Belkin OmniView 2-Port Kills Mouse in Linux

Belkin OmniView 2-Port Kills Mouse in Linux

Post by Davi » Tue, 18 Dec 2001 16:14:11

Hi Folks ...

I'm using a Belkin OmniView 2-Port KVM switch to move between Windows
2000 and Linux 7. When I switch from Linux to Windows and back, I lose
my mouse. How can I re-initialize the mouse, or set Linux or X Windows
to automatically re-initialize my mouse after a KVM switch?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

More to come ...

Stephen G. McDowell

Belkin OmniView 2-Port Kills Mouse in Linux

Post by Rod » Tue, 18 Dec 2001 19:47:43

I have a KVM switch where you only have to hit the Right Shift Key 3 times
and it re-initializes the mouse and display. Not sure if it is standard but
thought I would post anyway (worth a try).

rod

Quote:> Hi Folks ...

Post by Michael Meissne » Wed, 19 Dec 2001 01:49:07

> Hi Folks ...

> I'm using a Belkin OmniView 2-Port KVM switch to move between Windows
> 2000 and Linux 7. When I switch from Linux to Windows and back, I lose
> my mouse. How can I re-initialize the mouse, or set Linux or X Windows
> to automatically re-initialize my mouse after a KVM switch?

I get this with my PowerReach KVM, if one computer has the mouse in wheel
mode, and the other in standard PS/2 mode.  What I do is go to a text terminal
(alt-control-f1), and switch back to X (alt-control-f7), and doing so causes X
to reinitialize the mouse.

--
Michael Meissner, Red Hat, Inc.  (GCC group)

Belkin OmniView 2-Port Kills Mouse in Linux

Post by Stephen G. McDowe » Wed, 19 Dec 2001 04:53:13

Greetings Michael ...

That doesn't seem to do the trick. Doing a Ctl-Alt-F1 and a Ctl-Alt-F7
swaps me out of X to a terminal and then back into X, but the mouse is
still out of whack when I come back.

Is there any way to re-initialize the mouse manually, i.e., through a
terminal window?

I notice this is a prevalent issue. Would a better (more expensive)
KVM box work to my advantage?

Thanks for your time and attention ...

Stephen G. McDowell

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001 16:49:07 GMT, Michael Meissner

>> Hi Folks ...

>> I'm using a Belkin OmniView 2-Port KVM switch to move between Windows
>> 2000 and Linux 7. When I switch from Linux to Windows and back, I lose
>> my mouse. How can I re-initialize the mouse, or set Linux or X Windows
>> to automatically re-initialize my mouse after a KVM switch?

>I get this with my PowerReach KVM, if one computer has the mouse in wheel
>mode, and the other in standard PS/2 mode.  What I do is go to a text terminal
>(alt-control-f1), and switch back to X (alt-control-f7), and doing so causes X
>to reinitialize the mouse.

>--
>Michael Meissner, Red Hat, Inc.  (GCC group)
>PMB 198, 174 Littleton Road #3, Westford, Massachusetts 01886, USA

Belkin OmniView 2-Port Kills Mouse in Linux

Post by Michael Meissne » Fri, 21 Dec 2001 15:02:51

Quote:> Greetings Michael ...

> That doesn't seem to do the trick. Doing a Ctl-Alt-F1 and a Ctl-Alt-F7
> swaps me out of X to a terminal and then back into X, but the mouse is
> still out of whack when I come back.

> Is there any way to re-initialize the mouse manually, i.e., through a
> terminal window?

> I notice this is a prevalent issue. Would a better (more expensive)
> KVM box work to my advantage?

In theory, an electronic KVM should do this for you.  When I used a 4 port
Cybex Autoview before switching to the 8 port Power Reach, it had a key
sequence to reinitialize the mouse in either standard or PS/2 mode, and the KVM
kept track of the mouse state.  As I mentioned before, the Power Reach does not
keep track of the mouse state (when I upgraded, the Power Reach was the only
one who documented passing the DDC information from the monitor through, and I
needed it when my laptop was in the docking station, running Windows).  The one
downside of the Cybex was the attention sequence (control-control) made my RSI
(repetitive stress injury) worse.

--

Post by Michael Perr » Sun, 23 Dec 2001 14:45:12

>> Hi Folks ...

>> I'm using a Belkin OmniView 2-Port KVM switch to move between Windows
>> 2000 and Linux 7. When I switch from Linux to Windows and back, I lose
>> my mouse. How can I re-initialize the mouse, or set Linux or X Windows
>> to automatically re-initialize my mouse after a KVM switch?

> I get this with my PowerReach KVM, if one computer has the mouse in wheel
> mode, and the other in standard PS/2 mode.  What I do is go to a text terminal
> (alt-control-f1), and switch back to X (alt-control-f7), and doing so causes X
> to reinitialize the mouse.

Yeah.  This is the behavior I see with my MS explorer trackball mouse
also with a 4-port kvm switch by  belkin.  I had a cybex at work which
seemed to kill the mouse each time if I hooked my IBM ThinkPad T21 to it
so I could share keyboard and video with a windows and other linux
system.

Now to keep the mouse right in X4.1 on debian, I do the console
switching.  If I don't use the wheel and use regular PS/2 stuff I never
have to do this.  Unfortunately, Windows XP behaves quite well under
these circumstances and I can switch to that system or a 98 system I
have without having to do any additional keyboard or monitor tricks.

For me, its a choice of using the rollerball on the mouse or being
strictly in ps/2 mode all the time with no roller.  I have to admit to
getting quite spoiled by the trackball on the mouse so I do the console
switching.

--
Michael Perry | "Do or do not; there is no try" Master Yoda

1. Belkin OmniView 2-Port Kills Mouse in Linux

Hi Folks ...

I'm using a Belkin OmniView 2-Port KVM switch to move between Windows
2000 and Linux 7. When I switch from Linux to Windows and back, I lose
my mouse. How can I re-initialize the mouse, or set Linux or X Windows
to automatically re-initialize my mouse after a KVM switch?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

More to come ...

Stephen G. McDowell

2. Recovering from a system lockup w/o rebooting. How?

3. C++ Shared libs

4. Belkin OmniView 2-Port Kills Mouse in Linix

5. Why does AWK round up & down when totalling numbers?

6. Belkin 2-Port KVM Switch Kills Mouse in X

7. Problems configuring XFree86

8. Belkin 2-Port KVM Switch Kills PS/2 Mouse in X

9. Belkin 2-Port KVM Switch Kills Mouse in X

10. belkin box (OmniView 4-port) and linux

11. Belkin OmniCube (2-port) resets my keyboard rate in Red Hat Linux 7.1

12. Belkin 8 Port OmniView Pro