Poor Sound quality(Soundblaster)

Post by Christopher Michael Colli » Fri, 06 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

        I have compiled soundblaster support into my kernel(2.0.35)
It is a sb16(ct2230).  I have a 586/133 w/32memory. I have a dos
partition.  So,  I can run workbone, and workman and play an
audio CD.  It does work.  The problem is it just doesn't sound
*great*.  I have the creative DOS driver and when I play the
same audio CD while booted into windoze, the quality of the
audio output is superior(CD quality).
        Is it possible to 'tune' the Linux sound config?  Does
sound either work as is, or not work?  I would think it
would sound identical, but there is just a slight degradation
of audio quality while in Linux, it is noticable.
        What is available to test the kernels sound support,
or tune it somehow.

--
--Chris

Poor Sound quality(Soundblaster)

Post by Christopher Michael Colli » Sat, 07 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hello All,

        Any takers on helping figure out this quality situation?
Is there a way of setting up a equlizer/mixer?  I would also
be interested in a studio style test sound file.  Left channel,
right channel, different tones etc..
        The sound quality is just not equal to the output
through DOS.
--
--Chris

Poor Sound quality(Soundblaster)

Post by Christopher Michael Colli » Sat, 07 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Here is the output from startup(dmesg).
***************************************

Sound initialization started
<Sound Blaster 16 (4.13)> at 0x220 irq 5 dma 1,5
<Yamaha OPL3 FM> at 0x388
Sound initialization complete

***************************************

The soundblaster setting (0x220 irq 5 dma 1,5) seem to match
those in DOS.  What is the function of the Yamaha part?  Could
this be contributing to the poorer sound quality than that of DOS?
--
--Chris

Post by Josh Fishm » Sat, 14 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> Hello All,

>    Any takers on helping figure out this quality situation?
> Is there a way of setting up a equlizer/mixer?  I would also
> be interested in a studio style test sound file.  Left channel,
> right channel, different tones etc..
>    The sound quality is just not equal to the output
> through DOS.

Hi Chris,

Two stabs in the relative dark from someone who has a SB32 and
Linux and thinks they work pretty well together:

 1) Linux, by default, turns `ogain' (output gain) way the hell up.
    This can lead to a `hissing' type of distortion.
    Cure: try `aumix' or `xmixer' or whatever to set `ogain' lower.

 2) the dreaded Halting Problem :-)
    Linux hates to busy-wait (unless you're running SMP) so it halts
    your processor when it would've otherwise been idle. Then your
    processor wakes up, suddenly drawing more power. The power spike
    causes interference on your sound card (somehow).
    Cure: when you see the LILO: prompt, type `no-hlt'.
    CAVEAT: I've not tried this myself, only read about it (here).

Hope this helps,
                 Josh
--
   O<     ( (    ``If it's a hobby for us and a job for you,
 _NH >=O   ) )     then why are you doing such a shoddy job?''