networked Xerox DocumentCenter 470ST

Post by Mack » Tue, 24 Jan 2006 23:41:34

Hello everyone,

I am trying to print to my department's main networked printer, a Xerox

Document Center 470ST, from my Linux laptop. My problem is that the
IT department "naturally" doesn't support Linux and won't even tell me
how everything is configured...

The only information I have is:

- when I send a print job from my Windows machine, the printed pages
show up under a cover sheet which has my Windows/Novell username
written across it in big letters

- going to the Windows control panel of a computer which can print to
the Xerox, selecting this printer, "Properties" and then "Ports" shows
that it is "talking" to the printer over "Standard TCP/IP Protocol" to
the address 128.122.182.248 on port 9100. The selected protocol is
"raw" (rather than "LPR").

Does this mean that this is a Windows printer and I should be using
Samba? Or that it is using Novell? (If so, can I still use CUPS?) I
tried configuring CUPS to send jobs over either IPP or LPR to
socket://128.122.182.248:9100 using the recommended PPD for the
Document Center 400
(http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Xerox-Document_C...)
 but always get an "server-error-internal-error" message.

The /var/log/cups/error_log file is filled with nothing but

E [24/Oct/2005:13:37:25 -0400] AddCert: Unable to create certificate
file /etc/cups/certs/0 - File exists

I would be really grateful for any guidance.

Best

Mack

Post by Lenar » Wed, 25 Jan 2006 01:38:11

> Does this mean that this is a Windows printer and I should be using
> Samba? Or that it is using Novell? (If so, can I still use CUPS?) I
> tried configuring CUPS to send jobs over either IPP or LPR to
> socket://128.122.182.248:9100 using the recommended PPD for the
> Document Center 400
> (http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Xerox-Document_C...)
>  but always get an "server-error-internal-error" message.

Try configuring CUPS for JetDirect.

--
"A personal computer is called a personal computer because it's yours,
Anything that runs on that computer, you should have control over."

Post by John-Paul Stewar » Wed, 25 Jan 2006 04:53:17

> Hello everyone,

> I am trying to print to my department's main networked printer, a Xerox

> Document Center 470ST, from my Linux laptop. My problem is that the
> IT department "naturally" doesn't support Linux and won't even tell me
> how everything is configured...
[snip]
> The /var/log/cups/error_log file is filled with nothing but

> E [24/Oct/2005:13:37:25 -0400] AddCert: Unable to create certificate
> file /etc/cups/certs/0 - File exists

This suggests to me that the problem may be with CUPS itself, rather
than anything to do with that specific printer model.  You need to work
out the CUPS configuration problem first.  What happens if you remove
the file /etc/cups/certs/0?  (Rename it, rather than delete it so that
you can put it back later.)  What does 'ls -l /etc/cups/certs/0' show?

p.s.  In future, do *not* multi-post the same question to multiple
newsgroups.  If you must send a post to more than one group, do so by
cross-posting (putting all groups on one "Newgroup:" line).  When doing
so it is best to set follow-ups to one group, too.

For more information about cross-posting vs. multi-posting, see RFC 1855
"Netiquette Guidelines".

networked Xerox DocumentCenter 470ST

Post by Dave Stanto » Wed, 25 Jan 2006 15:35:29

Quote:> Does this mean that this is a Windows printer and I should be using
> Samba? Or that it is using Novell? (If so, can I still use CUPS?) I
> tried configuring CUPS to send jobs over either IPP or LPR to
> socket://128.122.182.248:9100 using the recommended PPD for the
> Document Center 400

No, it means its using standard ethernet. Have you tried pinging the
printers IP address to see if it responds ?. CUPS has a facility to search
for network printers, have you tried that? sometimes it works, sometimes
it does'nt <g>.

Dave

1. Xerox Network Systems (XNS) protocols: anybody using them?

I am using XNS to talk to an old InterLan terminal server from a
386BSD box. Has anybody used or have info on these protocols?
Better send me email as few people would be interested in this.

Thanks

**vp

-----------------------------------

Thoukididou 10A       |   old style address:
Plaka, Athens 105 58  |       ...!mcvax!ariadne!vp
GREECE                |
Tel. +30 1 32 32 867  |   FAX +30 1 72 24 603

2. TCP Sequence Number Prediction

3. Xerox network plotter

4. Wangtek 5150EQ doesn't work under linux-2.1.1

5. Xerox Network printer problem

6. master.passwd and passwd files transferred

7. Fuji Xerox Docucentre 350 as N/W Printer on solaris 2.6

8. Linux HOWTO Index (part 1/1)

9. Xerox Wokcentre 450c device driver

10. nroff problems with Xerox 4045

11. Apache and Xerox Docushare

12. Xerox WorkCentre XD 102 on Linux

13. Xerox GlobalView on Solaris 2.4 and 2.5 --- Experience?