PANIC: SCSI chain works under DOS only!!??

PANIC: SCSI chain works under DOS only!!??

Post by Christian_Gol » Thu, 23 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Dear everybody,

I recently added a Conner CFP1060S as last external scsi drive to my
chain which otherwise consists of an internal Fujitsu M2684S-512 and
an ext. Nakamichi MBR-/.4 CD-ROM changer. Controller is a S1365-x01-0x
PCI SCSI controller with a NCR53C825 with on board BIOS.
IDs, parity and termination are ok and the thing works perfectly under
DOS, but under Linux I get kernel panic cause the Fujitsu, which till
now contains the whole Linux fs, isn't recognised anymore:
scsi0: unexpected pahse unknown at dsp=...
DANGER: abort_connected() called
DMA FIFO not empty.
After that, the Nakamichi and Conner get recognised alright, but
obviously, root cannot be mounted...
I tried putting a second SCSI-controller board into the 2. PCI-slot

finish, i.e. I don't even get as far as LILO.

What can I do?
Any hints greatly appreciated (Linux kernel 1.2.6),

Christian Goltz

PANIC: SCSI chain works under DOS only!!??

Post by Leonard N. Zubkof » Tue, 28 Nov 1995 04:00:00

  I recently saw a query about Net Express (URL: http://www.tdl.com/~netex),
  but I haven't seen any responses. Has anybody here dealt with them.  What
  have your experiences been?

I purchased my most recent motherboard and CPU upgrade from them, and was
100% pleased with the service I received.  Definitely recommended.

                Leonard

--
        Mark of the Valley of Roses

Post by James W. Bennet » Wed, 29 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>   I recently saw a query about Net Express (URL: http://www.tdl.com/~netex),
>   but I haven't seen any responses. Has anybody here dealt with them.  What
>   have your experiences been?

I have purchased 3 Pentium systems from NetEx. I am preparing to purchase systems
4-6. I can not say enough good things abount Roland and crew.

--
Jim Bennett

Post by David F » Thu, 30 Nov 1995 04:00:00

] I recently saw a query about Net Express (URL: http://www.tdl.com/~netex),
] but I haven't seen any responses. Has anybody here dealt with them.  What
] have your experiences been?

Highly recommended.
--
David Fox          http://found.cs.nyu.edu/fox          xoF divaD
NYU Media Research Lab                     baL hcraeseR aideM UYN

1. scsi IDs order in scsi chain

Hi,

I have 3 drives and a tapedrive on a SCSI controller and need to add a RAID
drive.  My drives can take only IDs 1,2,3,4,5,6.  My tapedrive has been ID 4
and can be switched only in 1-7 range.  Before now, I had my 3 drives
occupiing IDs 1,2,3 and tapedrive ID 4.  For reason of space availability and
length of cables, I need to put the RAID between the tapedrive and the
storage array.  So I gave it ID 6.

In this configuration, I have problemaccessing my tapedrive. I can call
"mt -f /dev/rmt/0 rewind" and see the tapdrive responding, but the operation
never completes.  In addition, my RAID array is not configured yet and
generates lots of "saf" error messages.

Is is this because I created a chain with ID order 1,2,3,6,4?

What do I do in order to change special device files for the tapedrive
to have it on a different SCSI ID?

I run Solaris 7 on Ultra 1.

Thank you. David.

David Zlotchenko
Sr. Systems Analyst            Phone: (01) (423) 974-6601

University of Tennessee        WWW: http://www.oars.utk.edu/~zlotchen

2. Diamond Stealth 3D 2000

3. Any experience of external scsi 250MB zip *not* at end of scsi-2 chain?

4. Getting directories at a certain depth

5. Panic on Solaris: Deadlock condition detected: cycle in blocking chain

6. Ethernet packet checksum

7. PANIC!! SCSI II doesn't work

8. Workflow management packages on Linux ?

9. IWILL SCSI card - Kernel panic, I panic:-)

10. A Chain here, A Chain There...

11. Logical drive chain is incompatible with Dos

12. SCSI disk works under DOS hangs under Linux

13. SCSI works in DOS, not Linux