*ERROR* When accessing CD-ROM drives

Post by spy_ » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 04:00:09

Hi , i'm newbie in linux . i compiled a new kernel for the first time
and all is going right but when i try to access my CD-rom drives i
get this message with dmseg | tail :
" [drm:drm_unlock] *ERROR* Process 3838 using kernel context 0 "
Thanx in advance for your help

Reply ?

Post by Henrik Carlqvis » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 05:41:47

> Hi , i'm newbie in linux . i compiled a new kernel for the first time
> and all is going right but when i try to access my CD-rom drives i
> get this message with dmseg | tail :
> " [drm:drm_unlock] *ERROR* Process 3838 using kernel context 0 "

I guess that you were looking with dmesg because you had some problem when
you tried to access your cdrom. In dmesg you found an error, but that
error is most likely unrelated to your cdrom. Drm is about hardware
accelerated OpenGL (3D). My guess is that process 3838 is your X process
or some game or application trying to use hardware accelerated OpenGL.

What was you problem when you tried to acces your cdrom? How did you try
to access your cdrom?

regards Henrik
hc8(at)uthyres.com Examples of addresses which go to spammers:

*ERROR* When accessing CD-ROM drives

Post by chuckca » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 07:50:34

Quote:

> Hi , i'm newbie in linux . i compiled a new kernel for the first time
> and all is going right but when i try to access my CD-rom drives i
> get this message with dmseg | tail :
> " [drm:drm_unlock] *ERROR* Process 3838 using kernel context 0 "
> Thanx in advance for your help

> Reply ?

Also, what type of connection is the CDROM? internal IDE (virtually all
clones) SCSI or USB or (extremely rare these days) parallel port? You
can also have it off of a sound card such as the SB16 and later.

--
(setq (chuck nil)  car(chuck) )

1. CD-ROM disk changer: error on first access to drive

I've got a problem with my IDE CD-ROM disk changer: the initial access of
the drive fails.  This is on a RedHat v6.0 system running the v2.2.10
kernel on a Celeron CPU.

A different system running the same software (RH60 / 2.2.10) but with a
single-disk IDE CD-ROM driver does not show this problem.  On both systems
the CD-ROM drive is on the IDE1 controller.  As far as I can tell the only
variable is that the problem is seen with a CD disk changer.

The v2.2.10 kernel accurately identifies the drive as:

  hdc: ATAPI 16X CD-ROM changer w/5 slots, 128kB Cache

and elsewhere as:

  hdc: Nakamichi MJ-5.16, ATAPI CDROM drive

After the drive is mounted (no errors seen), I get this error on
the first attempted access:

  kernel: ATAPI device hdc:
  kernel:   Error: Not ready -- (Sense key=0x02)
  kernel:   Logical unit not ready - manual intervention required -- (asc=0x04, ascq=0x03)
  kernel:   The failed "Prevent/Allow Medium Removal" packet command was:
  kernel:   "1e 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 "

Subsequent accesses seem to work correctly.

What can I do to fix/work-around this problem?  Thank you.

***** Steve Snyder *****

2. Problem printing Sunsite Postscript documents...

3. CD-ROM Drive/CD-ROM Bundle

4. deleting pics from a file

5. Linux from Nascent CD-ROM won't mount my panasonic cd-rom drive

6. Genoa video board / Ambra Monitor question

7. cd-rom drive error, isdn error

8. RFC POP

9. CD-ROM Drive Errors w/ Debian Installation - Bootable CD Problem?

10. CD ROM Support For Older Panasonic CD-ROM Drives

11. Unable to access Floppy drive and CD ROM Drive from command line or X

12. Accessing Multiple SCSI CD-ROM drives

13. Accessing CD-ROM drive on NT network