PII vs PPro

Post by cava.. » Tue, 15 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Hi

I wonder how compare PPro 200 512 Kb L2 vs PII 266 512 Kb L2 in
intensive applications such as quantum mechanical codes.

I think that PPro performs better, due to the fact that the L2 is
fully integrated with the CPU, whereas the faster PII, with the
cache not integrated, should be slower.

am I right ?

PII vs PPro

Post by Mike Hughe » Tue, 15 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> Hi

> I wonder how compare PPro 200 512 Kb L2 vs PII 266 512 Kb L2 in
> intensive applications such as quantum mechanical codes.

> I think that PPro performs better, due to the fact that the L2 is
> fully integrated with the CPU, whereas the faster PII, with the
> cache not integrated, should be slower.

> am I right ?

You are exactly right.  The pentium pro has a cache that operates at
same speed as the processor.  however, the pentium II has a cache that
operates at only half the speed of the processor, resulting in
performance losses.

Mike Hughes

1. FPU performance of Pentium vs. K6 vs. Ppro vs. PII

If anyone is interested in trying a few simple benchmarking tests,
I have just the thing. The binaries for the tests (a .tgz file)
and results I have so far can be seen at:

        http://morgul.fsh.uvic.ca/linux/fpu_bench.html

These are a second generation of programs similar in some respects to
some I had available awhile back, but, being adventurous, I decided to
call them version 2 instead of 1.1 :-)

In particular, I'm interested in results from people using the same
motherboard I used: ASUS T2P4 rev 3.1 with 512K onboard cache. If you
can fill in one or more slots in the table, please do so.

To run the tests, simply un-tar the file, cd into the directory, and
run the "bench" script. The results end up in a single file
(./results/summary.`hostname`) which you can edit a but and email to
me. I'll post again when there are a significant number of new
results.

--

Patrick Dowler
Victoria, BC

2. Moving Mailboxes from Eudora to Linux?

3. Dual PII 300 vs. Dual PPro 200 (512)

4. FYI openssh 3.1 update ...

5. One dual PII 450 PC vs two PII 450 PCs for FreeDSB firewall + Apache

6. Newbie help - mp3, cd, mount, x, jdk, java, quake

7. PII-300 vs. PII-333

8. Cannot login problem

9. PPro 166 vs. 2 PPro 180's?

10. PII or PPro?

11. PPro dual 180 or PII 233?

12. linker dies on PII but works on 486,P5,PPro

13. PPro v PII