Broadcasting Live Video over the Internet using Linux?

Broadcasting Live Video over the Internet using Linux?

Post by Ignasi Garci » Wed, 11 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Hi there!

We are considering in my university broadcasting live video over the
Internet using a technology like RealVideo. I want to set up a new
server, and I want it running Linux -we mostly have Macs in the
communications department :-( -. So, I was wondering if someone could
tell me if there's any good video capture card supported by Linux that
could allow me to do it.

Frankly, I would HATE to have no other choice but setting up a Windows
NT server.

Thanks very much in advance.

Ignacio.

"Criminals today have guns. Soon they will have computers and OTHER
weapons of mass destruction."
Janet Reno, 5 Mar 1998

1. Live Video Broadcasts - Linux Capable?

Just wondering if there is anyone working on providing a webcast service
using linux.  REAL offers a broadcasting solution, but nothing on the linux
platform to do the encoding.  I ran Linux for years as my main machine, and
had a Macintosh to do all of the graphics.  Then I sold my Mac, and kept the
linux box as the main machine.  (I replaced the Mac with an SGI Indy, only
to find that the developers didn't FULLY support it.  IE, today you can only
get Photoshop 3.0 for the SGI)

Now, I've sold the Indy, and have a PC running Windoze 98 as the main
machine.  Here is my wish list for Linux, at which point I will have NO
REASON to run windows.

Netobjects Fusion 3.01
Adobe Photoshop 5.0
Adobe Illustrator 8.0
Adobe Premiere
Adobe After Effects
ICQ (I've heard of a linux ICQ client, haven't tried it yet)
I guess I could tolerate Netscape for the e-mail.
And last but not least A LIVE ENCODER FOR WEBCASTS!!!!

After those Applications are available on linux (or suitable replacements) I
will officially have no need to run Windoze.

2. Imake.tmpl

3. Live videos broadcasting

4. flock races causes E_NOLCK

5. Linux Real Encoder - Live Broadcast

6. High-res-timers part 1 (core) take 5

7. Call 1-800-856-2469, LIVE LIVE LIVE 809-474-7588 code830

8. splitvt + man + flite combination

9. internet broadcast in linux

10. Call 1-800-856-2469, LIVE LIVE LIVE 809-474-7588 code2311

11. Call 1-800-856-2469, LIVE LIVE LIVE 809-474-7588 code820

12. THINKPAD 770X REDHAT6.0 USING X-WINDOWS VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO THINKPAD 770X

13. Call 1-800-856-2469, LIVE LIVE LIVE 809-474-7588 code826