Trouble installing PCMCIA support on Olivetti laptop

Trouble installing PCMCIA support on Olivetti laptop

Post by Bruno Prio » Mon, 21 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I am running Red Hat Linux 4.1, kernel version 2.0.27, on an Olivetti Echos
Pro 133S (P133, 32M RAM). I want to attach it to my network using a PCMCIA
network adapter (3Com 3C589). The PCMCIA slot and adapter work fine under
Win95, but I can't seem to get close to accessing them under Linux.

I have followed the instructions in the PCMCIA-HOWTO. Red Hat 4.1 comes
with version 2.8.23 of the pcmcia-cs package. Probe cannot detect the
PCMCIA controller, probably because the Echos Pro uses the Cirrus
PCI-to-PCMCIA bridge chip. The HOWTO says that this means I have to edit
the rc.pcmcia (actually the pcmcia file in the init.d directory, as this is
Red Hat) to load the i82365 module. The only way I know to load a module is
with insmod, and the i82365 module won't load this way. I get a message
saying "Card Services: wrong version or undefined. Loading failed! The
module symbols (from linux-2.-0.27) don't match your linux-2.0.27". Unless
it is not possible to load this module this way, this seems strange, as the
kernel and pcmcia package are from the same source.

However, I assumed that somehow or other, my pcmcia package was not
compatible with my kernel, and that the way round this was to compile the
pcmcia package from source under the existing kernel. I downloaded the
latest version of the pcmcia-cs package (version 2.9.7), and installed it
in its own directory under /usr/src. I ran "make config" (accepting all the
defaults, which all seemed appropriate) and then "make all". This compiles
the modules OK, but when it comes to compile the associated utilities
(cardmgr/cardinfo), it fails. Specifically, I get an error message stating
"In file included from cardinfo.c:25", and then a series of lines
specifying files that can't be found, e.g. "/usr/include/forms.h:719:
X11/Xlib.h: No such file or directory". The full list of files that can't
be found is Xlib.h, Xutil.h, Xatom.h, keysym.h, Xresource.h, and
cursorfont.h. However these do exist on my system, under
/usr/X11R6/include/X11/. I wondered whether make was looking in the wrong
place for these files, so I created /usr/include/X11 as a symbolic link to
this directory, but "make all" simply throws up a different error message:
"ld: cannot open -lXpm: No such file or directory", so I guess this is the
wrong approach to the problem.

The problem appears to occur while trying to compile cardinfo, but as far
as I am aware, it is not because of a problem with the Forms library, for
which I have also downloaded, compiled and installed the latest version
(bxform-elf-075, and yes, I am using an elf version).

In short, my existing pcmcia modules appear to be incompatible with my
kernel, and I can't compile new ones. What am I doing wrong?

The joyous thought in the back of my mind is that, if and when I figure
this problem out, I will then probably be faced with similar difficulties
configuring the PCMCIA controller manually (I have made a note of the port,
memory and IRQ settings under Win95, but will these necessarily work under
Linux as well?). Then I have got to configure the Ethernet adapter, then
configure networking correctly, then install Samba to get it to talk to
Windows, and NFS to share with other Linux machines. I have to do likewise
with my desktop computer, where the situation is exacerbated by having a
3Com 3c509B PnP adapter, for which, according to the Ethernet HOWTO, I have
to obliterate the PnP setting with a DOS utility I never received. This
will probably * up my Windows networking, which installed perfectly
out-of-the-box.

Does anyone else experience the sheer terror I feel when faced with making
even the most minor changes to my Linux setup? My desktop is still on
kernel 1.3 (it would be 1.2 if my hard disk hadn't crashed), and I still
use Perl4 for scripting (Perl5 *s up every script I have), because I
am absolutely certain that any change I make will take at least a week to
sort out. Some people may like to play with their computers, and enjoy
these challenges, but I just want to use mine. Computers are supposed to
increase productivity, not destroy it. Linux fans may snear at Win95's
archaic backwards-compatibility, but at least it can handle 95% of any
changes you throw at it. I would rather suffer bloated applications and
files, slower performance and the occasional hung application, than
impenetrable and incomprehensible installation and configuration routines.

I know I shouldn't complain. Linux is free, after all, and no one forced me
to use it. If I want support, I can always pay for a supported variety of
Unix. But I just hate the 100% certainty that any instructions I receive in
the HOWTOs or man pages are guaranteed not to work for me.

Very frustratedly,

1. Prob. installing FreeBSD 4.7 on a Olivetti Echos P133 laptop

Hi,

I'm having problem installing subject, when i boot up on the 2 x
installation floppydisc, i chose the configuration i full-screen mode,
and aprox. 5 sec. my keyboard freeze.

I don't have any PCMCIA netcard installed during the installation, and
i have disabled almost everything in the BIOS, which could conflict.

Any suggestions?

/Mich Nielsen

2. How do you add pseudo tty's

3. problems with Mandrake Linux install on a sony 505F laptop - PCMCIA card install issue

4. Your GOD Loves You - YES YOU!

5. PCMCIA and laptop hardware support

6. Where can I get `shell poster'?

7. Booting with PCMCIA support on 486 laptop?

8. HTTP over both TCP and UDP

9. Solaris on laptops; is support there for APM, PCMCIA, 802.11b cards, CDPD cards?

10. Laptop Linux boot disk with support for PCMCIA ethernet card

11. PCMCIA support for laptops?

12. suddenly lost PCMCIA support on laptop

13. Can I use all 40 MB RAM on Olivetti P133E laptop?