford/aic7xxx.html).  This did not change
anything, I still get exactly the same behavior.

Regards,

Robert Banfill

1. Kernel panic: aic7xxx: unrecoverable BRKADRINT

I have an old 486 EISA box that I want to use for a firewall/NAT box.
It has an Adaptec 2742T EISA SCSI controller.

During the install I specify aic7xxx as the device driver for the 2742T.
I get the message

Kernel panic: aic7xxx: unrecoverable BRKADRINT

Pervious postings referenced URL:
http://www.redhat.com/support/errata/RHBA-2000010-01.html
as a possible fix for the above problem.

This was obsoleted by:
http://www.redhat.com/support/errata/RHBA-2000-015.html

From the information found at:
http://www.redhat.com/support/errata/rh62-errata-general.html

I went to:
anaconda updates (RHBA-2000-015) installer updates for Red Hat Linux 6.2

From the WEB page above
---
The updated bootdisk from bug fix
http://www.redhat.com/support/errata/RHBA-2000010-01.html is
required to use this update disk.

The boot diskettes shipped with Red Hat Linux 6.2 Intel do not support
anaconda updates. Booting from CDROM will not allow the updates disk
to be used.
---

I downloaded boot-20000407.img and update-disk-20000419.img
I made the boot and driver disks using rawrite. I can boot from the
boot-20000407.img disk, but when asked to load the driver disk, I insert
the driver disk, press OK and I get

The floppy disk you inserted is
not a valid driver disk for this
release of Red Hat Linux.

Also from the above WEB page:
---
Follow the instructions in Red Hat Linux Installation Guide to make a
floppy boot disk from one of the following files located at
ftp://updates.redhat.com/6.2/en/os/images/i386:

boot-20000407.img
bootnet-20000407.img
pcmcia-20000407.img

In addition, you will need to make a floppy disk from:

update-disk-20000419.img

A pointer to the online documentation is provided in the References
section of this advisory.

(Note: you only need one of the boot images; users installing from
CD will only need boot-20000407.img)

(Note: when creating the update disk image under a Linux-like OS,
do not specify the "bs=1440k" argument to dd since the update disk
image is not an entire floppy in length.)

When booting into the anaconda installation program, type "linux
updates" at the boot prompt, followed by any other installation
options which are required (such as "expert" or "text" or "ks").
The installation process will prompt you to insert the updates
disk when it is required, and the install will then proceed as
normal.
---

I downloaded files from the above, made disks using rawrite and
had the same trouble.

Would Someone please tell me what I am doing wrong.

Thanks

Mike

2. inode to filename?

3. Kernel panic: aic7xxx: unrecoverable BRKADRINT...

4. File Size for Log Rotation

5. Kernel panic: aic7xxx: unrecoverable BRKADRINT. In swapper task - not syncing.

6. Config file for Genoa Phantom 64

7. kernel panic: aha274x_isr: brkadrint, error = 0x1, seqaddr = 0x0

8. Can't bind port 161

9. SCSI problem: No BIOS32, AIC7xxx host, and interrupt BRKADRINT 0x1

10. Kernel Panic with aic7xxx driver 6.2.1 in kernel 2.4.9

11. Kernel panic: Loop 1 (aic7xxx under 2.4.13-ac[246])

12. 2.2.19pre9 Kernel panic aic7xxx

13. Boot time Kernel Panic AIC7xxx Awaiting_Msg