Printing to a Laserjet

Post by Charly Goehri » Fri, 09 Jun 1995 04:00:00

    I have everything hooked up, rarin to go, but when I print to my
Laserjet II, I get blank pages out. I get the typical staircase output by
redirecting ls to LP0, so I must be close to a solution. Or it could be I'm
overlooking something obvious.
    I will say that Slackware gave me a problem in that, if I followed the
Printing How To, Slackware(lpr) couldn't find the right directories. I had
to put them under /var/spool/lp1 for lpr to find them. The examples given
in the How To all used /usr/spool/lpd which points to /var/spool/lpd.
    So I'm close but no cigar! Thanls for any input you may have.

Printing to a Laserjet

Post by nnicola » Tue, 20 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>    I have everything hooked up, rarin to go, but when I print to my
>Laserjet II, I get blank pages out. I get the typical staircase output by
>redirecting ls to LP0, so I must be close to a solution. Or it could be I'm
>overlooking something obvious.
>    I will say that Slackware gave me a problem in that, if I followed the
>Printing How To, Slackware(lpr) couldn't find the right directories. I had
>to put them under /var/spool/lp1 for lpr to find them. The examples given
>in the How To all used /usr/spool/lpd which points to /var/spool/lpd.
>    So I'm close but no cigar! Thanls for any input you may have.

Try using "magicfilter?1.1b?" on sunsite in /pub/Linux/system/Printing???
It worked/s for me!

1. Trouble printing to HP Laserjet 4L through Netport Pro/100 print server

I have had a tough time getting "good" output from my Sun Blade to my
HP LaserJet 4L.  I have tried a number of different "techniques" to
get my printer set up to no avail, including adding printers manually
from the command line to using printmgr to add the printer.  I have
succeeded in sending output to the printer however it comes out
unformatted and screwed up.  Printing from applications such as
netscape produces junk and blank pages.  I believe my problems are
related to not having the correct filters set up with my printer
however I am not sure.  When I use printmgr to create a printer the
print server name defaults to my host name, however, I am able to
choose HP printer from the printer type fields.

I have set the ip address and name of my printer /etc/hosts.
In addition, I attach the port reference LPT1_PASSTHRU as requested
from NetPort documentation.

I refer to the name when I issue the following commands:

lpsystem -t bsd netport
lpadmin -p netport -s hplj4L:LPT1_PASSTHRU -I postscript, simple

accept hplj4L
enable hplj4L

The accept and enable commands say that the printer server is not
local.  I have also tried replacing the colon between the printer name
with !, which appears in some of the documentation.

In the interest of learning default Solaris, I am trying to refrain
from using a simpler print system such as CUPS, but I am obviously
confused and frustrated about a task that you think would be "simple".
 Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks-
Rodney

2. Smart Hub?

3. HP Laserjet Series II prints garbage

4. modem busy

5. Printing with HP 6L LaserJet

6. xfree86 + radeon mobility

7. LaserJet 1100 drivers printing header page

8. mkdev serial on 5.0.4

9. problem with gs3.33 and laserjet printing.

10. Printing problems with LaserJet 5L

11. Printing on LaserJet: keep asking for wrong paper size

12. mgetty+sendfax printing incoming faxes to HP LaserJet

13. Printing to HP LaserJet 6L