SIS7012/K7S5A: ALSA, Kernel driver, SIS's driver... best driver choice?

SIS7012/K7S5A: ALSA, Kernel driver, SIS's driver... best driver choice?

Post by Lance » Tue, 06 Aug 2002 23:42:59

I'm running Mandrake 8.2 with kernel 2.4.18 on a K7S5A (SIS735).  I've
been trying to determine which is the best driver to use for the
SIS7012 onboard sound, but so far everything I've tried has some sort
of problem:

I started out using the kernel module i810_audio (as suggested in
Elite's K7S5A HOWTO), which works fine with xmms under KDE, but other
programs, such as mpg123, complain that it doesn't support 44100kHz
(I'm guessing this driver is stuck at 48000kHz?).

I attempted to use ALSA 0.9.rc2 (also following the HOWTO), and was
able to load all of the modules, but alsamixer gave me the error:

  alsamixer: failed to open mixer #0/#0 : Success

and yes, I remembered to run ./snddevices .

I also tried using SIS's driver provided on their website, but
everything plays slightly too fast (sounds like someone that has
inhaled a little helium).

So, does anyone have any suggestions?  Which driver is the best
choice, and how do I get it to work properly?  (Yes, I know I should
get a decent sound card, but I'd like to get this one working).

Thanks for the help,
Lance F.

SIS7012/K7S5A: ALSA, Kernel driver, SIS's driver... best driver choice?

Post by Steve Jone » Tue, 20 Aug 2002 00:35:38

Lance,

I hope you're still around to receive this.....

I was just wondering what you did to get ALSA working in the end? I've got
exactly the same motherboard as you, but have had no success in getting the
drivers installed correctly.

All I get when I try to load the module is "no such device". Is this what
you were getting, and if so, how did you fix it?

Thanks in advance,
Steve.

Post by Fallen from skie » Sun, 01 Sep 2002 16:07:45

> All I get when I try to load the module is "no such device". Is this
> what you were getting, and if so, how did you fix it?

I've got your same mb and distro, I tried sis own driver and experienced
permissions matters, fast playback of wave files and some glitches during
cd reproduction.

On alsadriver site follow the link for "supported cards" and look for
sis7012, you'll reach a page with a simple and fast explanation and an
example of what you'll have to write in you /etc/modules.conf (just copy
and paste)to have a
working intel8x0 (and of course sis7012) integrated card. I am now
listening Mozart Requiem using this driver. Now my card works well (of
course it's just an integrated device so don't expect too much) and my
pinguin finally speaks.

The only issue is a warning from modprobe:
"this module will taint the kernel"
I don't know if it is due to wrong permissions or to kernel unable to
recognize the module.

Post by Ungolian » Sun, 01 Sep 2002 20:04:30

> ach a page with a simple and fast explanation and an
> example of what you'll have to write in you /etc/modules.conf (just copy
> and paste)to have a
> working intel8x0 (and of course sis7012) integrated card. I am now
> listening Mozart Requiem using this driver. Now my card works well (of
> course it's just an integrated device so don't expect too much) and my
> pinguin finally speaks.

> The only issue is a warning from modprobe:

I think it's refered to the non open-source nature of the driver. The same
occurs with the Nvidia closed-source driver, your kernel isn't anymore
totally free.

Post by Clive Dov » Sun, 01 Sep 2002 20:16:33

>> All I get when I try to load the module is "no such device". Is this
>> what you were getting, and if so, how did you fix it?

> I've got your same mb and distro, I tried sis own driver and
> experienced permissions matters, fast playback of wave files and some
> glitches during cd reproduction.

> On alsadriver site follow the link for "supported cards" and look for
> sis7012, you'll reach a page with a simple and fast explanation and an
> example of what you'll have to write in you /etc/modules.conf (just
> copy and paste)to have a
> working intel8x0 (and of course sis7012) integrated card. I am now
> listening Mozart Requiem using this driver. Now my card works well (of
> course it's just an integrated device so don't expect too much) and my
> pinguin finally speaks.

> The only issue is a warning from modprobe:
> "this module will taint the kernel"
> I don't know if it is due to wrong permissions or to kernel unable to
> recognize the module.

If you want to use an ossfree module instead of alsa, the module is
i810_audio.

# modprobe i810_audio

and this line should be in /etc/modules.conf

alias sound-slot-0 i810_audio

SIS7012/K7S5A: ALSA, Kernel driver, SIS's driver... best driver choice?

Post by Steve Jone » Mon, 02 Sep 2002 19:02:22

Quote:> Lance,

> I hope you're still around to receive this.....

> I was just wondering what you did to get ALSA working in the end? I've got
> exactly the same motherboard as you, but have had no success in getting
the
> drivers installed correctly.

> All I get when I try to load the module is "no such device". Is this what
> you were getting, and if so, how did you fix it?

> Thanks in advance,
> Steve.

Thanks for the replies, folks. I finally managed to get ALSA working
yesterday. As for the i810_audio module, it always said there was no device
present. Odd....

Steve.

SIS7012/K7S5A: ALSA, Kernel driver, SIS's driver... best driver choice?

Post by Adam » Mon, 02 Sep 2002 19:40:07

Quote:> Thanks for the replies, folks. I finally managed to get ALSA working
> yesterday. As for the i810_audio module, it always said there was no device
> present. Odd....

Could you say what you had to do to make it working (what version you
used, which pitfalls you avoided, kernel version)?  I've spent *lots*
of time trying to make various versions of alsa work, with the same
hardware configuration as yours, but to no avail.  Only i810_audio has
ever worked for me.  Many thanks.

     Adam

--
Name and address in X-Real...

Post by Ray » Tue, 03 Sep 2002 06:27:01

> Could you say what you had to do to make it working (what version you
> used, which pitfalls you avoided, kernel version)?  I've spent *lots*
> of time trying to make various versions of alsa work, with the same
> hardware configuration as yours, but to no avail.  Only i810_audio has
> ever worked for me.  Many thanks.

FWIW I've had good luck with both the kernel drivers and Alsa.  In both
cases I used the trident drivers.  I'm using Debian with Alsa version
0.9+0beta12.  The appropriate part of my modules.conf looks like this:

# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF verion 0.4.3b ---
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-trident
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
options snd snd_major=116 snd_cards_limit=1 snd_device_mode=0660
snd_device_gid=
29 snd_device_uid=0
options snd-trident snd_index=0 snd_id=CARD_0
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

Since I'm using a custom kernel I compiled Alsa from the source provided by
Debian.

--
Ray

1. sis7012 (alsa driver) module options

hi,

i have a sis7012 sound card, so i downloaded and installed the alsa drivers
(0.9.0rc5).  but, when i try to
modprobe snd-intel8x0
like their page says to, it says the card was not detected, and i might need
to change the module options. i am dual-booting windows XP and Red Hat 8.0.
i need to know what the module options are for the snd-intel8x0 driver
module and how to find the correct settings for them.

 - Stuart P

2. how do you add root access to a user

3. SIS7012 Alsa drivers digi output 48KHz only.

4. Request to be added to the unix-wizards

5. SiS 7018 SoundCard Problem with alsa driver.

6. How to view boot info?

7. I need SiS Video Driver + D-Link Ethernet Card Driver

8. PCI ethernet. How to add to kernel

9. Drivers, Drivers, Drivers!

10. Drivers, Drivers, Drivers

11. SiS 6326 and SiS 5597 driver problems with X

12. Problem on Linux 2.4.0 kernel and ALSA sound driver.

13. Sound: Kernel Drivers vs ALSA