HELP - 2nd NE2000 card not being probed

Post by Steven L » Wed, 09 Jul 1997 04:00:00

        I'm trying to set up a firewall and currently have 2 NE2000 cards
installed.  The second card is not being probed at boot.  Can anyone tell me
how to get the second card recognised or do I have to use a different card?

Thanks,
Steven.

Post by David Lesh » Wed, 09 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>        I'm trying to set up a firewall and currently have 2 NE2000 cards
>installed.  The second card is not being probed at boot.  Can anyone tell me
>how to get the second card recognised or do I have to use a different card?

There is a LDP HowTo, or Mini-HowTo, on this very topic....

Post by Tom Dale » Wed, 09 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>         I'm trying to set up a firewall and currently have 2 NE2000 cards
> installed.  The second card is not being probed at boot.  Can anyone tell me
> how to get the second card recognised or do I have to use a different card?

> Thanks,
> Steven.

http://sunsite.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/Ethernet-HOWTO-3.html#ss3.2

Section 3.2 of the Ethernet-Howto:

3.2 Using More than one Ethernet Card per Machine

What needs to be done so that Linux can run two ethernet cards?

The hooks for multiple ethercards are all there. However, note that at
the moment only one
ethercard is auto-probed for by default. This helps to avoid possible
boot time hangs caused by
probing sensitive cards.

There are two ways that you can enable auto-probing for the second (and
third, and...) card. The
easiest method is to pass boot-time arguments to the kernel, which is
usually done by LILO.
Probing for the second card can be achieved by using a boot-time
argument as simple as
ether=0,0,eth1. In this case eth0 and eth1 will be assigned in the order
that the cards are found
at boot. Say if you want the card at 0x300 to be eth0 and the card at
0x280 to be eth1 then you
could use

      LILO: linux ether=5,0x300,eth0 ether=15,0x280,eth1

The ether= command accepts more than the IRQ + i/o + name shown above.
Please have a look
at Passing Ethernet Arguments... for the full syntax, card specific
parameters, and LILO tips.

These boot time arguments can be made permanent so that you don't have
to re-enter them
every time. See the LILO configuration option `append' in the LILO
manual.

Post by david parso » Mon, 14 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>        I'm trying to set up a firewall and currently have 2 NE2000 cards
>installed.  The second card is not being probed at boot.  Can anyone tell me
>how to get the second card recognised or do I have to use a different card?

   I had that same problem with McAfee's WebShield. I solved it by hacking
   drivers/net/Space.c so that both eth0 and eth1 would autoprobe (I also
   hacked the device driver so it would autoprobe when loaded as a module,
   but that's only vaguely related.)

                 ____
   david parsons \bi/ autoprobing is my friend.
                  \/

Post by Chris W. Harri » Tue, 15 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> >        I'm trying to set up a firewall and currently have 2 NE2000 cards
> >installed.  The second card is not being probed at boot.  Can anyone tell me
> >how to get the second card recognised or do I have to use a different

See the Ethernet-HOWTO (exerpt below:)

  The hooks for multiple ethercards are all there.  However, note that
  only one ethercard is auto-probed for by default.  This avoids a lot
  of possible boot time hangs caused by probing sensitive cards.

--
Chris Harris
Linux --- The best things in life are free!

Post by Mason Wrigh » Thu, 17 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> >        I'm trying to set up a firewall and currently have 2 NE2000 cards
> >installed.  The second card is not being probed at boot.  Can anyone tell me
> >how to get the second card recognised or do I have to use a different card?

>    I had that same problem with McAfee's WebShield. I solved it by hacking
>    drivers/net/Space.c so that both eth0 and eth1 would autoprobe (I also
>    hacked the device driver so it would autoprobe when loaded as a module,
>    but that's only vaguely related.)

>                  ____
>    david parsons \bi/ autoprobing is my friend.
>                   \/

If you are using lilo you can also pass a paramater at boot time to
force probing of the card. See lilo docs or Boot HOWTO's.

Mason

Post by david parso » Sun, 20 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>> >        I'm trying to set up a firewall and currently have 2 NE2000 cards
>> >installed.  The second card is not being probed at boot.  Can anyone tell me
>> >how to get the second card recognised or do I have to use a different card?

>>    I had that same problem with McAfee's WebShield. I solved it by hacking
>>    drivers/net/Space.c so that both eth0 and eth1 would autoprobe (I also
>>    hacked the device driver so it would autoprobe when loaded as a module,
>>    but that's only vaguely related.)

>>                  ____
>>    david parsons \bi/ autoprobing is my friend.
>>                   \/

>If you are using lilo you can also pass a paramater at boot time to
>force probing of the card. See lilo docs or Boot HOWTO's.

   Yes, but that solution requires dealing with the command line.  The
   situation with WebShield is that the users should not have to know
   about this sort of thing.  This fits very well with my ideas on the
   subject, in that the damned computer is well- suited to doing this
   sort of work, so it should just find all the hardware and not bother
   me unless it dies.

   And hacking Space.c has the advantage that I won't forget to tell
   a new machine that it needs to probe for multiple cards.

                 ____
   david parsons \bi/ When you manage 40 or so machines, the joy of hand-
                  \/    hacking configurations becomes a little strained.

1. redhat won't probe 2nd ne2000 card

RedHat uses "modules" for most device drivers, thus the LILO parameters
aren't used.

If you have two ethernet cards and only one is detected do the following:

   1) As root, run X.  The "control-panel" should start up.

   2) Select the "kernel daemon configuration" tool in the control panel.

   3) Entry the following as the argument aka "options" for the ne driver:
        io=0x300,0x280
      (assuming your NE2000 cards are at 0x300 and 0x280)
   3) Restart kerneld using the button

Code 930.5, Goddard Space Flight Center,  Greenbelt, MD.  20771
301-286-0882         http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/people/becker/whoiam.html

2. Linux DMA

3. Installing both GCC and SUNWspro

4. Ne2000 Ethernet card-not probed at boot

5. iptables blocking ftp clients

6. NE2000 card probing

7. UNIX Text File Format

8. please help - ethernet card not being probed

9. Q: 2nd NE2000 card setup