Considering Linux: Is my hardware good enough?

Post by John Thompso » Wed, 03 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> I am pinching pennies to be able to buy a new computer.  But in the mean time
> I want to get the most out of my current machine.  I have been an OS/2 user
> since version 2.0 came out, but can see the writing on the walls telling me I
> may soon be in a dead-end niche.

> I am interested in trying Linux, but I am not sure how well it will run on my
> current hardware.  I know it won't be state-of-the-art, but will it perform
> reasonably well?

> Zeos 486-66 VL-Bus(purchased 1993) 256k cache Martin motherboard
> Upgraded CPU using Evergreen 586 module (AMD 586 120mhz)
> On-board SCSI (Adaptec 6360??)
> Toshiba SCSI 4x CD-ROM
> 32 MB RAM
> 420 MB HD
> 850 MB HD (Bios can only see 540 MB, but OS/2 allows HPFS partition in the
> remaining space)
> Diamond Speedstar VL-Bus video card
> Sound Blaster 16

> I plan to add a 2GB SCSI hard drive for the linux partition.

My original linux machine was a 5x86/133 (upgraded from
486dx33, 1992 BIOS) with 32MB RAM, 700MB EIDE drive, 2.1GB
SCSI drive NEC SCSI CDROM, Exabyte SCSI tape, S3Vision 968
VLB video.  It worked fine (albeit slower than this machine)
but quite usable.  In fact it remains in service as the
news/mail server for my home LAN.

--

Post by James Youngma » Wed, 03 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> I am pinching pennies to be able to buy a new computer.  But in the mean time
> I want to get the most out of my current machine.  I have been an OS/2 user
> since version 2.0 came out, but can see the writing on the walls telling me I
> may soon be in a dead-end niche.

> I am interested in trying Linux, but I am not sure how well it will run on my
> current hardware.  I know it won't be state-of-the-art, but will it perform
> reasonably well?

> Zeos 486-66 VL-Bus(purchased 1993) 256k cache Martin motherboard
> Upgraded CPU using Evergreen 586 module (AMD 586 120mhz)
> On-board SCSI (Adaptec 6360??)
> Toshiba SCSI 4x CD-ROM
> 32 MB RAM
> 420 MB HD
> 850 MB HD (Bios can only see 540 MB, but OS/2 allows HPFS partition in the
> remaining space)
> Diamond Speedstar VL-Bus video card
> Sound Blaster 16

I failed to install OS/2 version 2.1 on a very similar machine.  IBM
technical support indicated that this was because my machine was "too
fast".  So I installed Linux on it.  I ran Linux happily on it for
four years.  You'll be fine.

Linux will see all of your 850Mb hard disk.  Make sure the root
filesystem isn't in the bit that isn't accessible to the BIOS,
otherwise LILO won't be able to use the BIOS to load the kernel at
boot time.

--

Post by Stephen Jenut » Thu, 04 Mar 1999 04:00:00

[...]

My 486 upgraded to a 133 586, with 32MB RAM, two hard drives, a couple
of nics, a pas-16 cdrom/soundcard and a cldg5429 soundcard runs things
quite well. Even xwindows runs at a pretty acceptable speed.

It takes a couple of hours to compile a new kernel, but otherwise
pretty good. Soon it will be become a mere firewall however.

Best regards,

Stephen Jenuth

Post by Stude » Fri, 05 Mar 1999 04:00:00

[...]

Well I think that most of the hardware should pose no problem. I am not sure
about Evergreen though.

Greetings,
der Joachim

--
Computional linguistics student at Tilburg University,
The Netherlands

A true hunter weeps at a merciless kill (The God Machine)

1. Good Enough to Sleep With but not Good Enough to Marry?

I've touched on this subject a couple of times before, but I just wanted
to drive the point home.

There are many commercial companies out there that are benefitting off of
the use of Open Source Software with their products, especially Linux in
embedded devices.

Linux powers cell phones, PDA's, robots, routers, communications devices,
Pocket PC's, and a whole slew of other specialized devices.

The thing is, where these companies that use embedded Linux are
benefitting and profiting off of using Linux in their products, they
provide little or no support for users of Linux and their products.

I have personally experienced this with three seperate products I own that
are linux powered.

What is this about?  Are these companies hypocrites?  It's ok to reap the
all the benefits of using Linux to drive our products but they are not
willing to make a committment to the community by providing support for
Linux users with their products?

I know that there is of course the financial aspect of it, but it still
seems to be negligent and hypocritical on the part of these companies.

That's my take on it anyway.

--
rapskat  -  1:25am  up 4 days, 11:09,  4 users,  load average: 0.07, 0.04, 0.01
drop the hot to mail me

Shit Happens. -- Forrest Gump (?)

2. Where do I buy a supported version?

3. When good enough is good enough

4. Initio 9100UW (Miles)

5. JET considered not good enough (long)

6. Talk to a Xyplex on Parallel port. Ok?

7. Deep thoughts...Good Enough Is Enough

8. setting up LAN with linux

9. Considering Linux..hardware questions

10. *SIGH* When will linux EVER get good enough?!

11. New to linux ... Good enough eq to run?

12. Is Linux good enough?

13. Another reason why Linux isn't good enough.