Sound VIBRA16 problem with CDs

Post by Romek Piter » Thu, 13 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I wonder if perhaps there's anyone out there who would be willing to
advise me on the following problem. I've been trying to configure sound,
and got to the stage when I'm able to play *.wav files, but unable to play
audio CDs. Attempting to play CDs results in intermittent crackling
sounds only through speakers, whilst at the same time one can listen to
the music using headphones plugged directly into the CD-ROM. This CD-ROM
works perfectly well under Win95 on the same box. Here are some details:

H/W:
VIBRA16 chip on P6-LX-A motherboard (from ECS)
CRD-8240B  ATAPI CD-ROM

OS:
Slackware 7.0 (kernel 2.2.13)

I've read and re-read TFMs (ie. HOWTOs, Mini-HOWTOs,
/usr/src/linux/Documentation), tried a bit web searching, fiddled with
BIOS, kernel, modules, isapnp all to no avail.

A few details of the most recent configuration:
BIOS: PnP OS - YES
Kernel: PnP support - NO
        Sound support - M (including soundblaster)
Resources as in isapnp.conf: irq=5 dma=1 & 3 io=0x220, 0x330 & 0x388. These
resources were taken from Win95 where they work perfectly well on the same
box. Relevant modules loaded are: soundcore, sound, uart401, sb, ocl3.

During booting a message saying that Audio, followed by list of resources
as in isapnp.conf, is Enabled OK.
lsmod shows the above modules, /proc/interrupts & /proc/ioports have the
right stuff. However /proc/dma shows dma 1 allocated to soundblaster, and
no sign of dma 3 allocation.

cat /dev/sndstat shows blank space in Installed drivers: and Card
configuration:.
Audio devices:
0: Sound Blaster 16 (4.16)
Synth devices:
0: Yamaha OPL3
Midi devices:
0: Sound Blaster 16
Timers:
0: System clock
Mixers:
0: Sound Blaster

First I've tried KDE CD Player, then workman (under KDE), and finally
installed dcd-0.80. Using either of the above gives the same result ie
crackling noises. Fiddling with mixer and volume doesn't help, changing
only volume but not the quality. On the other hand KDE Midi Player and
KDE Control Centre play WAV files without any problems.

Here is some stuff I picked from dmesg after failed attempts to play CDs:

hdd: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdd: command error: error=0x54
end_request: I/O error, dev 16:40 (hdd), sector 0
ATAPI device hdd:
        Error: Illegal request -- (Sense key=0x05)
        Illegal mode for this track or incompatible medium -- ( asc=0x64,
ascq=0x00)

The above repeats itself for sectors 2, 4 and 6.

I've also tried setting dma to 1 & 5.
This results in /proc/dma showing both 1 & 5 allocated to soundblaster.
However dmesg shows:
        Soundblaster audio drive <snip>
        SB 4.16 detected O.K. (220)
SB16 - Bad or missing 16 bit DMA channel.

This CD-ROM works O.K. for data CDs under linux. I've also tried
compliling kernel with PnP Support Yes, Sound Support Yes ( a few
cmbinations), setting PnP OS in BIOS to both Y and N, a few different
resource settings in isapnp. I've also tried using parallel port HP7200e
CD-RW to play CDs without any success. It seems like I've run out of
sensible ideas for the time being. Has anyone come across and solved a
similar problem?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

romek pitera
Direct your response to: r dot pitera at qmw dot ac dot uk

1. Can't get Vibra16 sound card going

Hi,

So far I have compiled the pcm driver into the kernel and created links
as noted in man pcm.  The pcaudio device exists but no pcm0 device
exists - am I just supposed to create a link.  After trying to launch
kde's cdplayer it closes and I get a message on tty0 that effectively
says that the application was looking for pcm1.
Appreciate any advice.

IanP

2. Q for skilled ones: SCSI Scanner

3. Doc/sound/VIBRA16

4. compiling ncurses

5. vibra16 chipset sound card

6. Reverse is possible through SAMBA??

7. Can LINUX use the Vibra16 sound system

8. linux fdisk

9. Vibra16, simultaneous sound

10. Chinon CDS-535 CD-ROM/Sound Blaster 16 SCSI-2 Mount problems

11. Problems with Vibra16 and ESD

12. Vibra16 soundcard problem...

13. VIBRA16,why so many problems with Linux?