Will a modem on a USB port work with Linux?

Will a modem on a USB port work with Linux?

Post by Roland Behuni » Mon, 19 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi Folks,

Well, that is the question - will a modem on a USB port work with linux.
Seems I have a winmodem (combined with sound card) on the inside of my
computer.

So I am wondering if I should try and locate and external modem - for a USB
port or a serial port.

Thanks in advance
roland

Will a modem on a USB port work with Linux?

Post by Jimmy Caldwel » Tue, 20 Jul 1999 04:00:00

No.  To my knowlege Linux does not support USB

Quote:> Hi Folks,

> Well, that is the question - will a modem on a USB port work with linux.
> Seems I have a winmodem (combined with sound card) on the inside of my
> computer.

> So I am wondering if I should try and locate and external modem - for a
USB
> port or a serial port.

> Thanks in advance
> roland

Will a modem on a USB port work with Linux?

Post by Stuart R. Full » Tue, 20 Jul 1999 04:00:00

: Hi Folks,
:
: Well, that is the question - will a modem on a USB port work with linux.

This is the answer: NO.

: Seems I have a winmodem (combined with sound card) on the inside of my
: computer.
:
: So I am wondering if I should try and locate and external modem - for a USB
: port or a serial port.

Go with the serial port external modem.

        Stu

Will a modem on a USB port work with Linux?

Post by Greg Leblan » Wed, 21 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Actually, the answer is, not unless you write the driver yourself.  :)
The USB support for Linux is still very expeirmental, and there are
almost no device specific devices last time I checked.
       Greg

Quote:> Hi Folks,

--
It's pronounced "*" not "scuzzy"!

Post by Mohd H Misn » Thu, 22 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>Actually, the answer is, not unless you write the driver yourself.  :)
>The USB support for Linux is still very expeirmental, and there are
>almost no device specific devices last time I checked.
>       Greg

Give www.linux-usb.org and you'll get surprises.. USB developments are almost
done and I guess will be included in the next release of 2.2.11. They even got
some codes working for external USB storage devices, printers etc..

--

|AMDK6-2/300/Linux2.2.10 | http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/3319/   |
-Your ignorance cramps our conversation.