Infared support on laptops

Post by Mike Connor » Thu, 17 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

I have read that linux treats the infared ports on the laptops just
like serial ports and therefore, you don't have to worry about special
drivers.

The problem is with the newer laptops.  These laptops attain speeds
from 1.1Mbps to 4Mbps, well above the 115kbps maximum speed a UART
chip can attain.  This requires new circuitry and, of course, new
drivers. Correct?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Infared support on laptops

Post by Paul Rub » Thu, 17 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi,

>I have read that linux treats the infared ports on the laptops just
>like serial ports and therefore, you don't have to worry about special
>drivers.

>The problem is with the newer laptops.  These laptops attain speeds
>from 1.1Mbps to 4Mbps, well above the 115kbps maximum speed a UART
>chip can attain.  This requires new circuitry and, of course, new
>drivers. Correct?

Most laptops connect the IR port to a standard UART, so you can send
bits through it as if it were a normal serial port.  The problem is
that if you want to print on a printer, you need to use those bits to
speak the IrDA protocol, which is somewhat complicated.  It's
comparable to writing a PPP driver (i.e. TCP/IP stack) in order
to talk to an ISP over a serial port.  The UART only handles
the lowest level.