Sound Blaster Compatibility?

Post by David Lent » Mon, 22 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hello all,
        Does anyone know if there is a sound package compatibily with a Sound
Blaster PCI 512?

Thanks,
        Dave

Sound Blaster Compatibility?

Post by Jason Sosinsk » Mon, 22 Nov 1999 04:00:00

The sb 512 pci uses the same chipset as the sound blaster live.  To get the
drivers, go to sound blasters ftp site and look under "Beta Drivers" for
emu101k.tar.gz.  This is a small package that works under specific kernels (dont
know which ones right now).  I recently had the same card and got rid of it as I
have changed distros and it is designed for specific kernels where I am running
an older kernel that is not supported.  If you cannot find the file, let me know
and I will email it to you.

Post by David Lent » Tue, 23 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> The sb 512 pci uses the same chipset as the sound blaster live.  To get the
> drivers, go to sound blasters ftp site and look under "Beta Drivers" for
> emu101k.tar.gz.  This is a small package that works under specific kernels (dont
> know which ones right now).  I recently had the same card and got rid of it as I
> have changed distros and it is designed for specific kernels where I am running
> an older kernel that is not supported.  If you cannot find the file, let me know
> and I will email it to you.

> > Hello all,
> >         Does anyone know if there is a sound package compatibily with a Sound
> > Blaster PCI 512?

> > Thanks,
> >         Dave

Thanks! That worked great! I'll have to eMail RedHat support and tell them how to
do this. They told me that my soundcard is not currently supported!

Thanks again,
    Dave

Post by David » Wed, 24 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> Thanks! That worked great! I'll have to eMail RedHat support and tell
> them how to do this. They told me that my soundcard is not currently
> supported!

When RedHat says something is unsupported, they don't mean the device
can't be made to work work with Linux.  It means that their staff won't
provide tech support for it.

In general, RedHat will only provide support for a piece of hardware
when their techs have had a chance to install the driver, do their own
testing, make an official RPM for it, and release it as part of the
distribution.  Until then, it's "unsupported", even if there are stable
drivers available from another source.

-- David

Post by Devasis Bass » Tue, 30 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> > The sb 512 pci uses the same chipset as the sound blaster live.  To get the
> > drivers, go to sound blasters ftp site and look under "Beta Drivers" for
> > emu101k.tar.gz.  This is a small package that works under specific kernels (dont
> > know which ones right now).  I recently had the same card and got rid of it as I
> > have changed distros and it is designed for specific kernels where I am running
> > an older kernel that is not supported.  If you cannot find the file, let me know
> > and I will email it to you.

> > > Hello all,
> > >         Does anyone know if there is a sound package compatibily with a Sound
> > > Blaster PCI 512?

> > > Thanks,
> > >         Dave

> Thanks! That worked great! I'll have to eMail RedHat support and tell them how to
> do this. They told me that my soundcard is not currently supported!

> Thanks again,
>     Dave

Nice to hear that you got the sound card to work - I also got a PCI512 and am using
RedHat6.1 with the 2.2.10 kernel - downloaded the emu... file and tried but nothing
happened - could you send me a mail alongwith the details of how you got the sound
card to work (with the kernel version and distribution)?

Thanks,
  Devasis

1. Sound blaster PCI128 and Sound blaster live

Hi,
        I am trying to setup linux (rh5.2) on 2 machines currently.
One of the machines has a Soundblaster PCI128 card on it and the other a
Soundblaster Live card.

I tried sndconf on the machine with the PCI128 it did detect it as the ensoniq
sb pci128 card but when it tried to play the sound sample it failed saying

sox: can't open output file /dev/dsp: operation not supported by device

What's the deal?? I tried chmod 666 /dev/dsp to no avail.

As for the SB live card. I have not tried setting up the sound at all.
I keep seeing posts saying that it is as yet unsupported but there was a
message way back in nov or dec 98 that some one had succeded in using the
ensoniq 1370 for it too.

Any help will be appreciated.
                                Arun.
PS: Would appreciate it if anyreplies could be emailed to me at

2. Netscape shares bookmarks among Win98, NT and Linux, possible?

3. Driver Compatibility - Sound Blaster

4. Port 25 Open??

5. Sound Blaster & 3c5x9 compatibility

6. FrontPage Extension on RedHat 6.1 and Apche 1.3.9

7. Merge, Phone Blaster and Sound Blaster

8. RH Linux 4.2 and MindSpring

9. Sound BLaster Live and Graphics Blaster RIVA TNT Drivers

10. Drivers for Creative Labs Sound Blaster and Graphics Blaster RIVA TNT Drivers

11. how to set up a sound blaster 16 sound card and a modem for dial-in

12. CD sound not using sound blaster

13. Sound: Sound Blaster PCI128 - Plse Help!