Floating Point Exception with Linux 2

Post by Richard Bywat » Sat, 24 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Hi - not sure if this is a hardware problem but anyway...

I recently installed Linux 2.0.0 without much hassle.  However now when I
do certain commands (Top for instance) it comes up with Floating Point
Exception and then quits the program being run.  I have a Pentium 133 so
I decided to remove Kernel Math Emulation - Should I leave it in?

Also when I tried patching the 2.0.0 base code up to 2.0.4 it wouldn't
compile due to:
No rule to make target sb_audio.o needed by sound.a
I noticed that when I used the 2.0.4 patch quite a few of the patches
failed.  Has anybody else had this?  (BTW I've installed the sb204 patch
as well but to no avail)....

Please reply by email if possible...

Cheers.

--
+-------------------+--------------------------------------------------------+
| RICHARD BYWATER   | CURRENTLY STUDYING AT CENTRAL INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY, |

+-------------------+--------------------------------------------------------+

Floating Point Exception with Linux 2

Post by Steven Butl » Sat, 24 Aug 1996 04:00:00

First, I have to emphasis that you should read the Changes file that
is located in the Documentation directory.

Quote:>Hi - not sure if this is a hardware problem but anyway...
>I recently installed Linux 2.0.0 without much hassle.  However now when I
>do certain commands (Top for instance) it comes up with Floating Point
>Exception and then quits the program being run.  I have a Pentium 133 so
>I decided to remove Kernel Math Emulation - Should I leave it in?

This is in the Changes file.  Basically you need a new version of procps.

Quote:>Also when I tried patching the 2.0.0 base code up to 2.0.4 it wouldn't
>compile due to:
>No rule to make target sb_audio.o needed by sound.a

I recall there was some problems with sb configuration in this kernel.
Upgrade to 2.0.14 and it should work fine.  Mine does and I have a sb16.

Cheers,
Steve.
--
Cheers,
Steve.

Post by Jeremy Laidma » Sat, 24 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> I recently installed Linux 2.0.0 without much hassle.  However now when I
> do certain commands (Top for instance) it comes up with Floating Point
> Exception and then quits the program being run.  I have a Pentium 133 so
> I decided to remove Kernel Math Emulation - Should I leave it in?

This is probably caused by your ps being too old.  I'm not using 2.x but I
had this problem after upgrading to 1.3.71.   Upgrade to a "procps" package
later than 0.97.  For me:  "ps --version" gives "procps version 1.01".

Cheers

Networking Consultant                            +61 0416 290866
Canberra Institute of Technology                  +61 6 207 4272

Post by Gerry Snyde » Sun, 25 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> >Also when I tried patching the 2.0.0 base code up to 2.0.4 it wouldn't
> >compile due to:
> >No rule to make target sb_audio.o needed by sound.a

> I recall there was some problems with sb configuration in this kernel.
> Upgrade to 2.0.14 and it should work fine.  Mine does and I have a sb16.

Another reason to go to 2.0.14 is that xmix (and who knows what else)
got broken somewhere in the 2.0.x development, but is working again
in 2.0.14.

BTW, that is the only problem I have seen in 2.0.x (I am not a power
user).
Maybe there have been more patches to what was supposed to be a stable
kernel
than there "should" have been, but I still crash windoze a lot more
often
than linux.

Gerry

:
: I recently installed Linux 2.0.0 without much hassle.  However now when I
: do certain commands (Top for instance) it comes up with Floating Point
: Exception and then quits the program being run.  I have a Pentium 133 so
: I decided to remove Kernel Math Emulation - Should I leave it in?
:
: Also when I tried patching the 2.0.0 base code up to 2.0.4 it wouldn't
: compile due to:
: No rule to make target sb_audio.o needed by sound.a
: I noticed that when I used the 2.0.4 patch quite a few of the patches
: failed.  Has anybody else had this?  (BTW I've installed the sb204 patch
Did you also use the 2.0.1,.0.2,.0.3 patches ??

That might explain your problem.

Patches are meant to upgrade the previous release - 2.0.0 is not the previous
release as far as 2.0.4 is concerned.
:

--
          Matt(hew) Jenkins. 2nd yr. Computer Science (RMIT Bundoora)

                        ------ Site of the Month ------
                              http://www.ardi.com/

Post by Graham Daven » Sun, 08 Sep 1996 04:00:00

: : Hi - not sure if this is a hardware problem but anyway...
: :
: : I recently installed Linux 2.0.0 without much hassle.  However now when I
: : do certain commands (Top for instance) it comes up with Floating Point
: : Exception and then quits the program being run.  I have a Pentium 133 so
: : I decided to remove Kernel Math Emulation - Should I leave it in?
: :

You should read the changes file in the usr/src/linux/Documentation directory.

It specifically states that you need the procps 1.01 package or else you will
get floating point exception errors when you try to run anything to do with
the ps command.