help! ETHEREXPRESS locks system

Post by Andreas Huette » Mon, 09 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Please, can anybody help me??

I am trying to install Linux (SuSE distribution, kernel 1.99.8 (but I
also tried 2.0.4)) on two 486 machines with Intel Exterexpress 16 cards.

Whenever I initialize the cards, the system hangs up completely. (The
last boot message I see is "Configuring ... eth0".) Booting without
network works fine; but an "ifconfig" produces the same result.

The diagnostic program from the Ethernet-HOWTO reports a wrong checksum
and tells me it "couldnt find the board after a reset". But Intels own
SOFTSET utility says the card is working fine; the sad thing is that it
indeed does so under Windows.

I have checked IRQ and IO ports - everything is ok.
Kernel 1.2.13 works slow and instable, but it works... (this is no
solution on the long run, as I need IP masquerading soon)

In case you have any idea what to do, please let me know!

Andreas Huettel

Max-Planck-Strasse 1
81627 Muenchen

Post by ro.. » Tue, 10 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>Kernel 1.2.13 works slow and instable, but it works... (this is no

solution on the long run, as I need IP masquerading soon)

What are the IRQ's and IO's?  The module does not seem to load at most io addresses.  I had to go to 0x270 .  Mine is IRQ 5.  You may try compiling the driver not as a module.  Mine installed RedHat Rembrandt over the Internet (100mb or more) after the module finally found it.

:)

Post by Andreas Huette » Wed, 11 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> >Kernel 1.2.13 works slow and instable, but it works... (this is no
> solution on the long run, as I need IP masquerading soon)

> What are the IRQ's and IO's?  The module does not seem to load at most
>io addresses.  I had to go to 0x270 .  Mine is IRQ 5.

IRQ 5, io 0x300

Quote:>You may try compiling the driver not as a module.

I have not compiled the driver as module.

Thanks a lot!

Max-Planck-Strasse 1
81627 Muenchen

Post by ro.. » Tue, 17 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>IRQ 5, io 0x300

Try 0x270 and a new kernel. (2.0.x) :)