Advice Wanted...

Advice Wanted...

Post by The Wise One » Wed, 01 Jul 1998 04:00:00



I am a frustrated WinDoze user whose primary PC is a Toshiba Satellite 220
laptop. 133mhz Pentium, 1.4 gig HD, Chips and Technologies PCI video,
swapable floppy and CD-ROM.

I am very interested in learning about UNIX/LINUX and its different
iterations from Red Hat, Caldera et. al.

Where would be a good place to learn? Which OS version might be best suited
for my configuration? What are the advantages of Red hat over Caldera or
vice versa?

My sincere thanks in advance...


 
 
 

Advice Wanted...

Post by Crispin Cow » Wed, 01 Jul 1998 04:00:00




Quote:>I am a frustrated WinDoze user whose primary PC is a Toshiba Satellite 220
>laptop. 133mhz Pentium, 1.4 gig HD, Chips and Technologies PCI video,
>swapable floppy and CD-ROM.

The Toshiba laptop is an excellent candidate for use with Linux:  Linux
device drivers are available for most of the chips & devices that
Toshiba uses.  The 220 should be no problem.

Quote:>Where would be a good place to learn? Which OS version might be best suited
>for my configuration? What are the advantages of Red hat over Caldera or
>vice versa?

Both vendors supply excellent information on their respective web
pages:

http://www.redhat.com
http://www.caldera.com

Which is better?  Largely a matter of taste; both are excellent.

My (highly subjective) impression is that:

        Red Hat support is broader:  they cover more range
        Caldera support is deeper:  they provide excellent products to
            solve particular problems, e.g. the WABI win3.1 emulator,
            and the new NetWare server.

I use Red Hat operating systems, and we've purchased several copies of
the WABI windows emulator.

Crispin
-----
 Crispin Cowan, Research Assistant Professor of Computer Science, OGI
    StackGuard: protect your software against Stack Smashing Attack
       http://www.cse.ogi.edu/DISC/projects/immunix/StackGuard/

                 Support Justice:  Boycott Windows 98

 
 
 

Advice Wanted...

Post by Timote » Wed, 01 Jul 1998 04:00:00


What the hell do you want to dump Windoze for Linux.  Instead of your OS
crashing you will have a stable OS in which you cannot do an thing with
because none of your devices will work nor NIC cards or Modems unless you
have some how the magic Linux touch that will configure these things
automatically because if you think there are clear cut instructions out
there you are dead wrong!

 
 
 

Advice Wanted...

Post by Jerem » Thu, 02 Jul 1998 04:00:00



> I am a frustrated WinDoze user whose primary PC is a Toshiba Satellite 220
> laptop. 133mhz Pentium, 1.4 gig HD, Chips and Technologies PCI video,
> swapable floppy and CD-ROM.

> I am very interested in learning about UNIX/LINUX and its different
> iterations from Red Hat, Caldera et. al.

> Where would be a good place to learn? Which OS version might be best suited
> for my configuration? What are the advantages of Red hat over Caldera or
> vice versa?

> My sincere thanks in advance...



 Try these for a start:
http://www.linux.org
http://www.redhat.com
http://www.caldera.com
http://www.suse.com/index_us.html
http://www.ssc.com/lg/
http://www.pcquest.com/may98/linux.html

for very inexpensive distributions go:
http://www.cheapbytes.com
There you can get 4 or 5 different distributions plus the sunsite archives for
under $15 so you can try different ones and choose which you prefer, or 1
distribution for $1.99 .  They also offer book + CD combinations, probably a
good idea if you've never used Linux before.
Jeremy

 
 
 

Advice Wanted...

Post by teache » Thu, 02 Jul 1998 04:00:00



> What the hell do you want to dump Windoze for Linux.  Instead of your OS
> crashing you will have a stable OS in which you cannot do an thing with
> because none of your devices will work nor NIC cards or Modems unless you
> have some how the magic Linux touch that will configure these things
> automatically because if you think there are clear cut instructions out
> there you are dead wrong!

The guys that learn english as a second language and speak/write good
english always apologize.  
But then the ones that suck (what up timoteo?) think they even are
computer wizards.
 
 
 

Advice Wanted...

Post by Timote » Thu, 02 Jul 1998 04:00:00


Where did I elude to the fact I thought I was a computer wizard?

You must admit that Linux is a damn pain in the ass to get working correctly
and if someone can't get windows to work then how could they ever expect to
get Linux working.

Regards,

Tim

 
 
 

Advice Wanted...

Post by Michele Marie Dale » Thu, 02 Jul 1998 04:00:00


I usually avoide these messages but, you really want to know how a linux user
feels? To bad, I am telling you anyway
        Almost every device EXCEPT for stupid Winmodems work under linux! and
while the learning curve may not exactly be "plug and pray" I can assure you
that almost every case, Linux is better, faster and the software is freely
modifyable by anyone who wants to take their time to learn a little bit
of programming. Lets look at the Winblows issue  from  your prospective
1. Windows is   from god, NO, windows is from hell and is for people who
want to pay out the *to shareware/creepware authors who only give you
programs that you canot modify. EAT UP TRemendous system resources and
have  crazy ideas of what a person really needs.
2. Windows is inflexiable. You cannot change its look/feel. you like that, fine
but for many people, after all it is a PERSONAL COMPUTER, have different ideas
of how they want their system to work.
3. Windows is great for sighted people or people with good eyes. I am Blind and
have not found a windows implementation/driver  that is usuable for me. Linux
supports me with text modes and a Command line Interface thats beats COMMAND.COM
hands down.
4. Windows eats ram like a sponge. does not multitask well unless you are
John Forbs and can afford 32-64mb of ram. Linux  even on 8mb multitaks well
and allows me to have 4 or five text screens open at one time,  remote
terminals connected to my serial ports. VERY FAST TCP/IP stacks. Networking
is built in. IRC, CHAT, NFS. TELNET,PING and most come with a text browser
called LYNX which is legally blind friendly.. ONLy MICROSLOP OS I could use
is MSDOS which is now for the most part discontinued.
5. NOW remember I am a Klingon at heart and a red-headed Tuscan Italian/American
and I DO not appreciate such deflamatory statements. now I don't mind a
constructive argument, which is logically put together. You have alot to learn
about HOW to argue. You are talking to a master, I learned it from my Mother
who learned it from hers.  I also went to school  to learn logic and argmentive
style.
        Oh yeah I forgot something, HOW MANY TERABYTES of Disk Space do you
have? I only got 600MB on two SCSI hds. and I got room to  spare! ;)


>What the hell do you want to dump Windoze for Linux.  Instead of your OS
>crashing you will have a stable OS in which you cannot do an thing with
>because none of your devices will work nor NIC cards or Modems unless you
>have some how the magic Linux touch that will configure these things
>automatically because if you think there are clear cut instructions out
>there you are dead wrong!

--
                                B'ichela
When a Klingon  goes to Linux.  It means one must respect the Klingons
pride and honorable decision to work their  computers to their fulllet
potential.
        Linux is Proudly displayed  to all my friends. and I help  get
others going  on this powerful  alternative to the  watered down mush
served by Microslop.
 
 
 

Advice Wanted...

Post by ChrisEilbec » Thu, 02 Jul 1998 04:00:00



> You must admit that Linux is a damn pain in the ass to get working correctly
> and if someone can't get windows to work then how could they ever expect to
> get Linux working.

It takes much more time to get Windoze working on a blank machine than
it does with Linux.  At least Linux doesn't forget what your settings
are and stop talking to that network card or serial port.

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck

 
 
 

Advice Wanted...

Post by dbsain » Fri, 03 Jul 1998 04:00:00


Id suggest the Caldera distribution... much much easier and nicer than
redhat...i didnt like redhat a t all,..


>I am a frustrated WinDoze user whose primary PC is a Toshiba Satellite 220
>laptop. 133mhz Pentium, 1.4 gig HD, Chips and Technologies PCI video,
>swapable floppy and CD-ROM.

>I am very interested in learning about UNIX/LINUX and its different
>iterations from Red Hat, Caldera et. al.

>Where would be a good place to learn? Which OS version might be best suited
>for my configuration? What are the advantages of Red hat over Caldera or
>vice versa?

>My sincere thanks in advance...



 
 
 

Advice Wanted...

Post by Richard Stein » Fri, 03 Jul 1998 04:00:00



Quote:>What the hell do you want to dump Windoze for Linux.  Instead of your OS
>crashing you will have a stable OS in which you cannot do an thing with
>because none of your devices will work nor NIC cards or Modems unless you
>have some how the magic Linux touch that will configure these things
>automatically because if you think there are clear cut instructions out
>there you are dead wrong!

Not magic touch -- common sense!

Red Hat 5.1 (my latest Linux installation here) detected the Intel NICs
(EtherExpress Pro/100Bs) on both of my PPros automagically.  Also, my
external Courier has never had problems on ANY OS.  My Matrox cards are
very happy under X, my soundcards work, my CD-ROM drives are seen, etc.

Perhaps the real problem is the people who purchase marginal hardware
in the name of "cost savings" and then expect the world to recognize
their ill-chosen no-name cost-cutting hardware?

I stick to well-known names and mainstream models.  Adaptec.  Matrox.
USR.  Creative Labs.  Intel.  Plextor.  Sony.  I've used online forums
(e.g., DejaNews) as a resource to gauge other users' experiences in my
desired context before a purchase.  And I find that those types of
precautions help me quite a bit.

--

           OS/2 Warp 4 + Linux + Executor = PC Hobbyist Heaven!
                   The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

 
 
 

Advice Wanted...

Post by Richard Stein » Fri, 03 Jul 1998 04:00:00



Quote:>You must admit that Linux is a damn pain in the ass to get working
>correctly

It requires some knowledge and (sometimes) forethought, yes.  But it's
a lot easier now then it was when I first installed SLS 1.01!!  :-)

Quote:>and if someone can't get windows to work then how could they ever
>expect to get Linux working.

That really depends on the person and their reasons for wanting to use
Linux (and presumably get it working).

--

           OS/2 Warp 4 + Linux + Executor = PC Hobbyist Heaven!
                   The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

 
 
 

Advice Wanted...

Post by Bria » Fri, 03 Jul 1998 04:00:00


Hi:

Just a quick report of recent personal experience.

I purchased Windows 98 Upgrade June 25th, after attending the Windows 98
party in Vancouver at Robson Centre. I use Windows mainly for desktop and
game play.

I attempted to upgrade over an existing Windows 95 installation that had
been in existence for over 4 months (I find a fresh install of Windows 95 is
required every 6 months because it becomes more unstable as time goes by). I
had backed up the entire Windows 95 partition having had many bad
experiences in the past with Microsoft upgrades.

During the install that evening I was faced with the "Blue Screen of Death"
identified as "A fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C028274D in VXD
IOS(04)+ 0000IFC9". I had zero option but to reboot. I read all the
documentation that came with my Windows 98 CD (a small booklet) - that took
about 25 minutes - no joy!

I tried to log onto Microsoft's Windows 98 help site (using Slackware 3.4 on
the same machine but different HD) but it was overloaded and not functioning
(running NT4 no doubt). I scanned the CD for help files, HowTos or anything
that may be of help - very little and nothing applicable.

I woke up early the next morning intending to contact Microsoft Canada at
5:00am Pacific (8:00am Eastern Time). I tried for a full hour getting
nothing but busy signals - I never even got to be on hold - very
frustrating!

I phoned the US Microsoft help line and got a ring and was put on hold at
6:05 am - got a live human by 6:53 am. Was informed that I should call MS
Canada; I bristled (been listening to Muzak for 50 minutes on my dime) so
the Microsoft dude passed me onto a Windows 98 Engineer named Stephen.

Explained to Stephen my situation and we proceeded to pull driver after
driver, program after program, all to no avail - blue screen of death, same
error message.

Finally gave up on upgrade and fresh formatted the C: drive and installed
Windows 98 to a clean partition. W98 immediately choked because it couldn't
find a running version of Windows anywhere. I had to dig out my old Windows
95 CD and prove to it that I wasn't stealing anything.

Windows 98 installed without trouble and within an hour we had it
functioning. I thanked Stephan for his help and closed off our session at
9:00 am (3+ hours long distance to Microsoft for technical assistance).

I than began installing my W95 apps and found that some of them weren't
going to function in the new environment. I also found that many of the
things that made me crazy in Windows 95 were still there.

*Unable to run some favorite apps and hardware that functioned in Windows
95.

*W98 still can't remember folder view settings despite function enabled.
Why?

*Still takes forever to empty Recycle Bin - what is that about?

*Can't re-install Internet Explorer once it has been deleted - have to
re-install entire OS (Hear that DOJ).

*Unable to copy the Windows 98 CD - snuffed 2 CDRs trying. I always like to
use copies at home storing the originals in a safety deposit box (software
is expensive stuff).

*Windows 98 is bigger than Windows 95 and is noticeably slower. My personal
experience is that W98 doesn't work better or play better.

*Was unable to re-initiate my old News files - had to restart all my news
groups requiring redownloads of everything. Why?

The Microsoft service engineer was very polite and genuinely concerned that
we get things working. I appreciate his attitude and expertise but in the
end we were unable to upgrade my Windows 95 installation after hours of
attempts and failures.

To fully upgrade to Windows 98 would require another dozen hours of
installing software, configuring hardware and working with apps and hardware
that no longer function (you still have to reboot during each phase of
device installation, sometimes more that once).

My hardware is all name brand and late model: Intel Pentium Pro 180, Intel
Venus motherboard, Quantum 8.4 gig SE IDE, Maxtor 8.2 gig IDE, Motorola 56K
modem, Matrox Mystique 4meg, Zoltrix TV/Max, SB16 PnP, Panasonic X24 CD, HP
7100 CD-RW, 64 megabytes memory, Optiquest V95 monitor, Logitech 3B mouse
and Fujitsu 104 keyboard. (nothing out of the ordinary)

Microsoft does service their clients but it is expensive (long distance
charges) and on some occasions ineffectual. I haven't had any success
getting help by e-mail from Microsoft in the last 3 years - I really hate
being ignored when I am entitled to support!

Microsoft's online help database is pure hit and miss - sometimes it helps
but on other occasions hours can be spent scanning hundreds of documents
without a satisfactory resolution. Microsoft's websites are huge,
unorganized and difficult to navigate, their search engines are hopelessly
ineffective.

Microsoft has also instituted levels of support which restricts access to
some areas of their knowledge database to preferred individuals or
organizations. I have yet to understand why such a policy would be
instituted.

I have installed many Linux installations and have never suffered the
reversals and frustration I have had to confront on many occasions
installing W95, NT4s, NT4w (and now W98). I have also found that most
Windows-only users have become acclimatized to rebooting on a regular basis
and are accustomed to regular failures of their applications and utilities.

I have now scrapped Windows 98 off my computer and reinstalled my Windows 95
from backups. I will be returning 98 for a refund ($140 Canadian).

I will probably try re-installing W98 this Christmas when some of the bugs
have been worked out. I will then purchase a fresh copy of W98 (probably at
a lower price) and start a new support contract (MS offers 90 days free
support after the first support contact) when I run into trouble.

I have used every version of MS Windows from 1.0 (when it was little more
than a task switching file manager) to NT4 server sr3 and W98.

One last thought; I am able to install a Linux distribution with a full X
Windowing system, compile a new kernel specifically tuned to my hardware
(including busmastering my IDE drives), install all the wonderful apps
specialized to my hardware and have it on the Internet in less than 2 hours.
No pain at all!

I have been using MS Windows longer than I have been using Linux but I
understand and have more success with Linux than I have with MS Windows.

These are my personal experiences and observations.

Best regards,

Brian



>> You must admit that Linux is a damn pain in the ass to get working
correctly
>> and if someone can't get windows to work then how could they ever expect
to
>> get Linux working.

>It takes much more time to get Windoze working on a blank machine than
>it does with Linux.  At least Linux doesn't forget what your settings
>are and stop talking to that network card or serial port.

>Chris
>--
>Chris Eilbeck


 
 
 

Advice Wanted...

Post by Jeremy Crabtre » Fri, 03 Jul 1998 04:00:00


[SNIP]

Quote:> I stick to well-known names and mainstream models.  Adaptec.  Matrox.
> USR.  Creative Labs....

        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Just say no to (un)Creative Labs, they are becoming the Microsoft of the
soundcard industry, buying out competitors then crippling their
products, while selling the non-crippled versions under the Creative
name. I recommend Turtle Beach, specifically the Malibu, it has Kernel
level support(CS4237B chipset, choose CS4232) and runs rings around the
Cretive cards. (well, it loses a point because of its lack of
sample-RAM, but gains 3 points for having a 4Mb patchset onboard as
opposed to a puny 1Mb)

[SNIP]

Just a little consumer alert, I hope it helps.

--
Vive Macintosh, all hail OS/2, Long live the Amiga, UNIX forever, umm,
and all the other systems I didn't mention. We all compute differently,
get over it.                                          Jeremy Crabtree

 
 
 

Advice Wanted...

Post by William Tayl » Fri, 03 Jul 1998 04:00:00


Try WinNT... Much, much better view..



>Hi:

>Just a quick report of recent personal experience.

>I purchased Windows 98 Upgrade June 25th, after attending the Windows 98
>party in Vancouver at Robson Centre. I use Windows mainly for desktop and
>game play.

>I attempted to upgrade over an existing Windows 95 installation that had
>been in existence for over 4 months (I find a fresh install of Windows 95 is
>required every 6 months because it becomes more unstable as time goes by). I
>had backed up the entire Windows 95 partition having had many bad
>experiences in the past with Microsoft upgrades.

>During the install that evening I was faced with the "Blue Screen of Death"
>identified as "A fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C028274D in VXD
>IOS(04)+ 0000IFC9". I had zero option but to reboot. I read all the
>documentation that came with my Windows 98 CD (a small booklet) - that took
>about 25 minutes - no joy!

>I tried to log onto Microsoft's Windows 98 help site (using Slackware 3.4 on
>the same machine but different HD) but it was overloaded and not functioning
>(running NT4 no doubt). I scanned the CD for help files, HowTos or anything
>that may be of help - very little and nothing applicable.

>I woke up early the next morning intending to contact Microsoft Canada at
>5:00am Pacific (8:00am Eastern Time). I tried for a full hour getting
>nothing but busy signals - I never even got to be on hold - very
>frustrating!

>I phoned the US Microsoft help line and got a ring and was put on hold at
>6:05 am - got a live human by 6:53 am. Was informed that I should call MS
>Canada; I bristled (been listening to Muzak for 50 minutes on my dime) so
>the Microsoft dude passed me onto a Windows 98 Engineer named Stephen.

>Explained to Stephen my situation and we proceeded to pull driver after
>driver, program after program, all to no avail - blue screen of death, same
>error message.

>Finally gave up on upgrade and fresh formatted the C: drive and installed
>Windows 98 to a clean partition. W98 immediately choked because it couldn't
>find a running version of Windows anywhere. I had to dig out my old Windows
>95 CD and prove to it that I wasn't stealing anything.

>Windows 98 installed without trouble and within an hour we had it
>functioning. I thanked Stephan for his help and closed off our session at
>9:00 am (3+ hours long distance to Microsoft for technical assistance).

>I than began installing my W95 apps and found that some of them weren't
>going to function in the new environment. I also found that many of the
>things that made me crazy in Windows 95 were still there.

>*Unable to run some favorite apps and hardware that functioned in Windows
>95.

>*W98 still can't remember folder view settings despite function enabled.
>Why?

>*Still takes forever to empty Recycle Bin - what is that about?

>*Can't re-install Internet Explorer once it has been deleted - have to
>re-install entire OS (Hear that DOJ).

>*Unable to copy the Windows 98 CD - snuffed 2 CDRs trying. I always like to
>use copies at home storing the originals in a safety deposit box (software
>is expensive stuff).

>*Windows 98 is bigger than Windows 95 and is noticeably slower. My personal
>experience is that W98 doesn't work better or play better.

>*Was unable to re-initiate my old News files - had to restart all my news
>groups requiring redownloads of everything. Why?

>The Microsoft service engineer was very polite and genuinely concerned that
>we get things working. I appreciate his attitude and expertise but in the
>end we were unable to upgrade my Windows 95 installation after hours of
>attempts and failures.

>To fully upgrade to Windows 98 would require another dozen hours of
>installing software, configuring hardware and working with apps and hardware
>that no longer function (you still have to reboot during each phase of
>device installation, sometimes more that once).

>My hardware is all name brand and late model: Intel Pentium Pro 180, Intel
>Venus motherboard, Quantum 8.4 gig SE IDE, Maxtor 8.2 gig IDE, Motorola 56K
>modem, Matrox Mystique 4meg, Zoltrix TV/Max, SB16 PnP, Panasonic X24 CD, HP
>7100 CD-RW, 64 megabytes memory, Optiquest V95 monitor, Logitech 3B mouse
>and Fujitsu 104 keyboard. (nothing out of the ordinary)

>Microsoft does service their clients but it is expensive (long distance
>charges) and on some occasions ineffectual. I haven't had any success
>getting help by e-mail from Microsoft in the last 3 years - I really hate
>being ignored when I am entitled to support!

>Microsoft's online help database is pure hit and miss - sometimes it helps
>but on other occasions hours can be spent scanning hundreds of documents
>without a satisfactory resolution. Microsoft's websites are huge,
>unorganized and difficult to navigate, their search engines are hopelessly
>ineffective.

>Microsoft has also instituted levels of support which restricts access to
>some areas of their knowledge database to preferred individuals or
>organizations. I have yet to understand why such a policy would be
>instituted.

>I have installed many Linux installations and have never suffered the
>reversals and frustration I have had to confront on many occasions
>installing W95, NT4s, NT4w (and now W98). I have also found that most
>Windows-only users have become acclimatized to rebooting on a regular basis
>and are accustomed to regular failures of their applications and utilities.

>I have now scrapped Windows 98 off my computer and reinstalled my Windows 95
>from backups. I will be returning 98 for a refund ($140 Canadian).

>I will probably try re-installing W98 this Christmas when some of the bugs
>have been worked out. I will then purchase a fresh copy of W98 (probably at
>a lower price) and start a new support contract (MS offers 90 days free
>support after the first support contact) when I run into trouble.

>I have used every version of MS Windows from 1.0 (when it was little more
>than a task switching file manager) to NT4 server sr3 and W98.

>One last thought; I am able to install a Linux distribution with a full X
>Windowing system, compile a new kernel specifically tuned to my hardware
>(including busmastering my IDE drives), install all the wonderful apps
>specialized to my hardware and have it on the Internet in less than 2 hours.
>No pain at all!

>I have been using MS Windows longer than I have been using Linux but I
>understand and have more success with Linux than I have with MS Windows.

>These are my personal experiences and observations.

>Best regards,

>Brian



>>> You must admit that Linux is a damn pain in the ass to get working
>correctly
>>> and if someone can't get windows to work then how could they ever expect
>to
>>> get Linux working.

>>It takes much more time to get Windoze working on a blank machine than
>>it does with Linux.  At least Linux doesn't forget what your settings
>>are and stop talking to that network card or serial port.

>>Chris
>>--
>>Chris Eilbeck


 
 
 

Advice Wanted...

Post by Jonathan Michael Hawki » Fri, 03 Jul 1998 04:00:00


Try t* your quotes.  Much, much better idea.  Is it really that
difficult to cut out what you're not responding to?

Jon



>Try WinNT... Much, much better view..

--
Jonathan Michael Hawkins {} "If this is a crush, then I don't know
NUMB Altos 1996-????     {}  if I could take the real thing if it
OAS, AAS, LLS!           {}  happens..."  -- Kevin Smith, "Chasing Amy"
<mailto:spiritu()nwu.edu>{}  <http://c*te.acns.nwu.edu/spiritu>
 
 
 

1. SCO OS5 - Advice Wanted

I am currently setting up a test SCO Openserver 5 system and basically
have 2 matters which I would like some advice on.

Firstly, I have always hated 1 large root filesystem which included
/usr.  I have seperated /usr from the root filesystem on all of my
3.2R4.2 servers.  The root filesystem therefore is very small,
40Mb, whilst my /usr filesystem is considerably larger.  To help stop
the root filesystem from filling up, I remove /tmp and symbolically
link it to /usr/tmp.  As a result, my root filesystem NEVER fills up
and it's free space remains constant.

Although the installation of additional software tends to complain
about the small size of the root filesystem, ignoring the message has
had no detremental effects as the bulk of the software is loaded in
/usr which exists as a seperate filesystem.

Can the seperation of /usr from / be done on OS5??  I have done one
other OS5 installation quite sometime ago and I recall trying to do
the same type of configuration but the installation scripts denying me
being able to progress further.  Compensating for the new directory
structure of OS5 I did try with a larger root filesystem from what I
currently have with 3.2R4.2

Secondly, failing the ability to split / and /usr, I am thinking as an
alternative to creating a filesystem to store all temporary files and
log files that are created on the system.  Something like /logs or
/temp.  Any log file that exists in the usual places of Unix
ie /usr/spool/lp/logs/?? /usr/adm/syslog etc, etc would get
removed and then symbolically linked to an entry in this new
filesystem.  My idea being is that I would like the root filesystem
to remaining relatively constant and anything that causes files to
grow ie log files and temp files, are contained and controlled within
the one filesystem.  The /log filesystem could then be routinely
cleaned up fairly easily and effectively.

I would appreciate any thoughts that anyone may have.  If there is a
better way to do this I would be glad to hear it.  

Thankyou

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Greg Wake                               |    Phone: +61 97 911 915
Systems Manager                 |
Geographe Replacement Parts             |      Fax: +61 97 911 916
P.O. Box 350                            |

Western Australia                       |
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

2. NTLM authentication error FP 97

3. Advice wanted in setting up LAN

4. Wabi dos emulator

5. Developing "Quicken" clone -- advice wanted

6. setting up adsl from SBC

7. Advice Wanted: Ether 16 Lan Card by Linksys?

8. Multi-Booting Win95,Linux and NT4WS with LILO?

9. Advice wanted on mutual exclusion

10. Advice wanted - linux as a PPP router

11. PC-*NIX <-> SUN advice wanted

12. Pentium MW w/NCR scsi. Advice Wanted

13. Help: X86 hardware selection advice wanted