Onboard vs PCI video

Post by Tim McCo » Fri, 02 Jul 2004 07:04:08

Okay... so this one has me thinking. I have an old system with an onboard
i810 video controller, but was recently given a dead PC with a PCI NVIDIA
TNT2 which I was considering playing with, to grunt up 3D a little. Using
an additional video card in onboard setups is something I know is common.

When starting X, it appears to have an issue resolving the video adapter
against the onboard version, as X crashes with an error message about the
PCI bus not being available. I switched my Xconfig to "nv", and then to
"VESA", and although the console video was being displayed through the PCI
NVIDIA adapter, X didn't appear to be able to use it... It seemed to point
to a conflict somewhere.

There isn't any video being sent from the onboard VGA connector, and the
machine boots normally in text-only console display, so it's just X giving
me issues. What normally needs to be done to get this sort of thing
working?

Cheers

Tim

--
"Linux... because rebooting is for adding new hardware!"

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~tmccoy

ICQ: 160341067

Onboard vs PCI video

Post by John-Paul Stewar » Fri, 02 Jul 2004 07:09:35

> Okay... so this one has me thinking. I have an old system with an onboard
> i810 video controller, but was recently given a dead PC with a PCI NVIDIA
> TNT2 which I was considering playing with, to grunt up 3D a little. Using
> an additional video card in onboard setups is something I know is common.
[snip]
> There isn't any video being sent from the onboard VGA connector, and the
> machine boots normally in text-only console display, so it's just X giving
> me issues. What normally needs to be done to get this sort of thing
> working?

Have you tried setting the "BusID" parameter in your XF86Config file?
If that's pointing to your i810 (or absent), it's possible that X is
trying to use the wrong driver to drive the i810 and not seeing the TNT2
card at all.  'lspci' will tell you the bus address of the TNT2 and you
can then pass that in "BusID" parameter.  (Note that there may be some
formatting differences between lspci's output and what goes into the
XFree86 file.)

Onboard vs PCI video

Post by ray » Fri, 02 Jul 2004 10:27:23

> Okay... so this one has me thinking. I have an old system with an onboard
> i810 video controller, but was recently given a dead PC with a PCI NVIDIA
> TNT2 which I was considering playing with, to grunt up 3D a little. Using
> an additional video card in onboard setups is something I know is common.

> When starting X, it appears to have an issue resolving the video adapter
> against the onboard version, as X crashes with an error message about the
> PCI bus not being available. I switched my Xconfig to "nv", and then to
> "VESA", and although the console video was being displayed through the PCI
> NVIDIA adapter, X didn't appear to be able to use it... It seemed to point
> to a conflict somewhere.

> There isn't any video being sent from the onboard VGA connector, and the
> machine boots normally in text-only console display, so it's just X giving
> me issues. What normally needs to be done to get this sort of thing
> working?

> Cheers

> Tim

Suggest you refer to the xinerama howto - it will make everything quite
clear.

1. On-Board video vs PCI video card: can linux recognize?

I have a 2+ year old NEC machine which has an on-board video
chip (Trio64V+) .. I purchased a newer 3D video card last uear, right
now the brand escapes me

When I tried last year with RedHat 5.1, linux would never recognize
the PCI card, and always saw the on-board video, I can't remember what
went wrong, but I could never get X configured properly with the card
in, so I removed it

now that I am using Mandrake 6.2, will this later version of Unix be
able to handle the PCI card better?

Bowden

2. Determining sub Threads

3. want to bypass onboard video and force PCI video

4. need help with rewrite

5. How to use PCI video card instead of onboard video?

6. checkpoint fw-1 usable scripts available !

7. Disabling on-board pci video in Linux

8. apache, virtual host and SunOS 4.1.x how??

9. can I add a PCI video card if my motherboard has already one (onboard)?

10. using pci video instead of onboard on intel ca810e

11. Onboard Video & AGP Video

12. Q: S3 vs. ATI for PCI video...

13. X on PCI vs. AGP video cards