Iomega Zip speed ?

Post by Radovan Bra » Tue, 22 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Hi everyone.

So I've installed parallel port Iomega Zip, no problem (once
I'd run depmod), and now I'd like to hear some opinions about
the speed. So: what kind od read/write speed I should expect (in
kB/s) ? How much is it different for parallel port vs. SCSI
model ? Any truth in "20 x faster than a floppy" label on the
disk box ? Does it differ for various parallel ports ? Under
Linux vs. DOS/Windows ? (Haven't tried the latter.) Under Linux,
mounted as ext2fs vs. DOS fs ? Any opinions about reliability ?
Thanks in advance.

      R. Brako

Iomega Zip speed ?

Post by Byron A Je » Tue, 22 Jul 1997 04:00:00

-Hi everyone.
-
-So I've installed parallel port Iomega Zip, no problem (once
-I'd run depmod), and now I'd like to hear some opinions about
-the speed. So: what kind od read/write speed I should expect (in
-kB/s) ?

With the standard parallel port driver expect speeds along the lines of
1Mbyte/minute.

On the Enhanced Parallel Port (EPP) with the Curtin driver I've seen
a 10x improvment (10MB/min) using the same machine, ZIP drive, and port.
Just changed the driver.

I have a SCSI ZIP. Generally I get between 20 and 25 x the performance of
the standard parallel ZIP drive (i.e. 24-25 Mbytes/minute transfer rate)

 How much is it different for parallel port vs. SCSI
-model ? Any truth in "20 x faster than a floppy" label on the
-disk box ?

It's faster than a floppy. Snails are faster than floppies.

-  Does it differ for various parallel ports ?

Yup. EPP ports give a definite advantage. Enough of one that I'm wondering
if a EPP parallel port PCMCIA card exists so that I can use it when I
get around to buying a parallel port ZIP drive.

- Under Linux vs. DOS/Windows ?

My understanding is that DOS/Windows has a highly optimized EPP driver than
can approach the SCSI ZIP speeds.

- (Haven't tried the latter.) Under Linux,
-mounted as ext2fs vs. DOS fs ?

Only the filesystem speed matters then. ext2 is much faster than DOS FAT.

- Any opinions about reliability ?

Never had one fail. Doesn't really help though.

BAJ
--
Another random extraction from the mental bit stream of...
Byron A. Jeff - PhD student operating in parallel - And Using Linux!

Iomega Zip speed ?

Post by Radovan Bra » Wed, 23 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>- ...
>- So: what kind od read/write speed I should expect (in
>-kB/s) ?

>With the standard parallel port driver expect speeds along the lines of
>1Mbyte/minute.

   I was getting around 2 MB/min, and it just didn't seem enough, so
   I asked ...

Quote:>On the Enhanced Parallel Port (EPP) with the Curtin driver I've seen
>a 10x improvment (10MB/min) using the same machine, ZIP drive, and port.
>Just changed the driver.

   Any idea if the parallel port on a 2 years old 486 motherboard will
   be EPP ? And how to see if it is ? I saw no mention of Curtin driver
   in the ZIP-related mini-HOWTO-s (a couple of months old though),
   where can it be found ?

Quote:>I have a SCSI ZIP. Generally I get between 20 and 25 x the performance of
>the standard parallel ZIP drive (i.e. 24-25 Mbytes/minute transfer rate)

   Yep, I now realize that they are not exactly the same thing ...

Quote:> ...

   Thank you, that was really a nice answer to my post.

      RB

>BAJ
>--
>Another random extraction from the mental bit stream of...
>Byron A. Jeff - PhD student operating in parallel - And Using Linux!

Iomega Zip speed ?

Post by Mike Fris » Wed, 23 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>   I was getting around 2 MB/min, and it just didn't seem enough, so
>   I asked ...

2 MB/min is correct for a regular parallel port and it should be faster
over ECP/EPP (if the Linux Zip driver supports this).  1 MB/min is just
plain broken...

Quote:>   Any idea if the parallel port on a 2 years old 486 motherboard will
>   be EPP ? And how to see if it is ? I saw no mention of Curtin driver

I highly doubt it...  If there are no options for the parallel port in the
CMOS setup, consider it to be a regular parallel port.

Quote:>   in the ZIP-related mini-HOWTO-s (a couple of months old though),
>   where can it be found ?

Mike.

Northstar Technologies      WWW: http://mfrisch.rogerswave.ca/~mfrisch
Newmarket, Ontario, Canada          Reseller of SCSI/video/etc cabling

Iomega Zip speed ?

Post by Frank Sweetse » Wed, 23 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> >- ...
> >- So: what kind od read/write speed I should expect (in
> >-kB/s) ?

> >With the standard parallel port driver expect speeds along the lines of
> >1Mbyte/minute.

>    I was getting around 2 MB/min, and it just didn't seem enough, so
>    I asked ...

> >On the Enhanced Parallel Port (EPP) with the Curtin driver I've seen
> >a 10x improvment (10MB/min) using the same machine, ZIP drive, and port.
> >Just changed the driver.

>    Any idea if the parallel port on a 2 years old 486 motherboard will
>    be EPP ? And how to see if it is ? I saw no mention of Curtin driver
>    in the ZIP-related mini-HOWTO-s (a couple of months old though),
>    where can it be found ?

I've got a copy of it at ftp://arf.wpi.edu/pub/ppa.tgz
Tried it out on a vanilla parallel port, and got a 2X increase right off.

--
Windows: I can play Doom!              |RedHat Linux 2.0.31pre-2 i486
Linux: I can be a file server, be a Web|Because reboots are for upgrades!

Iomega Zip speed ?

Post by Radovan Bra » Thu, 24 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>>   Any idea if the parallel port on a 2 years old 486 motherboard will
>>   be EPP ? And how to see if it is ?

>I highly doubt it...  If there are no options for the parallel port in the
>CMOS setup, consider it to be a regular parallel port.

   In fact it is :) I found "Onboard parallel mode:" with the choices
   of "EPP", "ECP", and "ECP/EPP" in the CMOS setup. Now I'll try to
   compile Campbell's Curtin driver as a module, hope it will work ...

   Thanks to everybody who responded. To resume, running parallel port
   ZIP drive on the old ppa driver doesn't seem a good idea, as there
   is a severe performance penalty, a factor of 10 or larger compared
   to the SCSI version and close to that on Enhanced Parallel Ports
   (which are now standard) and drivers written for them, i.e. Win/DOS
   or Curtin driver for Linux. (This last may still be somewhat
   experimental, I'll see if it works for me ...) Pity this hasn't made
   its way into ZIP-Drive mini-HOWTO and into the stable kernel tree yet.

      R. Brako

1. Iomega ZIP parallel zip drive under red hat linux 6.0 problem solved

Thanks to all that sent me suggestions on how to get the $%(#!! thing
working.  Help, particularly the free kind, is always appreciated.

Success came when, contrary to what the FAQ implies, I discovered that
a parallel port zip drive is not ALWAYS /dev/sda4.

On my computer it happened to be /dev/sdc4 -- maybe that's because I
have 3 SCSI adapters in it and a handful of SCSI hard drives and peripherals.
I dunno.

So if you're ready to take a chainsaw to your spiffy new ZIP drive because
you've done
  $ insmod parport
  $ insmod ppa
  $ mount -t vfat /dev/sda4 /zipdrive
and all the damn thing says back to you is
    mount: /dev/sda4 is not a valid block device
try /dev/somethingelse, in particular /dev/sdb4, /dev/sdc4, and so on.

--
Phil Geiger

2. question about rstat and statstime

3. Iomega SCSI Zip drive and Zip Zoom card

4. Don't want to see "Killed"

5. Iomega Ditto High Speed/Capacity Tape Drives

6. Font DPI & Screen Resolution

7. Redhat linux and Iomega Zip 250

8. trying to print to networked HP

9. IOMEGA Zip-drive