Redhat 4.2 Install Help - I'm dyin' here!!!

Redhat 4.2 Install Help - I'm dyin' here!!!

Post by arn.. » Tue, 17 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Hello!

*If possible, could you please respond to this e-mail since I am not sure if
my
feed is reliable? Thank you.*

I am having a heck of a time installing Redhat Linux 4.2 from a CD ROM drive.

Background:

I have 2 CD ROM Drives, the same thing happens on both.  I install the CD as
slave to my 1 master IDE drive.  When I use the boot floppy, I can see hda and
hdb go by really quick (both indicate they are correct with the HD and CD ROM)
and then it gets into the menus.

When the menu for install from CD gets there, I hit that and then a box comes
up that says intializing CD.

After a few seconds, another box comes up that says:

mount failure:  invalid argument

And the next screen says

I could not mount a CD on device /dev/hdb

This is where I start to cry.. so close yet so far away.. I have tried just about
every jumper setting that I could come up with and when it is jumpered properly,
that is the best I get.  These are all IDE

Please help!

Thanks in advance  (specs following signature)

Bruce Arnold

-->  Specs  <---
Please note, I am not trying to put in both CD ROM drives at the same time, just
the Aztech (the symptom (invalid argument) happens on either)

Also, I am SURE my jumper settings are correct for both drives.

HD - Seagate ST3660A Jumpered (not jumpered actually) as Master with slave

CD ROMS - 1.  BTC 24X
          2.  Aztech CDA 668-01I

Motherboard - AN4R2 w/DX2 80 AMD CPU

Controller - VESA LB DTC2278S (ess, not 5)

Thanks again!

1. Redhat 4.2 Setup Problems - AKA I'm dyin here!

[...]

2. Multicast Problem with linux

3. RedHat 4.2 'rpm' whoo's

4. NFS mount problem - SUSE 9.1

5. FreeBSD 4.2 won't boot - 'read error' on boot after install

6. How to fail a shared library load

7. ftp doesn't work after install RedHat 4.2

8. Imap mail clients

9. LILO won't install (RedHat 4.2)

10. X won't start after installing RedHat 4.2 :-(

11. RedHat 4.2 & Adaptec 2940,: LILO won't install

12. Help:executable couldn't run in redhat 4.2!

13. Can't remotely administer Redhat 4.2 HELP!!!