DigiBoard PC/Xe in Kernel 2.0.0

Post by Terry Letsc » Sun, 22 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Has somebody been able to successfully get a Digi PC/Xe going under
kernel 2.0.0? I am a little bit confused between the docs that come with
the kernel and the driver supplied by digi for Linux.

What do I need from digi if I compile 2.0.0 with support for the digi
enabled and I have the correct append line for lilo? Do I still need to
load epca as a module? If so, how do I compile so that I don't get the
annoying error of "kernel_version needed, but can't be found ". I
compiled it with modversions turned on.

I take it that with the newer kernel I DON'T want to apply digi's patch
since then I can't get the kernel to compile (it bombs out on
drivers/char while doing the digi stuff, surprise surprise)?

Any pointers on doing this would be appreciated.

THanks.

Terry Letsche

[...]

Post by Daniel A. Tayl » Wed, 25 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Reposting article removed by rogue canceller.

>Has somebody been able to successfully get a Digi PC/Xe going under
>kernel 2.0.0? I am a little bit confused between the docs that come with
>the kernel and the driver supplied by digi for Linux.

These are completely seperate drivers right now, we are working
on combining them. If you are running a new style Xe you want to use
the 1.0.1a driver from ftp.dgii.com/drivers/beta/linux/. For the older
Xe's and the Xi's use the kernel driver for now.

Quote:>What do I need from digi if I compile 2.0.0 with support for the digi
>enabled and I have the correct append line for lilo? Do I still need to
>load epca as a module? If so, how do I compile so that I don't get the
>annoying error of "kernel_version needed, but can't be found ". I
>compiled it with modversions turned on.

You should not load the current version of epca as a module,
or at all if you have the PC/Xx support compiled in.

Quote:>I take it that with the newer kernel I DON'T want to apply digi's patch
>since then I can't get the kernel to compile (it bombs out on
>drivers/char while doing the digi stuff, surprise surprise)?

This is correct, 2 seperate drivers.

--
Daniel Taylor

1. DigiBoard PC/Xe, PC/Xi Driver!

Fellow Linuxers,

Regarding the Linux DigiBoard Intelligent Serial Board Driver for the
PC/Xe and PC/Xi line of products (no, this does not include the PC/Xem.
That's a different product line), I have revamped the driver so that
it acts just like the normal serial driver.  I originally wrote the
driver so that the ttyD* devices were modem control devices and the
ttyd* devices were the non-modem control devices.  However, due to
confusion by users and a few other problems posed by inconsistencies
between my driver and the regular serial driver, I decided to change
it.  This should basically make it much easier to use.  Now, the
ttyd1 device will act like ttyS0, and ttyD1 will act like cua0,
except that ttyd1 and ttyD1 will be accessing an intelligent device
with fairly large receive and transmit buffers.  :-)

I have bumped the version number up to 1.4 on the driver (pcxe.c is
the only file that has changed for now, although the README-type stuff
will have to change later).  If any of you already have the DigiBoard
driver and want to slap the pcxe.c file over top of your current one
to test the newest version, let me know, and I'll email it to you.  I'll
be working on testing it this week--with anyone who would like to test
it--and will be fixing any reported bugs.  I have already tested
dialin and dialout, and everything seems to work fine, but I would
be grateful for any volunteers willing to test PPP or SLIP.  :-)
Thanks.

     -Troy

--

2. Can't Log in After a fsck! RH6.2

3. glibc on Slackware 3.1(96)

4. DigiBoard PC/Xe and PC/Xi Driver!

5. dtlogin does not come up after install of sol10 sparc/b69

6. Digiboard PC/Xe ??

8. DigiBoard PC/Xe Woes on Linux 2.0.21

9. Digiboard PC/Xe and rehat 5.0

10. DigiBoard PC/Xe Drivers V1.4 Pls

11. Telebit T2500 and Digiboard PC/Xe on ODT 2.0

12. Digiboard PC/Xe problems