Microstar 6167 m.b. for AMD Athlon -- experiences??

Microstar 6167 m.b. for AMD Athlon -- experiences??

Post by Einar Magnus R?ber » Sun, 19 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hi!

Anyone got any experiences with this mainboard? (With either Linux or
Win98).

Check out <URL:http://www.msi.com.tw/>,
if you go to the Taiwanese site you can dig up some info at
<URL:http://209.249.33.6/technical/tech_document/data-downloads/6167.htm>

Does this card work well with Linux?

I find it a bit worrying (or whatever) that the board's barely mentioned
at all on the Microstar website... I'm afraid I'll have a board with no
BIOS updates to (and no support to) in half a year or so.
Is this a real concern?
Why doesn't MSI brag about this board more publicly? It does seem like
an excellent motherboard, doesn't it?

Thanks,
Einar

Microstar 6167 m.b. for AMD Athlon -- experiences??

Post by Tom Hoffman » Sun, 19 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I am looking at setting up a system based on this motherboard/chip
combination myself.  From reading the posts in this newsgroup over the
last month, other persons going with the Athlon chip have recommended
the ASUS, MSI-6167, or GB motherboards.   They advised staying away from
the FIC SD-11.  I know that SUnset Systems, a Linux system vendor based
in AZ used the MSI motherboard in their Athlon systems.

I too was a bit confused when I could not even find any mention of the
6167 on the MSI web site, but I think you should be all right.

> Hi!

> Anyone got any experiences with this mainboard? (With either Linux or
> Win98).

> Check out <URL:http://www.msi.com.tw/>,
> if you go to the Taiwanese site you can dig up some info at
> <URL:http://209.249.33.6/technical/tech_document/data-downloads/6167.htm>

> Does this card work well with Linux?

> I find it a bit worrying (or whatever) that the board's barely mentioned
> at all on the Microstar website... I'm afraid I'll have a board with no
> BIOS updates to (and no support to) in half a year or so.
> Is this a real concern?
> Why doesn't MSI brag about this board more publicly? It does seem like
> an excellent motherboard, doesn't it?

> Thanks,
> Einar

Microstar 6167 m.b. for AMD Athlon -- experiences??

Post by Mark » Mon, 20 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm using the 6167 with Mandrake 6.1 and Win 98.  This is a good board.  AMD
seems to be keeping on top of driver updates for Windows.  I haven't seen
any linux specific drivers for the MB, but I haven't had reason to look.
It's worked like a charm with Mandrake since day one.  I am a little
concerned about the absence of information about this board on MicroStar's
site.  I spoke with a MicroStar CS rep, and I was told that she didn't
really know why they didn't have any information on the web site.  Also, she
said that they USED to be able to send interested parties information on the
6167 via fax, but was told by management not to do that anymore.  She didn't
have good answer for that either.  I tried to contact AMD regarding this
situation, but I haven't received a response as yet.  It's really very
strange!  If you take a look at the web sites of all of the manufacturers
who make Athlon MBs, only two have any pre-sales information on their sites,
FIC ( I will NEVER buy another VIA based board)and BioStar.  I don't know -
I've heard rumors of a large processor manufacturer who shall remain
nameless (INTEL), threatening mysterious shortages of chipsets to companies
making Athlon boards.  It doesn't sound that far fetched to me.  If anyone
knows what's going on I'd be very interested to hear.

Mark

> I am looking at setting up a system based on this motherboard/chip
> combination myself.  From reading the posts in this newsgroup over the
> last month, other persons going with the Athlon chip have recommended
> the ASUS, MSI-6167, or GB motherboards.   They advised staying away from
> the FIC SD-11.  I know that SUnset Systems, a Linux system vendor based
> in AZ used the MSI motherboard in their Athlon systems.

> I too was a bit confused when I could not even find any mention of the
> 6167 on the MSI web site, but I think you should be all right.

> > Hi!

> > Anyone got any experiences with this mainboard? (With either Linux or
> > Win98).

> > Check out <URL:http://www.msi.com.tw/>,
> > if you go to the Taiwanese site you can dig up some info at

<URL:http://209.249.33.6/technical/tech_document/data-downloads/6167.htm>

Quote:

Post by Einar Magnus R?ber » Mon, 20 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I'm using the 6167 with Mandrake 6.1 and Win 98.  This is a good board.  AMD
> seems to be keeping on top of driver updates for Windows.  I haven't seen
> any linux specific drivers for the MB, but I haven't had reason to look.
> It's worked like a charm with Mandrake since day one.  I am a little
> concerned about the absence of information about this board on MicroStar's
> site.  I spoke with a MicroStar CS rep, and I was told that she didn't
> really know why they didn't have any information on the web site.  Also, she
> said that they USED to be able to send interested parties information on the
> 6167 via fax, but was told by management not to do that anymore.  She didn't
> have good answer for that either.  I tried to contact AMD regarding this
> situation, but I haven't received a response as yet.  It's really very
> strange!  If you take a look at the web sites of all of the manufacturers
> who make Athlon MBs, only two have any pre-sales information on their sites,
> FIC ( I will NEVER buy another VIA based board)and BioStar.

I've had a quick look at the Gigabyte board, there is a webpage on it at
<URL:http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/gigabyte-web/products/ga7ix.htm>

At least Gigabyte has got BIOS updates, an FAQ and a User's manual available on
the web -- it doesn't seem like Microstar has got this.

I  think I'll be going for the Gigabyte board if it's the same price as the MSI
board (or cheaper).

-Einar

Post by Matt Garm » Tue, 21 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> strange!  If you take a look at the web sites of all of the manufacturers
> who make Athlon MBs, only two have any pre-sales information on their sites,
> FIC ( I will NEVER buy another VIA based board)and BioStar.  I don't know -
> I've heard rumors of a large processor manufacturer who shall remain
> nameless (INTEL), threatening mysterious shortages of chipsets to companies
> making Athlon boards.  It doesn't sound that far fetched to me.  If anyone

If that's true, then it seems as though Intel is sinking to
Microsoft-esque business practices.  And oh how that benefits everyone.

Anyway, I'm sure nobody except a few select suits knows for sure what's
going on with the Athlon motherboard situation.  But it's completely
feasable to me that Intel is playing dirty because AMD has a better
processor out.  It's all too fishy -- you'd think more than four
motherboard manufacturers would jump on the Athlon.

<shrug>  I just find it frustrating that there's a great processor
available, but a miniscule number of motherboards available for it, and
half of those motherboards are only "pseudo" supported.

MG

--

"And through the window in the wall
 Come streaming in on sunlight wings

Microstar 6167 m.b. for AMD Athlon -- experiences??

Post by Oliver B. Warzech » Tue, 21 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Anyone got any experiences with this mainboard? (With either Linux or
> Win98).

Yes, we have 11 of them here at the uni with 500 MHz CPUs, and they
are running like hell. :) OS is of course Linux, base SuSE 6.2,
with custom compiled 2.2.13 kernel.

Quote:> Does this card work well with Linux?

It seems so. All systems are equipped with a 15.2 GB IBM DJNA, DMA
mode operation is set on, no problems and 14+ MB/s throughput as told
by hdparm. It's a fine board, we had no problems to get the systems
up and running.

Quote:> Why doesn't MSI brag about this board more publicly? It does seem like
> an excellent motherboard, doesn't it?

There is a rumor going on, that Intel is putting pressure on the
motherboard facturers. I have yet to see any substantial evidence
for this rumor, but the plot thickens.

OBW

Microstar 6167 m.b. for AMD Athlon -- experiences??

Post by Mark » Tue, 21 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Further to the topics discussed in this thread, here's an article with some
interesting Athlon information.

http://www.realworldtech.com/news/Industry/December-Update-1.cfm

Mark

> > Anyone got any experiences with this mainboard? (With either Linux or
> > Win98).

> Yes, we have 11 of them here at the uni with 500 MHz CPUs, and they
> are running like hell. :) OS is of course Linux, base SuSE 6.2,
> with custom compiled 2.2.13 kernel.

> > Does this card work well with Linux?

> It seems so. All systems are equipped with a 15.2 GB IBM DJNA, DMA
> mode operation is set on, no problems and 14+ MB/s throughput as told
> by hdparm. It's a fine board, we had no problems to get the systems
> up and running.

> > Why doesn't MSI brag about this board more publicly? It does seem like
> > an excellent motherboard, doesn't it?

> There is a rumor going on, that Intel is putting pressure on the
> motherboard facturers. I have yet to see any substantial evidence
> for this rumor, but the plot thickens.

> OBW

1. Amd Athlon with MB MSI 6167 and Linux

I have problems with my new athlon based system.
After the installation of Linux mandrake 6.1, during the boot phase, it
dumps out the registers and hangs up.
I found no way to boot it.
I own an Amd Athlon 500 with MSI6167 MB, Matrox G400 DH 32Mb card and
Quantum fireball 13.5 GB UDMA66 HD.

I also tried with Suse 6.3 but I had the same problem.

Anyone can help ?
Thank you

2. MutilOS on a computer.

3. MS-6167 K7 motherboard: any good?

4. Having TROUBLE with Cirrus Logic CARD

5. AMD Duron & Microstar M/B

6. ADSL modem doesn't get any packet

7. Athlon can't see more than 64 MB..

8. Process to replace NIC on RH6.0

9. kernel problem with Athlon on Asus A7A266 MB

10. Athlon MB w/ PCI-X?

11. Athlon 800 with AZZA MB Problems

12. 2.3xx, 2.4xx with Athlon on Asus K7M mb

13. Experience with Gigabyte K8NF-9 Mobo (Athlon 64 3200+ Venice core CPU?