Harddisk works fine with windows, not with linux :( HELP!

Harddisk works fine with windows, not with linux :( HELP!

Post by Bart Kuste » Sat, 26 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I hope someone can help me with this:

I have bought a new harddisk, a seagate medalist 4300mb (not the
pro-version). It is an UDMA2-harddisk. The label says it has 8894
cylinders, 15 heads and 63 sectors. The BIOS and linux autodetect
523/255/63. The disk works fine with windows '98. Linux gives me the
following problems:

1. When the kernel reads the partitiontable, it gives the following
error-message, but i does successfully read the partitiontable. When the
partitiontable is reread after running fdisk, I don't see any error
messages.
The error was:
hdb: set_multmode: status=0x51 {DriveReady SeekComplete Error}
hdb: set_multmode: error=0x04 {DriveStatusError}

2. when i write the partitiontable with fdisk, and then restart fdisk,
and look at the partitiontable, fdisk said the following:
partition 2 has different physical/logical ending:
phys=(600,254,19) logical=(90,254,63)
partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary:
phys=(600,254,19) logical=(90,254,63)
partition 4 has different physical/logical beginnens (non-Linux?):
phys=(254,0,11) logical=(448,0,1)

3. When i run mke2fs i get the following error-message (no matter what
inode-size i specify):
hdb: write_intr: status=0x051 {DriveReady SeekComplete Error}
hdb: write_intr: error=0x10 {SectorIdNotFound}, LBASector=97910975,
sector=141
(and this about 5 times for every sector)
sometimes is see:
ide0: reset: success

4. I do remember seeing this message (but i don't remember when, and i
could not recreate it):
hda: dma disabled
hdb: dma disabled

When i ignore all errors, and install slackware, fsck gives a lot of
error-messages, and it won't boot. When i boot linux with parameters
"hdb=8894,15,63", problem #2 does not occur, but all the other things
still go wrong. I tried to install slackware 3.5 with kernel 2.0.34. I
had the same error with kernel 2.0.35. My motherboard is an Asus P2B-DS,
but i could recreate the error on a p166. I also tried the disk as
master, slave and single, and on the primary and secondary IDE. It all
gave the same effect. Another quantum 6.4gb-disk works fine in the same
system.

Does anybody know what could be wrong ? Is there a bug in the kernel ?
Or is the disk just broken (but then...it works fine with windows '98
and DOS).

I hope someone can help me, otherwise I'm doomed to use win'98 :(

Grtz,

1. ICQ Works fine under windows, not in linux (Masq)

Hi All,
I apologize if I replicate any previous posts on the issue, I
have searched through them and not found any precisely similar to
mine!

I am experimenting with running Linux on my desktop.  I have
Windows 98SE and Mandrake 7.0 both installed on this computer.
Netscape, E-mail, AOL, etc, all work fine under Linux, but ICQ
does not.  The obvious answer (Since I am masquerading through a
Red Hat 6.1 box) would be that its the Masquerading that is
throwing a wrench in the ICQ.  Well, I bet that is the problem,
but ICQ works fine under Windows.  Never tried chat/file transfer
but those are features I really don't use.

My RedHat 6.1 machine is NOT running the ICQ module, and is not
running any special tricks for ICQ.  Occassionally (Rarely) while
using one of the numerous ICQ clients for linux, it will work for
like 5 minutes just fine.  Then another week of downtime.  This
could have something to do with the timeout settings, but I have
been unsuccessful in finding anything that works.

Its just odd to me that it works A+ perfect under windows but
barely at all under Linux.  Maybe I should try a more thorough
firewall solution like a Socks 5 or something.

Thanks for any suggestions!

2. Using cu (~%take & ~%put) commands in a shelll script

3. FTP works with windows, not with linux :((

4. Latest version of Linux

5. PPPD w/ PAP not working, works fine w/o PAP

6. Getting stuck in UMSDOS menu (Slackware 2.2.0 CD)

7. AHA 1542 Scsi not working under RH 6.1; worked fine under RH 5.2

8. myth ii on tnt

9. Slip not working in 1.2.3, but works fine in 1.1.59

10. Telnet INHOUSE not working, outside works fine.

11. LINUX DOESN'T SUPPORT MY PRINTER/SCANNER/COPIER Windows XP works fine.

12. Talk refused to talk:(:(:(:(

13. HELP! Talk not working :(