CD-changers with Linux: Nec 4x4?

Post by erkk.. » Sun, 20 Apr 1997 04:00:00

How is support for cd-changers under Linux? It would be nice to have one,
as I've seen them for sale for about $70. As only one CD can be used at a
time, there must be a utility to change the disk? (They can't be mapped
into different devices or something.) Are there standardized utilities for
doing this? I believe this Nec-drive is IDE, I'm not 100% certain, though
- but SCSI-utilities won't do?

By the way - in case you happen to own such a beast - does the drive (or
other cheap 4-cd-changer) support cd-da?

 ,,   ,,  ,, ,,  ,,,  |  --> http://www.sci.fi/~tes/flux/ | \\  `  Sigma  |
 ''   ''  '' ''   ''  |                                   |  \>           |
 ,,,, ,,  ,, ,,  ,,   | flux/Inside Informatics ry        | _/__, project |
 '''' ''  '' ''  '''  |  --> http://inside.edu.lahti.fi/  | ~~~~          |
 ,,   ,,,  ,,,  ,, ,, |___________________________________|_______________|

CD-changers with Linux: Nec 4x4?

Post by system PRIVILEGED accoun » Mon, 21 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Check out /usr/src/linux/Documentation/cdrom/ide-cd.

There is a very small program at the end called cdload.c that will change the
cd's for you.  I have been using it for 6 months now.  The only pain is you
must first umount the cd before you change it.  A real changer would be a
real plus.

Good luck
Jim

: How is support for cd-changers under Linux? It would be nice to have one,
: as I've seen them for sale for about $70. As only one CD can be used at a
: time, there must be a utility to change the disk? (They can't be mapped
: into different devices or something.) Are there standardized utilities for
: doing this? I believe this Nec-drive is IDE, I'm not 100% certain, though
: - but SCSI-utilities won't do?

: By the way - in case you happen to own such a beast - does the drive (or
: other cheap 4-cd-changer) support cd-da?

:  ,,   ,,  ,, ,,  ,,,  |  --> http://www.sci.fi/~tes/flux/ | \\  `  Sigma  |
:  ''   ''  '' ''   ''  |                                   |  \>           |
:  ,,   ,,,  ,,,  ,, ,, |___________________________________|_______________|

Post by My secre » Tue, 22 Apr 1997 04:00:00

: Check out /usr/src/linux/Documentation/cdrom/ide-cd.

: There is a very small program at the end called cdload.c that will change the
: cd's for you.  I have been using it for 6 months now.  The only pain is you
: must first umount the cd before you change it.  A real changer would be a
: real plus.

: Good luck
: Jim

Kewl....

: : How is support for cd-changers under Linux? It would be nice to have one,
: : as I've seen them for sale for about $70. As only one CD can be used at a
: : time, there must be a utility to change the disk? (They can't be mapped
: : into different devices or something.) Are there standardized utilities for
: : doing this? I believe this Nec-drive is IDE, I'm not 100% certain, though
: : - but SCSI-utilities won't do?

: : By the way - in case you happen to own such a beast - does the drive (or
: : other cheap 4-cd-changer) support cd-da?
I own one of these! hehe... but i dont know how to get linux 1.2.13 to
switch to another cd without ejecting tray 1 and replacing the cd.

Any help would be useful ppl.

Thanks in advance

Post by Matt Kirsc » Tue, 22 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> I own one of these! hehe... but i dont know how to get linux 1.2.13 to
> switch to another cd without ejecting tray 1 and replacing the cd.

You could download and compile the "eject" utility.
Since 1.2.13 doesn't have a Documentation directory,
the ide-cd.txt file doesn't exist. The eject utility
also switches disks.

--
Mathew E. Kirsch, CLSE (Certifiable Linux Systems Engineer)
*Opinions expressed herein do not reflect those of my employer.

"If you don't have time to read the FAQ, I don't have time to read it to
you."

Notice to readers: Do not email me directly with questions. I will
ignore them.
It is unfair to the rest of the readers in the group to not have your
question
and any subsequent answers to reference. If you have a problem, please
post it
to the newsgroup like everyone else.

:
: There is a very small program at the end called cdload.c that will change the
: cd's for you.  I have been using it for 6 months now.  The only pain is you
: must first umount the cd before you change it.  A real changer would be a
: real plus.

Is it really that difficult to add the extra few lines of code :)