Can you install Linux on a Microchannel (MCA) machine?

Post by Daniel Stephen Buettn » Fri, 08 Aug 1997 04:00:00

>  I have an IBM Model 80 microchannel machine that I want to install Linux
> on. I was wondering if there was a distrabution out there that supports
> microchannel.

Yes you can.  I've done it myself (fortunately a SCSI system--much easier
that way).

check out
http://glycerine.cetmm.uni.edu/mca/

That page contains a couple of disk images that you need to boot the system
as "normal" boot disks won't work.  Once you have it booted you can install
normally with slackware or whatever distribution you want.  I didn't have a
CD-ROM so i got to do a floppy-install (not much fun).

Good luck
--
Daniel

Post by Ken McCor » Mon, 11 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> check out
> http://glycerine.cetmm.uni.edu/mca/

> Daniel

Glycerine seems to have been down for while...anyone know what's up??

Ken

1. Can you install Linux on a Microchannel (MCA) machine?

:  I have an IBM Model 80 microchannel machine that I want to install Linux
: on. I was wondering if there was a distrabution out there that supports
: microchannel.

Debian 1.3.1 comes with MCA support turned on in the kernel.  If it's
an SCSI system there is a good chance you can get it running without
recompiling your own kernel.  If you do, make sure to post your
success story to linux.debian.user.  If not, mail me a description
on how it failed.

Brian S. Julin

2. take input from a file

3. MCA Linux (Linux for PS/2 Microchannel)

4. High resolution GFX card for Ultra 5 or 10 ?

5. Kernel 2.4.9 out already !

6. Easiest way to install Linux on MicroChannel machine?

7. Printing to JetDirect printer

8. linux 2.0.29 on microchannel (MCA) ps2/77 makes great PC appliance

9. installing OpenLinux from CDROM on Microchannel machine

10. Kernal Panic Error Installing RH6.0 IBM PS/2 77 MCA Machine

11. Have win2000 installed machine how do I install linux on same machine

12. Linux does work on microchannel machines!