multiple monitors

Post by Gough J.J » Thu, 26 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I have just set up my windows OS to run on 2 monitors and this works
fine.
What I would REALLY like is to set up ms sytem so that I can use 2
monitors with linux. At the Xfree86 page they say that they plan to make
this easy with their next major release (4.0).
Does this imply that it is possible now but difficult???

please please help because I really love working with two monitors and
somebody must have done this already.

--
~~~~~~~~~
Julian Gough

Home Fax/Tel: +44-(0)1223-740705
Work Fax: +44-(0)1223-213556
Work Tel: +44-(0)1223-402479

multiple monitors

Post by Reiner Mayer » Mon, 07 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> I have just set up my windows OS to run on 2 monitors and this works
> fine.
> What I would REALLY like is to set up ms sytem so that I can use 2
> monitors with linux. At the Xfree86 page they say that they plan to make
> this easy with their next major release (4.0).
> Does this imply that it is possible now but difficult???

> please please help because I really love working with two monitors and
> somebody must have done this already.

> --
> ~~~~~~~~~
> Julian Gough
> Structural Studies Division
> MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology
> Hills Road
> Cambridge CB2 2QH
> England

> Home Fax/Tel: +44-(0)1223-740705
> Work Fax: +44-(0)1223-213556
> Work Tel: +44-(0)1223-402479

No, it is currently not possible :(

Reiner

This is what I posted recently :

As far as I know there is no support for multiheaded Video Boards in
XFree up to 3.3.3. You should get one Monitor by using the SVGA Driver
for the Cirrus Logic Chipset on your Board. I do the same with a miro
20SD twin which works with one Monitor with the normal S3 Driver. Maybe
some commercial X Products for Linux support multiheaded Cards. Look
at the websites of RH or SuSE, i remember to have seen offers there.
Otherwise wait for the next Major Release of XFree, I heard that this
Release will (probably) support multiheaded boards.
For future questions about Linux and X related things please refer to
comp.os.linux.x or to X related newsgroups. You will get better answers
there.

Reiner

multiple monitors