Sound Blaster in Linnux

Post by \Comm'der Tomala » Thu, 13 Jun 1996 04:00:00

How can I use and program the SoundBlaster under Linux. Is there some kind
of /dev/sound device which I could open and use with ioctl or some thing like
that.

                Thanks, Luis Veiga ( Comm'der Tomalawk )

Sound Blaster in Linnux

Post by Peter Bollerm » Fri, 14 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>How can I use and program the SoundBlaster under Linux. Is there some kind
>of /dev/sound device which I could open and use with ioctl or some thing like
>that.

reconfigure the kernel, look in /usr/src/linux/README.

Peter

Sound Blaster in Linnux

Post by Joe Ma » Thu, 20 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>How can I use and program the SoundBlaster under Linux. Is there some kind
>of /dev/sound device which I could open and use with ioctl or some thing like
>that.

>            Thanks, Luis Veiga ( Comm'der Tomalawk )

DOn't have the details here, but the drivers are reasonably well
documented. It was all done by a guy from Finland. The file
is called something like snd???3.5. (Look at the Sound HOWTO,
or look in the sound directory for the kernel).

        Joe MAck

1. Sound blaster PCI128 and Sound blaster live

Hi,
        I am trying to setup linux (rh5.2) on 2 machines currently.
One of the machines has a Soundblaster PCI128 card on it and the other a
Soundblaster Live card.

I tried sndconf on the machine with the PCI128 it did detect it as the ensoniq
sb pci128 card but when it tried to play the sound sample it failed saying

sox: can't open output file /dev/dsp: operation not supported by device

What's the deal?? I tried chmod 666 /dev/dsp to no avail.

As for the SB live card. I have not tried setting up the sound at all.
I keep seeing posts saying that it is as yet unsupported but there was a
message way back in nov or dec 98 that some one had succeded in using the
ensoniq 1370 for it too.

Any help will be appreciated.
                                Arun.
PS: Would appreciate it if anyreplies could be emailed to me at

2. The best witnesses money can buy

3. Merge, Phone Blaster and Sound Blaster

4. How to get info from a file with sed/awk/perl

5. Sound BLaster Live and Graphics Blaster RIVA TNT Drivers

6. Permissions help

7. Drivers for Creative Labs Sound Blaster and Graphics Blaster RIVA TNT Drivers

8. export ioremap_nocache to modules

9. how to set up a sound blaster 16 sound card and a modem for dial-in

10. CD sound not using sound blaster

11. Sound: Sound Blaster PCI128 - Plse Help!

12. RH 7.2 && ISA Sound Blaster 16, no sound

13. Linux Rehat 6.0 ( Mandrake ) New Install - No Sound from Sound Blaster 16 - SCSI