Syquest SparQ drivers?

Post by tecklenbur » Mon, 15 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I have seen ads for Syquest's new SparQ removeable media HD.  Looks
very interesting at a low price.

However, (as usual) there are drivers available only for Win-junk.

Does anyone know if there are plans/progress in the Linux world for a
Linux
driver for the SparQ?

Best Wishes.

Ann Tecklenburg

Syquest SparQ drivers?

Post by Leon Woestenbe » Tue, 16 Dec 1997 04:00:00

: I have seen ads for Syquest's new SparQ removeable media HD.  Looks
: very interesting at a low price.

: However, (as usual) there are drivers available only for Win-junk.

: Does anyone know if there are plans/progress in the Linux world for a
: Linux
: driver for the SparQ?

No drivers needed, other than your favorite SCSI hostadapter driver. The
drive is then recognized as a removable media drive.

I've got the professional flavor of the SparQ, the "SyJet" running all fine
and dandy via a Symbios (formerly called NCR) 53c800 based SCSI adapter.

Regards,

Leon.

Syquest SparQ drivers?

Post by Matt Kirsc » Tue, 16 Dec 1997 04:00:00

 > I have seen ads for Syquest's new SparQ removeable media HD.  Looks
 > very interesting at a low price.

 > However, (as usual) there are drivers available only for Win-junk.

 > Does anyone know if there are plans/progress in the Linux world for a
 > Linux driver for the SparQ?

The EIDE version should look like a regular EIDE hard drive to Linux. If
not, I bet the ATAPI Floppy driver in 2.0.31 and up would work.

One of the parallel port EIDE drivers from www.torque.net/linux-pp.html
may work for the external version, but I am not holding out much hope.
Keep an eye on that site, because if a parallel port driver comes out,
that's where it will be coming from.

Syquest SparQ drivers?

Post by Matt Kirsc » Wed, 17 Dec 1997 04:00:00

 > No drivers needed, other than your favorite SCSI hostadapter driver.
The
 > drive is then recognized as a removable media drive.

 > I've got the professional flavor of the SparQ, the "SyJet" running
all fine
 > and dandy via a Symbios (formerly called NCR) 53c800 based SCSI
adapter.

That's all fine and dandy, except the SparQ is an EIDE or parallel
interface peripheral, depending on the model you buy. It is also a 1GB
capacity, not 1.5 like the SyJet.

The EIDE version will be recognized as an EIDE hard drive. The parallel
version doesn't have a specific driver for it that I know of, but one of
the drivers at www.torque.net/linux-pp.html that is meant for a
parallel-IDE bridge might work on the drive. Don't bother with
parallel-SCSI drivers, like the ppa (Zip), or the T348/T358 drivers,
because the SparQ Parallel is the EIDE version in a case.

Syquest SparQ drivers?

Post by Kevin Donova » Wed, 17 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> The EIDE version will be recognized as an EIDE hard drive. The parallel
> version doesn't have a specific driver for it that I know of, but one of
> the drivers at www.torque.net/linux-pp.html that is meant for a
> parallel-IDE bridge might work on the drive.

I have tried the ep.c driver at www.torque.net and it seems to work.
I compiled ep.c as a module, and I was then able to format the disk
and create a partition, as well as copy files from my hard disk to the
Sparq through the parallel port.

I haven't been able to run a full test, however, because my machine
has gone flakey the last month or so.  For example, if I try to do a
big compilation, the kernel usually crashes after about ten minutes,
and the machine won't reboot unless I turn it off for at least five or
ten minutes, presumably so some overheated component can cool down.
This problem arose before I bought the Sparq drive, and in fact it was
one of my motives for buying the drive.  Unfortunately, whenever I try
to save a lot of files to the disk (which can be as little as 1-2
Mbytes), the PC exhibits the same symptoms.  It may be that the ep.c
driver is unreliable, but I know for a fact that the hardware has
problems and this seems the more likely culprit.

If anyone else is thinking of buying a Sparq drive, you can be sure
that there is a driver for it that works under at least some
conditions, and possibly works for all normal configurations.

Kevin

Syquest SparQ drivers?

Post by Sean McClear » Sun, 11 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> I have seen ads for Syquest's new SparQ removeable media HD.  Looks
> very interesting at a low price.

> However, (as usual) there are drivers available only for Win-junk.

> Does anyone know if there are plans/progress in the Linux world for a
> Linux
> driver for the SparQ?

> Best Wishes.

> Ann Tecklenburg

        The drivers mentioned on the newsgroup that can be gotten at
www.torque.net work for the SparQ just fine.  ep.c is compiled as a
module and presto, you're in business.  Kinda funny, the drivers are
meant for the syquest EZ-drives, but work with the sparq.   oh well,
guess they're all IDE-over-parallel stuff, anyhow.

sean

1. SyQuest SparQ driver

I am considering getting the sparq removable drive.  I was wondering if
there is a driver for it.  I don't really know enough about actually
operating linux to even consider myself a newbie.  I have managed to
install Red Had 4.2.  But have had no luck getting x windows to work.
On the Sparq drive I would be getting the IDE version. Would linux just
recognize it as any IDE hard drive?

I would also like to compliment the people in this group.  I have hardly
seen anything approaching a flame war.  I see lots of solid information,
and no flames.  Finally a civilized group.

          Jessie Williams

2. AMD ripoff?

3. Driver for Syquest SparQ - Linux

4. can't mount cdrom(newbie)

5. Printer driver for HP DeskJet 870Cse and SyQuest SparQ

6. New books on firewalls ?

7. Device Driver for Syquest SparQ 1.0 GB Backup Drive

8. Browser based email - Specifics

9. SyQuest 1Mb SparQ Parallel Port Drive

10. syquest sparq & epson

11. sparQ 1G0 syquest config : problem

12. SyQuest SparQ drive

13. SyQuest SparQ as boot drive