Installation problem (Network and CDROM)

Installation problem (Network and CDROM)

Post by Theo van der Merw » Thu, 16 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I am using Redhat 5.0 from a CDROM installation on a 486 PC. During the
installation phase I am asked whether I would like to install Networking.
When I reply Yes, I am presented with a list of network cards. I have tried
different network cards (e.g. DLink DE220) all supposedly NE2000
compatible. However, the message "I cannot find the device anywhere on the
system" appears. During the LILO boot process, the NE2000 card does not
appear in the list of hardware detected (I also have a problem in mounting
the Creative CDROM drive). What steps can I take to diagnose and solve this
fundamental problem?

Thanks,

Installation problem (Network and CDROM)

Post by IggeP » Fri, 24 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I am using Redhat 5.0 from a CDROM installation on a 486 PC. During the
>installation phase I am asked whether I would like to install Networking.
>When I reply Yes, I am presented with a list of network cards. I have tried
>different network cards (e.g. DLink DE220) all supposedly NE2000
>compatible. However, the message "I cannot find the device anywhere on the
>system" appears. During the LILO boot process, the NE2000 card does not
>appear in the list of hardware detected (I also have a problem in mounting
>the Creative CDROM drive). What steps can I take to diagnose and solve this
>fundamental problem?

Ok, Well... NE2000 and the old sbide driver are mentioned to be at
conflict when the sbide module is loaded at boottime. You have to
append the CDROM:s adress ( also included in the module info at
boottime ) when loading it instead of autoprobing.

( sorry I can't be more specific... But It was a while ago I used the
driver. I just remember this was explained every time the module
loaded. Good luck...

Best Regards
                Igor Berg Mogielnicki

1. Boot up in single user mode with installation CDROM and enable the network connection

Hi,
    Do anyone know how to bootup a sparc station by the installation disk in
single user mode and enable network connection. This is suggested for
network ufsdump and ufsrestore.
    So the main issues could be
        1) swap the mini root into the physical memory so that partition
dump would affect disk partition table
        2) manually alter the /etc/default/login and touch a .rhosts file
for trusted remote console login
        3) move all swap space along different partition in single user mode
    All above may be impossible.
    Do anyone come up with any other new idea which can help to clone a
system without installing the os into the hard drive ?
Jone.

2. PawX11 and new pl14 kernel

3. Matrox Mystique ands X.

4. 1600x1200 capable X video card?

5. InfoMagic CDROM Installation on Reveal 4X CDROm

6. LINUX on a laptop

7. Networking problem - Works directly after installation fails after reboot no ifconfig or route problems (I think)

8. xterm fails after 2.1.114

9. R5 FTP Installation networking problems or X problems

10. Installation problem with S.u.s.e Linux 3.0 under Pentium 133 / creative cdrom 4x

11. CDROM to hard disk copy problem in installation

12. Red Hat 3.0.3 installation problems (cdrom)

13. Help! OPTICS 12X CDROM - installation problems