Yet Another Poor Sap with Promise Ultra 100TX2 Problems

Yet Another Poor Sap with Promise Ultra 100TX2 Problems

Post by Full Nam » Thu, 16 Aug 2001 09:07:39

Two weeks ago I got a new spankin' IBM UDMA-100 drive and a Promise Ultra
100TX2 card to interface with my BX-based mobo. The two UDMA-33 mobo
controllers are fully loaded with two devices each. Visions of 30+ MB/sec
data transfer rates danced before my eyes. As I said that was roughly two
weeks ago.

The first battle was to get the drive recognized by the kernel. Paul
Woodward helped me* that one by passing the kernel the right I/O
addresses. The next battle, the one I'm mired in currently, is trying to get
DMA transfers working. I've tried the new 2.4.8 kernel, I've tried 2.4.7
patched to ac3 (this worked for Paul), and I've tried 2.4.7 patched with
ide-2.4.7-p3.all, all to no avail. Anyone out there get this sucker working
properly? My Promise card has a PDC20268 chip.

Yet Another Poor Sap with Promise Ultra 100TX2 Problems

Post by Paul Woodwar » Mon, 27 Aug 2001 05:42:18

I'm not alone - Dave too has managed to get it working - see this mail
thread...

Paul.

RE: Getting Promise Card Recognized in RH7.1 From: "DEBELLIS,DAVE
(HP-Vancouver,ex1)" <dave_debel...@hp.com> To: 'Paul Woodward'
<paul.woodwa...@ntlworld.com> Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 08:08:18 -0700

Paul,

Success! I wish I could say that it was some esoteric combination of irq
conflicts and drive setup parameters, but as so often seems to happen (at
least to me) it was fairly mundane. The cause of my problem was that I
incorrectly patched the 2.4.7 kernel and didn't know it. What tipped me
off was your statement about the Promise configuration selection in make
xconfig. I didn't have the PROMISE PDC202{46|62|65|67|68} pick. I looked
in the ac3 patch and sure enough it was there. That's when I knew I'd gone
awry. A quick looksee on the patch manpage told me how I should be using
the patch command.

I'm pleased to say when I boot the new kernel and issue hdparm -c1 -d1
/dev/hde it tells me DMA is enabled. With hdparm -tT /dev/hde I'm getting
111 MB/sec on cache reads and 38 MB/sec on buffer reads. Thanks for all
your help in solving this problem, Paul. I was losing gumption as my
frustration level mounted. Now I can focus on other things like getting my
dual monitor setup working with XFree86!

Thanks,

Dave