Red Hat 5.1 will not see my ATAPI cd-rom

Red Hat 5.1 will not see my ATAPI cd-rom

Post by Jerry Wels » Mon, 30 Nov 1998 04:00:00

When I attempt an install,even if I use the "linux hdb=cd-rom" command (my
cd-rom is slave on my only IDE connector), the system log shows "<4>hdb: no
response (status = 0xd0)".  The cd-rom runs fine with WIN98 which is also on
the same pc.  I was able to install linux by using the cd-rom driver on the
WIN98 start-up diskette.  The cd-rom is an Acer CD616A which claims to be
E-IDE/ATAPI compliant.   The odd thing is if linux is up or I am attempting
another install, the cd-rom becomes completely inoperative.   That is, it
will not even respond to manual commands.   Any help will be greatly
appreciated.

Red Hat 5.1 will not see my ATAPI cd-rom

Post by Monte Milanu » Mon, 30 Nov 1998 04:00:00

So you are saying that you _can_ get Linux up and running, but cannot access
your CDROM after install.  You might try  hacking /etc/fstab...yes, I know that
you should normally avoid manually editing this file, but sometimes ya gotta do
it.

I would install RedHat with a more or less default install (btw, I had this
problem from 4.0 on up through 5.1.  Haven't installed 5.2 yet, but see no
reason for this to change.)  The default /etc/fstab line lists my CDROM as
'/dev/cdrom' mounted at '/mnt/cdrom'.  The problem is that my CDROM, being on
the secondary master port on my motherboard's EIDE controller is addressed as
/dev/hdc', i.e. primary master = '/dev/hda', primary slave = '/dev/hdb', and
secondary slave = '/dev/hdd', (in this case, my Zip drive).  Change the
'/dev/cdrom' to '/dev/hdx', 'x' being the appropriate IDE port letter for your
system, and you should be o.k.

Hope this helps,

Monte Milanuk

> When I attempt an install,even if I use the "linux hdb=cd-rom" command (my
> cd-rom is slave on my only IDE connector), the system log shows "<4>hdb: no
> response (status = 0xd0)".  The cd-rom runs fine with WIN98 which is also on
> the same pc.  I was able to install linux by using the cd-rom driver on the
> WIN98 start-up diskette.  The cd-rom is an Acer CD616A which claims to be
> E-IDE/ATAPI compliant.   The odd thing is if linux is up or I am attempting
> another install, the cd-rom becomes completely inoperative.   That is, it
> will not even respond to manual commands.   Any help will be greatly
> appreciated.

Red Hat 5.1 will not see my ATAPI cd-rom

Post by Thomas Hedde » Tue, 08 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hello,
I think it would be better to create a symbolic link
so that the desired cdrom mount point points to hdb,
or whatever it's called on your system.
Tom
----------

> So you are saying that you _can_ get Linux up and running, but cannot access
> your CDROM after install.  You might try  hacking /etc/fstab...yes, I know that
> you should normally avoid manually editing this file, but sometimes ya gotta do
> it.

> I would install RedHat with a more or less default install (btw, I had this
> problem from 4.0 on up through 5.1.  Haven't installed 5.2 yet, but see no
> reason for this to change.)  The default /etc/fstab line lists my CDROM as
> '/dev/cdrom' mounted at '/mnt/cdrom'.  The problem is that my CDROM, being on
> the secondary master port on my motherboard's EIDE controller is addressed as
> /dev/hdc', i.e. primary master = '/dev/hda', primary slave = '/dev/hdb', and
> secondary slave = '/dev/hdd', (in this case, my Zip drive).  Change the
> '/dev/cdrom' to '/dev/hdx', 'x' being the appropriate IDE port letter for your
> system, and you should be o.k.

> Hope this helps,

> Monte Milanuk

> > When I attempt an install,even if I use the "linux hdb=cd-rom" command (my
> > cd-rom is slave on my only IDE connector), the system log shows "<4>hdb: no
> > response (status = 0xd0)".  The cd-rom runs fine with WIN98 which is also on
> > the same pc.  I was able to install linux by using the cd-rom driver on the
> > WIN98 start-up diskette.  The cd-rom is an Acer CD616A which claims to be
> > E-IDE/ATAPI compliant.   The odd thing is if linux is up or I am attempting
> > another install, the cd-rom becomes completely inoperative.   That is, it
> > will not even respond to manual commands.   Any help will be greatly
> > appreciated.

1. Need help getting Red Hat 5.1 to see my SCSI CD-ROM

I have an IBM PC 350 where I need to install Linux. The system uses an
Options by IBM ISA SCSI controler (rebaged Future Domain 16x0) to
support 1 hard drive and the CD-ROM.

When I boot the install disk and select "local CD-ROM" install method, I
can't get linux to see the CD-ROM.  I select to specify the options,
supply the IO port, IRQ and bios base address.  I see activity on the
CD-ROM drive and then get an error message.

The error states that the mount for /dev/scd0 failed and a block device
is required. I could sure use some help getting the propper incantation
for this controler/CD-ROM.

I registered my copy of Red Hat 5.1 and opened a problem ticket on the
Red Hat web page, but that has been over two weeks and still no
response.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Les.

  vcard.vcf
< 1K Download

2. bk current build failures (xfrm.h / tpqic02.c)

3. COMMERCIAL: Red Hat 5.1 CD-ROM $1.95

4. - MuLinux! -

5. Back Pack cd-rom problem On Red hat 5.1

6. network install -- dumb questions

7. red hat 5.1 and scsi cd-rom

8. Looking for kernel-headers-2.4.16-0.4.rpm

9. Red Hat 5.1 and Backpack CD-ROM Trouble

10. Red Hat Linux 5.1 and Sony CDU 711 CD-ROM Drive

11. Cannot get CD-ROM to be seen by Red Hat 5.2 at install

12. Red Hat 3.0.3, ATAPI CD-ROM woes

13. Red Hat lilo problem with ATAPI CD-ROM and SCSI disk