Sound : varying input & output

Post by Thomas Vander Stiche » Tue, 28 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

we are having a problem with our Linux Sound Card.  Or rather, a question.
Now, on a Win95 PC, it is possible to use an SB AWE 64 so that the input
and output devices can be used separately.  So you could encode the input
with a program and play a sound file with another program.  This works
without problems.

In Linux, however, we haven't found a way to do this, since there is only
one /dev/audio for each card.
What we would like to do is use the input to capture a live signal which
is encoded with a RealAudio encoder, and use the output to play mp3 files
which can be used as a backup-system for when the live transmission fails.
The output from the soundcard would then go to the input and get encoded.

Is there anyone who knows how to accomplish this in Linux ?

Thanks in advance,

Thomas

Sound : varying input & output

Post by Thomas Vander Stiche » Thu, 30 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Does anyone know how you can use /dev/audio to split input and output, so
that you can play sound from your output while still encoding the input
signal with realaudio ?

Also, can anyone confirm if it is possible to install two SBAWE64's in the
same Linux computer and use them both at the same time for different tasks
?

Thomas