Parallel Zip Drive Problem

Post by Shawn Kubi » Sat, 12 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I recently compiled the 2.2.13 kernel for Linux, upgrading from 2.0.36 from
my Redhat 5.2 distribution. Under 2.0.36, my Zip drive worked fine, but now
under 2.2.13, I can't get Linux to recognize it.
I followed the steps outlined in the Zip Drive Mini-HOWTO, but now whenever
I boot Linux I get this message:

"the kernel does not recognize /dev/sda4 as a block device."

As a result, I cannot access my zip drive. Even when I go in and manually do
an 'insmod ppa', it says that the device is busy! My parallel port is
compiled as a module, so I _am_ doing 'insmod parport' beforehand, but it
still won't take it.

I'm really stuck here and would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

Shawn Kubik.

Parallel Zip Drive Problem

Post by Peter Tselio » Sat, 12 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Probably a sily question, but did you changed the BIOS Settings? If so, try
the EPP or SPP settings for parport.
Silly question 2: Did you compiled the kernel with scsi support?
Did you changed the modules.config in order to activate scsi support?

Cheers,
Peter Tselios

Quote:>I recently compiled the 2.2.13 kernel for Linux, upgrading from 2.0.36 from
>my Redhat 5.2 distribution. Under 2.0.36, my Zip drive worked fine, but now
>under 2.2.13, I can't get Linux to recognize it.
>I followed the steps outlined in the Zip Drive Mini-HOWTO, but now whenever
>I boot Linux I get this message:

>"the kernel does not recognize /dev/sda4 as a block device."

>As a result, I cannot access my zip drive. Even when I go in and manually
do
>an 'insmod ppa', it says that the device is busy! My parallel port is
>compiled as a module, so I _am_ doing 'insmod parport' beforehand, but it
>still won't take it.

>I'm really stuck here and would appreciate any suggestions.

>Thanks,

>Shawn Kubik.

Parallel Zip Drive Problem

Post by Lion » Sat, 12 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>I recently compiled the 2.2.13 kernel for Linux, upgrading from 2.0.36 from
>my Redhat 5.2 distribution. Under 2.0.36, my Zip drive worked fine, but now
>under 2.2.13, I can't get Linux to recognize it.
>I followed the steps outlined in the Zip Drive Mini-HOWTO, but now whenever
>I boot Linux I get this message:

>"the kernel does not recognize /dev/sda4 as a block device."

>As a result, I cannot access my zip drive. Even when I go in and manually do
>an 'insmod ppa', it says that the device is busy! My parallel port is
>compiled as a module, so I _am_ doing 'insmod parport' beforehand, but it
>still won't take it.

>I'm really stuck here and would appreciate any suggestions.

I've seen numerous postings saying exactly the same thing, and I'm also
having the same problems :( It seems that nobody knows a solution. I'm
getting exactly the same problems as you, and it's frustrating, as the
Zip drive is the only means I have of transferring data to my linux box!

--
Lion

Parallel Zip Drive Problem

Post by Glitc » Sat, 12 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Do you have in the kernel config under I think its the parallel port
driver the option called "pc style hardware" checked? Mine wasn't
checked and i was getting the device busy error. Someone posted a
message on here concerning the zip drive and mentioned that. I tried it
on my system and it worked fine.

Quote: