Problem accessing large optical disk disk after kernel upgrade

Problem accessing large optical disk disk after kernel upgrade

Post by Tim Lovel » Thu, 28 Nov 2002 03:53:59

Recently upgraded from 2.0.30 to 2.4.10 system completely stable Then
needed to reload some files archived 3 and a half years ago

Optical disk Hitachi 2Gb with 1024bytes/sector SCSI interface lives on sdc
 SCSI chain is correctly terminated and No SCSI errors reported in logs
AHA2940UW Pro with devices on all 3 interfaces.

Previously under 2.0.30 access no problems disks have ext2 filesystem
Attempt to read under 2.4.10 impossible mount refuses to mount disk says
cant identify ext2 fs.

rebooted to rescue 2.0.30 kernel call me a unbeliever but I kept a copy
just in case
- mount can read disks with no problems all files are where they should be
checking system logs reveals a message from SCSI subsystem when disk
mounted:
RESETTING SECTOR SCALE from 2 to 1

How do I persuade 2.4.10 to do this?  preferably automatically

I have a stack of these disks that I use pre*ly for archive or
large file transfers

Tim

Problem accessing large optical disk disk after kernel upgrade

Post by Trevor Hemsl » Thu, 28 Nov 2002 06:34:20

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002 18:53:59 UTC, "Tim Lovell"

> Recently upgraded from 2.0.30 to 2.4.10 system completely stable Then
> needed to reload some files archived 3 and a half years ago

> Optical disk Hitachi 2Gb with 1024bytes/sector SCSI interface lives on sdc
>  SCSI chain is correctly terminated and No SCSI errors reported in logs
> AHA2940UW Pro with devices on all 3 interfaces.

> Previously under 2.0.30 access no problems disks have ext2 filesystem
> Attempt to read under 2.4.10 impossible mount refuses to mount disk says
> cant identify ext2 fs.

> rebooted to rescue 2.0.30 kernel call me a unbeliever but I kept a copy
> just in case
> - mount can read disks with no problems all files are where they should be
> checking system logs reveals a message from SCSI subsystem when disk
> mounted:
> RESETTING SECTOR SCALE from 2 to 1

> How do I persuade 2.4.10 to do this?  preferably automatically

> I have a stack of these disks that I use pre*ly for archive or
> large file transfers

There was a bug with non-512 byte sector media in the early 2.4.x
kernels. Since 2.4.10 was released in September last year, it counts
as "early" by this definition. You probably want to upgrade to a newer
kernel than 2.4.10.

--
Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.