aic7xxx freezes with kernel 2.4.13

Post by Pim Zandberge » Fri, 09 Nov 2001 00:20:28

Hi,

I've got a Dell PowerEdge 1300 with dual PIII's and dual aic7xxx
controllers. One controller is onboard, the other is in a PCI slot.

The system is running Red Hat 7.1 with kernel 2.4.13.

Lately, this system is experiencing freezes that may last one or two
minutes. These usually occur during heavy Samba activity. After the
freeze, the system usually recovers, but by then, the Samba clients
have timed out their operations.

Syslog shows the freezes are related to the SCSI subsystem. I'm having
trouble interpreting this information. Is my hardware suspect or could
this be a driver bug?

Syslog entries (with aic7xxx=verbose) showing the boot process and a
system freeze can be found on

http://www.macroscoop.nl/~pim/aic7xxx/syslog.html (98.080 bytes) or
http://www.macroscoop.nl/~pim/aic7xxx/syslog.gz   (6.410 bytes)

Thanks,
Pim

Post by Brian S. Paski » Fri, 09 Nov 2001 01:16:25

> Hi,

> I've got a Dell PowerEdge 1300 with dual PIII's and dual aic7xxx
> controllers. One controller is onboard, the other is in a PCI slot.

> The system is running Red Hat 7.1 with kernel 2.4.13.

> Lately, this system is experiencing freezes that may last one or two
> minutes. These usually occur during heavy Samba activity. After the
> freeze, the system usually recovers, but by then, the Samba clients
> have timed out their operations.

> Syslog shows the freezes are related to the SCSI subsystem. I'm having
> trouble interpreting this information. Is my hardware suspect or could
> this be a driver bug?

> Syslog entries (with aic7xxx=verbose) showing the boot process and a
> system freeze can be found on

> http://www.macroscoop.nl/~pim/aic7xxx/syslog.html (98.080 bytes) or
> http://www.macroscoop.nl/~pim/aic7xxx/syslog.gz   (6.410 bytes)

> Thanks,
> Pim

Hi,

I am not sure that it is 2.4.13.  I am running RH 7.1 and kernal 2.4.13
with the aic7xxx module compiled in the kernal and it works fine.  I do
have some system freezes, but it appears to be releated to ppp and not my
scsi controller.  I have not narrowed down the problem yet.  You may have a
completely different problem.

-Brian

--
#-------------------------------------------#
"Domani sar un giorno migliore vedrai"

http://www.paskino.com
#-------------------------------------------#

1. aic7xxx freezes with kernel 2.4.13

[...]

-

2. telnet welcome screen

3. aic7xxx freezes with kernel 2.4.13 - solved

4. Who knows a suitable backup program?

5. Kernel panic: Loop 1 (aic7xxx under 2.4.13-ac[246])

6. page accounting

7. new aic7xxx bug, 2.4.13/6.2.4

8. cobalt micro, security?

9. emu10k1 freezes 2.4.13

10. 2.4.13-pre6 breaks Nvidia's kernel module

11. Deadlock in kernel > 2.4.13-pre6

12. Deadlock on kernels > 2.4.13-pre6